Big L . . . Big Deal?

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
Ok, well I wanted to bring this up because it has been on my mind for quite some time. I like(d) Big L, I think his rhymes were cool and his overall music was decent - but I really don't hear/see how "great" this guy really was? Many people hype him up like dude had ill flows for days - but seriously I don't get it. I've heard a lot of his music but I get the feeling people put him in a higher category than what he really deserves? I'm not trying to be disrepectful but just curious as to all the talk. His tracks Ebonics and Flambouyant were cool, and I liked him most on the Showbiz & AZ posse cut "Represent". I guess what I'm getting at is why the hypeness? Also, was he bigger in NY and the east coast and I just don't get it because of geographical distance (I'm on the west)? I don't know, I think I just like Finesse and AG when it comes to the rhymes in DITC..................................................DJ Cire

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    He always had the illest verses on the DITC cuts.

Considering that 99.9% of kids these days have never even heard of him I don`t think he`s over-hyped. Kid was nice; wish he had produced more material before he bought it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Considering that 99.9% of kids these days have never even heard of him

what kids are you talkin about?

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    When that debut Big L album dropped I was so into it, the beats were OK but the rhymes man., its was all about the rhymes.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the rhymes man., its was all about the rhymes.

really though. Dude was absolutely incredible. when he rhymed you oculdn't help but listen. Incredibly word play, amazing delivery and a distinct voice to boot.

really could have changed the game, both him and pun were lyracists that kept my jaw dropped

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'll take BIG L over BIGGIE and TUPAC anyday of the week.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I dunno I guess I just mean 99.9% of kids outside NY? I basically mean that the soulstrut board being composed of hip-hop (and other assorted music) heads, it's easy to lose sight of how off the radar some of these MCs are to the general public. but yeah I guess he gets his props from heads (but mainly in NY).

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    When that debut Big L album dropped I was so into it, the beats were OK but the rhymes man., its was all about the rhymes.

I live on the west and have always liked Big L. I just lock into his flow when I hear him. "Devils Son" "Put it On" ..dude was ahead of most cats at the time and today. I always wonder what impact he would have on the commercial game right now, If still alive.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think it also is the feeling that he had so much more to offer. It felt like just the beginning for someone so exciting and dynamic. I guess that's what makes me like his stuff so much, I like it for all that it could have been.

I am so mushy today.

I dunno I guess I just mean 99.9% of kids outside NY? I basically mean that the soulstrut board being composed of hip-hop (and other assorted music) heads, it's easy to lose sight of how off the radar some of these MCs are to the general public. but yeah I guess he gets his props from heads (but mainly in NY).

Well i never monitored the message board worlds feelings of Big L, but I do know that everyone i talk rap with, everyone I run with etc.. know of big L. So i think saying 99.9% is pretty crazy.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    well being that he was on Rawkus he had a maximum impact..

But in reality he mad ea pretty huge impact in the short period he was blowing up... He was getting props form Gang Starr at the height of their popularity, plus he did have access to the independent/underground audience of Rawkus... His rhymes though and how he could change pase and style on drop of a dime... He still is in rotation everywhere I have lived (Ohio > NC > CA)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    MAJOR co-sign.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    see if you can track down any of his freestyles. I lost em all when my comp crashed, but listen to them and you'll beleive. They're right up there next to Biggie except L would flow for what seemed like forever and it was totally live not some "Im gonna kick a few lines from a verse here and there."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He was getting props form Gang Starr at the height of their popularity, plus he did have access to the independent/underground audience of Rawkus...

yeah but by the time L was on the verge weren't these two audiences pretty much the same?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    He was getting props form Gang Starr at the height of their popularity, plus he did have access to the independent/underground audience of Rawkus...

yeah but by the time L was on the verge weren't these two audiences pretty much the same?

