financial advice - divorce

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
sorry for another non record post, but i really need some help.b, 21b, 21basically i need to know if its possible to make money disappear, or hide it, or put it somewhere my wife can't get it.b, 21b, 21she is trying to get a one off settlement before we file the divorce papers jointly. she changed her mind at the last minute after saying she wouldn't take a penny off me. at least she is not suing me or having me served, but what she wants is totally unfair and unreasonable.b, 21b, 21i've got some money in a stocks and shares portfolio which i had before i met her, which i guess she has access to half. i am willing to give her some money to avoid disputing the divorce and dragging it through the courts, but if things go south and we can't agree then she might come after me.b, 21b, 21what can i do? go offshore, set up a holding company, a charity, sell everything and put the cash in a safe in my house/give it to someone???b, 21b, 21thanks

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Depending on where you live, she may not have a claim to any stocks/property acquired before the marriage.

• Short answer, no. Any transfer you make will show on your statements.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm no lawyer, but my experience (with the folks) tells me that you are likely screwed.b, 21b, 21but, assuming you have not yet been filed divorce papers, you might want to check with a tax lawyer about the gift tax. If I recall from my college tax years, I think you can roughly give $10k annually without a tax burden (or a limited one). b, 21b, 21so maybe you give money in late '08 and early '09 to a trusted family member, and see if at a later date they can "reimburse" you that money at little-to-no tax burden to them.b, 21b, 21i suspect this isn't proper (or even illegal), but it might be worth your time to check and see if its a possible loop hole.b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108139,00.html#4" target="_blank"1IRS Gift Tax FAQ/a1

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hide your records

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I hope you didn't write this from your home computer. b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21It's remarkable what kind of advice gets asked on this site.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've always heard that the cost of an attorney will put you ahead in the long run.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Spend it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Spend it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" 21

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Spend it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah you could buy a shit ton of raers, like stuff that you know will hold value when you need to sell. you could have yourself a killer little ebay sale and possibly make a profit.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I'm in the UK and had the shares long before i met her. Does this change things?b, 21b, 21does it make a difference that she was the one that cheated?b, 21b, 21going to talk to an IFA this week...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I hope you didn't write this from your home computer.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21LOL this was my first thought. I always thought surely the number one rule if you want to keep something secret is don't publish it on a public forum but then, what do I know?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Her getting half of everything is pretty standard me thinks. Does she want more than that?

• goodlord, sorry bro.b, 21b, 21im never getting married

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Depending on where you live, she may not have a claim to any stocks/property acquired before the marriage.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Get a lawyer.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Depending on where you live, she may not have a claim to any stocks/property acquired before the marriage.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Get a lawyer.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21"Call 1-800-Saba-Dab!"

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21goodlord, sorry bro.
    b, 21
    b, 21im never getting married
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I didn't have a pot to piss in when I got married, but if you are going into a marriage with some assets, b, 21b, 21One Word:b, 21b, 21PRE-NUP/font1

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Failing to prepare is preparing to failb, 21b, 21But a pre-nup seems like just preparing to fail.

• you may have made investments prior to meeting your wife but if they have gone up in value during the marriage then part of that profit may be hers. also, you can;t just dissipate joint assets without any repercussions. unless you are some kind of fiancial wizard, there is going to be a paper trail and you are going to get hosed super badly in the end. if the joint assets are in your name, then you hold on trust for her and she will be able to come after you in common law for breach of trust and follow the misappropriated funds into substitute assets (like raers). Even if you mix the assets with others' money so that it is unidentifiable, she will be able to trace those funds in equity. if you really want to breach your legal duties as trustee in a way that prevents her from recovering the whole amount you'll have to dissipate it on booze, drugs, and prostitutes but she'll still have an action for damages at common law for breach of a fiduciary duty. also, you can;t create sham trusts to hide money from her; anyone who participates with you in such a scheme will be liable at common law for knowingly assisting a breach. as other have pointed out, you shouldn't be writing about shit like this in a public forum that you're soon to be ex-wife's lawyer may discover.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21does it make a difference that she was the one that cheated?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21In Texas you would be allowed to kill her.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21other have pointed out, you shouldn't be writing about shit like this in a public forum that you're soon to be ex-wife's lawyer may discover.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21For real, log the F*ck off and hire yourself an attorney. If your soon-to-be-ex-wife has any sense, she's already done this herself.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21does it make a difference that she was the one that cheated?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21In Texas you would be allowed to kill her.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I've been told that the best way is to feed her a few drinks and then push her off a cruise ship.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21other have pointed out, you shouldn't be writing about shit like this in a public forum that you're soon to be ex-wife's lawyer may discover.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21For real, log the F*ck off and hire yourself an attorney. If your soon-to-be-ex-wife has any sense, she's already cataloged your soulstrut posts for the last couple years
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21she changed her mind at the last minute after saying she wouldn't take a penny off me. at least she is not suing me or having me served, but what she wants is totally unfair and unreasonable.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Oldest trick in the book, you are in the UK so you are pretty much screwed. PS. join the club, from personal experience it is shit img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    ok thanks one and all. could raj or someone delete this thread please?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Spend as much as you can on rare records. then spend a little bit on a whole stack of shit dollar bin fillers. b, 21Store your records in a shed or something, and make a proper costing of their value etc. b, 21Then when your wife aint around, you replace the rare ones with the shit ones, leave the rares at a mates house you can trust, and burn the fusking shed down (wife tied up inside optional)......