FIELD TRIP: let's go to France to hear Modern Soul

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I'm proposing another official Soul Strut Field Trip.To answer the eternal question of why the French love le Modern Soul et le 80s funk so very much, we need to go straight to the source: two weeks touring the finest modern soul and 80s funk nights wherever they may be in that fine country.Are Jacques and Pierre spending their union wages on modern soul and cutting up the shag rug in the mother's basement? Or are there swank clubs in St. Tropez and Chamonix where the rich and beautiful vogue to slap bass? Only field work can provide the answers we crave. I suggest we start by contacting the last dozen or so deadbeat bidders and ask where they go in France to listen to the good stuff.Who's with me?

Comments

• I will bid on the trip, but I have no intention of going

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The trip shouldn't cost anything. I think the French Society of Deadbeat Modern Soul Collectros will provide us with a grant as a goodwill gesture.

If you have any dollar bin slap bass wonders, we'll take the records with us and distribute them amongst the young French needy.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I bet their bedroom walls are covered in printed out Paypal chargebacks.
    Like a shrine to screwing over Le Americanz.

• oh lord, i've heard what some french folks ride for in terms of modern soul and it's bad.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    LOL
    I agree wholeheartedly.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Are Jacques and Pierre spending their union wages on modern soul and cutting up the shag rug in the mother's basement? Or are there swank clubs in St. Tropez and Chamonix where the rich and beautiful vogue to slap bass?

• Imagine a whole country with mass amounts of unbathed Pierres and 'em bumping songs that sound like alt. takes of The Nigh Court theme song.

Yes! I want bottle service at the club that gets rocked by the Night Court theme! Take me to the VIP! First stop on the field trip!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    SYNTH OR DEATH

• SILK SCARF WITH A TRENCH COAT OR DEATH

• SILK SCARF WITH A TRENCH COAT AND EURO BOY JHERI CURL OR DEATH

Post pictures of Pierre's euro boy jheri curl or you're soft.

I imagine Pierre and Jacque looking something like this:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm down for this, I can bring them sealed copies of some raers in exchange for boarding. Let's so do this, I'm ready to knock on some doors and possibly some heads too.

Can we make a pit stop in Italy, too?

kthxbai

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They look something like this.

Do we want to hang out with them? I say this field trip should have a strict no tectonik policy.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm reasonably sure that if you pressed the MUTE button, footage of the French modern-soul club scene would look much like any other scene where mostly white collector-types gather to listen to old black records: earth tones, solemnity, nursed drinks, overly deliberate eyewear, etc. Nonetheless, part of me can???t help but imagine that the whole shit looks a lot like Wham's "Club Tropicana" video. I want to believe.

I'm pretty sure Club Tropicana is exactly what the French modern soul vibe is like. But hey, that's what the field trip is for.

Actually, maybe it's more like the Northern Soul scene, except with tighter jeans, more gauloises, and probably more pleather.

• There's definitely a lot more velour, one pants leg up and neon polo wears never went out of style.