True, but at the same time his name had been resonating in the general audience as far aback as hard to earn (I know not that far back... but you kow what I mean)... Kind of before there was the whole Commercial v. underground split

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    He was about to get signed to Rocafella right before he died. That would have been crazy, but then again when you look at the way they've handled MOP...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He was about to get signed to Rocafella right before he died. That would have been crazy, but then again when you look at the way they've handled MOP...

mop's been in limbo for way too long. bad boy...roc...now they're on g-unit?

also: big l + kanye =

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Anyone have that freestyle with Big L and Jay-Z together? L definately outshined Jay on that night. He was taken away too early, I can't help but wonder what he'd be today if he were still alive.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Damn - I forgot about "Put It On" - werd..........

Guzzo: Pun too? I dont' know if i'll give you that one......! Just the sound of his breathing got to me after a while...!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    MAJOR co-sign.

well not to get too rap nerd on the subject I always felt that comparting a lyracist like Big L to a rapper like tupac was a major apple & orange type thing. Never did Tupac truly try to get creative with his rhymes he was much more about relaying a particular messagw whether it was political or gangster never did he try to make you say "damn" thats an amazing way of putting that message together.

Biggie and Big L on the other hand did seem to try to push the lyrical envelope and play a rhyme game of "top this" not with each other, but with every other rapper out there.

Wow I'm officially a geek now

• slushslush 691 Posts
    I think if you???ve ever remixed Big L you get a true sense of just how amazing he was. Ive done mixes of MVP and Put It on???. both times I was just in awe at how well he could flow with anything I put against him. You could let him ride bagpipes and a souvenier bongo and it would still flow. That said I think a lot of his actual beats were really weak. but when you hear him on a hot beat like the Yes You May remix it puts his awesomeness in perspective.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Anyone have that freestyle with Big L and Jay-Z together? L definately outshined Jay on that night. He was taken away too early, I can't help but wonder what he'd be today if he were still alive.
    Yeah I got that on wax very dope...I love those Freestyle history lps

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Guzzo: Pun too? I dont' know if i'll give you that one......! Just the sound of his breathing got to me after a while...!

yes, I gotta include pun. the breathing thing could be annoying to some but I thnk it had a certain charm. He also had this fast rap style that wasn't quite on that das efx/ fushnikens level that made him seem clear and concise.

I don't expect everyone to feel this way but I dare you to listen to Fat Joe's Jealous One's Envy album and tell me that Puns one verse on the LP isn't the strongest thing on there

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

yes, I gotta include pun. the breathing thing could be annoying to some but I thnk it had a certain charm. He also had this fast rap style that wasn't quite on that das efx/ fushnikens level that made him seem clear and concise.

I don't expect everyone to feel this way but I dare you to listen to Fat Joe's Jealous One's Envy album and tell me that Puns one verse on the LP isn't the strongest thing on there
    Man I have some mixtape that is blank but there is a track with Nas, Pun, Jada, Fat Joe, and I think Raekwon. Pun Slaughters everybody... He drops some "Even with a stutter I will still shi-shi-shi-shit on you" style cat was dope

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    well being that he was on Rawkus he had a maximum impact..
    The YES YOU MAY REMIX is the pre RAWKUS shit. When that hit the airwaves........cats was like "WTF!!!!"

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Speaking of Pun and Biggie, I'm still wondering how these outrageouly overwieght katz pulled all the honey's - always talking 'bout sex..... Gotta luv em for that!

Speaking of Pun and Biggie, I'm still wondering how these outrageouly overwieght katz pulled all the honey's - always talking 'bout sex..... Gotta luv em for that!

ummm $

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    thats for the clarification Doc (I was kidding tho)!

• Speaking of Pun and Biggie, I'm still wondering how these outrageouly overwieght katz pulled all the honey's - always talking 'bout sex..... Gotta luv em for that!

ummm $

BIG pulled Faith Evans before he even had rap dough.
    Pun got married when he was still a slim Christopher Rios.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It really doesn't get any better than "Devils son". Not rap, not music, not life in general. A Big L album released in '93 with the DITC cats on production would have been a masterpiece. So no, don't think he was overrated, but a victim of label politics and bs. Give me a time machine and a hefty wad of cash, and it's a done deal.

BIG pulled Faith Evans before he even had rap dough.

yeah that one boggled my mind.

he is a big walleyed lookin muhfucka