D-Nice True Hip Hop Stories Appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
If you're not watching these...you really need to be.

I really admire D-Nice's second act.

Comments

• thanks mc shan

yz seems like a nice guy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "yo, good lookin' Shan!"

Hilarious.

• "yo, good lookin' Shan!"

Hilarious.

yeah, I thought that part was funny. He does seem a little mad doggie. Almost like "Yo, good lookin' Shan, you f*ckin punk."

"yo, good lookin' Shan!"

Hilarious.

yeah, I thought that part was funny. He does seem a little mad doggie. Almost like "Yo, good lookin' Shan, you f*ckin punk."

I think he was rubbing it in: "Yo Shan, you stuck up MFer, you passed up your chance to be on the greatest posse cut ever. Ha ha, thanks bitch!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    "yo, good lookin' Shan!"

Hilarious.

I think he was rubbing it in: "Yo Shan, you stuck up MFer, you passed up your chance to be on the greatest posse cut ever. Ha ha, thanks bitch!"

Hey,

The real irony is that Shan's arrogant ass had the weakest career overall compared to the "Symphony" MCs (with the exception of Craig G, perhaps). Then again, as George Benson said, "and hindsight is 20-20 vision!!!"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    "yo, good lookin' Shan!"

Hilarious.

Hey,

The real irony is that Shan's arrogant ass had the weakest career overall compared to the "Symphony" MCs (with the exception of Craig G, perhaps). Then again, as George Benson said, "and hindsight is 20-20 vision!!!"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

always cracks me up when i hear the stories about how shan was in the studio with marley when they recorded rakim for "eric b is president" and "check out my melody" and they were laughing at ra! hindsight is 20-20 indeed

For cats old enough to remember: when BDP came out with "The Bridge is Over," how bad did that actually hurt Shan's rep and career ?

• For cats old enough to remember: when BDP came out with "The Bridge is Over," how bad did that actually hurt Shan's rep and career ?

I'm obviously not old enough to know, but hearing the song years after it was still a monster and I can only imagine how hard it must have come across when it first came out.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah YZ seems cool.

I watched the Dres one too, and that was cool.

These are like hi-def youtube vids or something though. they take forever to load!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    For cats old enough to remember: when BDP came out with "The Bridge is Over," how bad did that actually hurt Shan's rep and career ?

Yo,

"The Bridge is Over" did damage Shan's rep, but it was the C-R-A-C-K (and lack of evolution, stylistically too) that really deaded his career.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I remember the dollar store at the mall had tons of "Play It Again Shan" CDs. I eventually bought one because it was a dollar.

• For cats old enough to remember: when BDP came out with "The Bridge is Over," how bad did that actually hurt Shan's rep and career ?

Yo,

"The Bridge is Over" did damage Shan's rep, but it was the C-R-A-C-K (and lack of evolution, stylistically too) that really deaded his career.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I've got a Shan record I caught at the Chelsea flea that is autographed "To [whoever] stay off that crack." I guess we should do as he says rather than as he does. Ouch.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DEADED.

But the Marley Marl & The Juice Crew flourished afterwards.

Kill That Noise isnt held up as a great response, even though I liked it.

• Kwame: "I sampled this Martha Collins joint" and mentions Studio 1212.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

So that raises the question - Is it undisputed that Symphony is the greatest posse cut in rap history?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is it undisputed that THE SYMPHONY is the greatest posse cut in Rap History?

No question.

w/ SCENARIO up there, if that's a "posse" cut. Two Different groups.

• So that raises the question - Is it undisputed that Symphony is the greatest posse cut in rap history?

To me it goes.. symphony number one.. then argue a ton of song that could be two. But there can only be one king.

Another thing. Shan would probably sound good on it, but i'm glad Biz isn't on it sort of. I don't think he'd sound right.

last but not least. SHAN IS VERY DOPE TO ME. He didn't have the best albums but he was nice. So i won't bash him, but every piece of footage i've seen of him speaking just screams out.. PLEASE BLACKBALL ME FROM THE INDUSTRY.. i don't work well with others..I don't listen to suggestions..i don't need your help.etc.

Check out youtube for this video of him being interviewed with Funkmaster Flex. Big Daddy Kane and someone else is there as well. Humble is not in shans vocab.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Yeah, nobody was checking for him and Born to be Wild after. Tho, I'm sure he might have had the last laugh with the loot he probably made off of 12 Inches Of Snow.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i thought he spent all that snow money on snow.
    50 cent took krs's blueprint and ran with it, although at this point i can't think of anyone he could diss who would be exciting.

• It says the Blacksheep video is no longer available..wonder why? These are great.

To me it goes.. symphony number one.. then argue a ton of song that could be two. But there can only be one king.

Hey,

How would these rank?

