recommend a good front end preamp for my daw

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Any suggestions? I need something to improve the sound BEFORE it goes into my soundcard ( I have a presonus firepod). I just want to make ish sound a little more warm sounding before it hits my hard drive.

Comments

• What DAW program?b, 21Can you go into your soundcard via spdif or lightpipe?b, 21how many channels at one time?b, 21b, 21Mic Pre?b, 21Line level only?b, 21b, 21compressor needed?

• I just picked up one of these and I'm really happy with it b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.apiaudio.com/ph1_a2d_m.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21It has a pair Api 312 pres in it which are considered classics and also has a digital converter built in. So if you have spdif in on your sound card you're set. I'd recommend it if you're doing alot of instrumental recording, guitars piano drums bass ect. Probably not the best for vocals though...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you're talking about multi-channel the Grace m801 is the truth, especially with the remote. Even handles ribbons just fine w/minimal noise. Not a "colored" sound though, just very clean.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/emil.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21If you want versitile color on one channel then the Millenia TD-1 is killer for running synths into. Has both solid state & vacuum tube w/parametric EQ. Watch out though cause I have seen two smoke out and have to be sent back and replaced (company did this free of charge though)

• I use sonar but also have an m audio card and pro tools m powered. My presonus and my m-audio sound card has spdif, but to be honest I have no idea what it does or how too use it. I know nothing about compressors either but I want a preamp for vocals and line level instruments/samplers. I was thinking of tracking things one or two tracks at a time but if I can afford something more I might splurge right now(when I say right now I really mean like feb or march)I think 1500 is my limit.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21If you're talking about multi-channel the Grace m801 is the truth, especially with the remote. Even handles ribbons just fine w/minimal noise. Not a "colored" sound though, just very clean.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21damn 4 grand is a little out of range for me. How about the Grace m101?b, 21http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/m101//a1

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Ooops,b, 21b, 21Um, yeah DAW = Digital Audio Workstation.b, 21Phono preamp, no go!b, 21a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation" target="_blank"1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation/a1

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm in no position to treat my room until I move and don't really want to upgrade my monitors. Should I even bother with any outboard right now? I was thinking about putting together a Lunchbox but if I ain't even going to be really hearing it then what's the point? Synths and drum machines only; no vocals.

• Well, your monitors should be appropriate to the size room you are mixing in. Ouboard is great and all but if you are assembling your production ITB via tracking one element at a time, then one good outboard chain should do the job. Lunchbox/500 is cool (my whole console is this format) but there are alot of cool rackmount pieces that accomplish this in one box because they can run on higher power rails. Some even have a/d options. b, 21b, 21Treating a medium size room with 703 is going to be about 400 dollars if you do everything yourself. But that, of course, will make the biggest difference.b, 21b, 21For synths and drum machines, I shotout a bunch of 500 series pres and the 512C hands down slayed most everything FWIW.

• So basically I've got my rig running into an old MOTU 828 and I pump it out through DigitalPerformer 3 or some shit and Event 20/20s. I still use a goldface ADAT for an a/d converter. Treat my room? Sheeeeyit.b, 21b, 21Is this OK for my long-awaited, private pressed outsider rap LP???

• You're rereleasing the old stuff?

• Well I am going to do that in time (and I am getting/already have some WORK that people do not know on the internets. Bay Area 1994 steez) b, 21b, 21But actually I have been working on my own private issue shit. No label, no rules, small issue, probably vinyl (and mp3) only.

• Looking forward to it. Instant raer. I can dig it. Trying to push units at this juncture is futile.

• since you're making everything ITB,i'd suggest to upgrade your converters first,cause they're the main step in digital recording;that would be the FIRST big improvement in your sound..(apogee,lynx etc..)b, 21On the preamp subject,Thes gave you some good tips..if it's your first preamp,i'd go with the grace m101 though;it costs around 550$ in the USA and works really fine..b, 21Peace

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21since you're making everything ITB,i'd suggest to upgrade your converters first,cause they're the main step in digital recording;that would be the FIRST big improvement in your sound..(apogee,lynx etc..)
    b, 21On the preamp subject,Thes gave you some good tips..if it's your first preamp,i'd go with the grace m101 though;it costs around 550$ in the USA and works really fine..
    b, 21Peace
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The Gracie m101 looks good... Also looking at the TL audio joint. Right now it's gonna be either a new preamp or a new audio interface. Since I have a interface already (even though it's cheap ass), I just figure I look for a good quality preamp then later upgrade the interface. Thanks for the recommendations guys... Much appreciated!