-"Live at the BBQ"-Main Source
    -"Represent"-Showbiz & AG ft. Big L, Deshawn, and Lord Finesse
    -"Actual Facts"-Lord Finesse ft. Sadat X, Large Professor, Grand Puba
    -"Throw Your Set in the Air"-Cypress Hill ft. Erick Sermon, Redman, and MC Eiht
    -"Strange Fruit"-Pete Rock ft. Tragedy Khadafi, Cappadonna, and Sticky Fingaz
    -"Saturday Night"-Masta Ace, Inc. ft. Eyceurokk Uneek, and Lord Digga
    -"Don't Curse"-Heavy D & the Boyz ft. Pete Rock, CL Smooth, Grand Puba, Q-Tip, Kool G. Rap, & Big Daddy Kane
    -"Buddy" (Remix)-De La Soul ft. A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, and Monie Love (this one may not count)
    -"Leflaur Leflah Eshkoshka"-Fab Five
    -"Flip Mode Squad Meets Def Squad"-Busta Rhymes ft. Jamal, Keith Murray, Lord Have Mercy, Rampage, Redman

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Hey,

How would these rank?

-"Live at the BBQ"-Main Source
    -"Represent"-Showbiz & AG ft. Big L, Deshawn, and Lord Finesse
    -"Actual Facts"-Lord Finesse ft. Sadat X, Large Professor, Grand Puba
    -"Throw Your Set in the Air"-Cypress Hill ft. Erick Sermon, Redman, and MC Eiht
    -"Strange Fruit"-Pete Rock ft. Tragedy Khadafi, Cappadonna, and Sticky Fingaz
    -"Saturday Night"-Masta Ace, Inc. ft. Eyceurokk Uneek, and Lord Digga
    -"Don't Curse"-Heavy D & the Boyz ft. Pete Rock, CL Smooth, Grand Puba, Q-Tip, Kool G. Rap, & Big Daddy Kane
    -"Buddy" (Remix)-De La Soul ft. A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, and Monie Love (this one may not count)
    -"Leflaur Leflah Eshkoshka"-Fab Five
    -"Flip Mode Squad Meets Def Squad"-Busta Rhymes ft. Jamal, Keith Murray, Lord Have Mercy, Rampage, Redman

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Great picks...I would interchangely rank Live at the BBQ and Scenario at nos. 2 and 3 after The Symphony.

Also, may I humbly submit "Crooklyn" by the Crooklyn Dodgers, Special Ed, Buckshot and Masta Ace, as well as "Self Destruction" - yeah, I know, it was corny but still classique material.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "throw your sent in the air" isn't really a posse cut though... its just some dudes.

and Buddy is DEFINATELY a posse cut! why would that not count?

"throw your sent in the air" isn't really a posse cut though... its just some dudes.

and Buddy is DEFINATELY a posse cut! why would that not count?

Hey,

I was thinking because 3/4 groups (versus separate MCs) rocked on it. Perhaps, I misunderstood the rules. Also, I the "Crooklyn" joint. Also, I'll add on "1,2 Pass It" on the D&D Project (ft. Doug E. Fresh, Fat Joe, Jeru the Damaja, KRS-One, Mad Lion, and Smif-N-Wessun).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• there was a guy on here about a year or so ago that posted the be all to end all list of posse cuts.

i'll rank after i eat.....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    However much The Bridge Is Over damaged Shan's career...(seems like he'd have the last laugh with all the royalties from Snow's Informer)...Shan was much, much loved by the old school South Central LA rap scene. Go to certain old school nights in LA, like at Big Al's back in the day, and (I'm hazy on the names) but I think it was Afrika Islam and Mark Luv would be playing the hell out of some deep Shan cuts. Plenty of BDP too, as well as Ultramagnetic. But beyond how big Shan had been even when he came out and was getting all sorts of play at roller rinks and such, many LA mc's ran with his style as an alternative to doing the typical Run and LL impersonations. Anyway, I've never been to Queens...but I've never seen Shan loved and respected anywhere the way I've seen LA give it up for him.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    there was a guy on here about a year or so ago that posted the be all to end all list of posse cuts.

i'll rank after i eat.....

Yeah Cosmo did a mix which featured a hella lot of classic cuts. I always really liked The Grand Finale though not sure if that counts as it's just D.O.C. and NWA. Also hold a place in my heart for Pass The 40.

That YZ piece is really sad, didn't know anything about him being legally deaf at all.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    That YZ piece is really sad, didn't know anything about him being legally deaf at all.

no doubt

I'm digging these...hope he keeps em going

looks like I missed the Black Sheep/Dres vid.

D-Nice's blog/site has some nice photos including ones from the inauguration...
    http://blog.d-nice.com/

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Yo,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

His foray into wack hip house tunes probably didnt help either (this aint a hip hop record this is HOUSE....Arrgggghhhhh!)