dj whores/nerds

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited July 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
got this idea from the rape donkeys review.how many of the dj's on this page are whores? whore = playing mainly hits, a couple unknown jams.how many of the dj's on this page are nerds? nerd = playing mainly unknown cuts, couple hits. i am a nerd type dj. and i get mad dancefloor action...questions about tunes... play decent sized crowds with no problems. as a rule i stay the fuck away from hotclubs. i don't play hip hop either (one or two cuts, and they aren't hits). if put in the situation to play all hits, i would rather do something else for money/fun. i call it choosing my battles.what about you??

Comments

• id love to play "hotclubs" and make good money never having to buy another record,but thats just me

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i guess you could say i play "hits" aka mainstream shit. i play a hip hop club that has me on strictly for the blends and remixes, so i still get the "who is this again" "what beat is this" approaches, but nothing like "wtf are you playing mayne"

and i play lots of exclusives (thanks intranet) so those are always questioned...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    The implication in this thread is that the music the "whores" play is of lesser value than the music that "nerds" play (i.e. the "whores" play music that is "popular" strictly because it is popular, not necessarily because they like it).

That's an unfair implication.

-e

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. I guess that makes me a wherd/nore

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    i guess you could say i play "hits" aka mainstream shit. i play a hip hop club that has me on strictly for the blends and remixes, so i still get the "who is this again" "what beat is this" approaches, but nothing like "wtf are you playing mayne"

and i play lots of exclusiv exclusives[/b] es (thanks intranet) so those are always questioned...

what do you do... record label?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

and i play lots of exclusiv exclusives[/b] es (thanks intranet) so those are always questioned...

what do you do... record label?

leaks...and the trusty CDX.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i guess nerd. but i don't want to assume that most of the folks at my nights don't know the tracks.

that said - i have never, and don't plan to ever, buy a record that i don't like even though i know it will do well in the club.

i think a good dj is a nerdy whore as opposed to whore-y nerd.

• strikeskistrikeski 95 Posts
    I used to be a nerd, now I wouldnt say I'm a whore cos I like most of the mainstream stuff I play...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I like ALL[/b] of the mainstream stuff I play...

im such a whore...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    got this idea from the rape donkeys review.

how many of the dj's on this page are whores? whore = playing mainly hits, a couple unknown jams.

how many of the dj's on this page are nerds? nerd = playing mainly unknown cuts, couple hits.

i am a nerd type dj. and i get mad dancefloor action...questions about tunes... play decent sized crowds with no problems. as a rule i stay the fuck away from hotclubs. i don't play hip hop either (one or two cuts, and they aren't hits). if put in the situation to play all hits, i would rather do something else for money/fun. i call it choosing my battles.

what about you??

What is an unknown jam or cut[/b]?

Please define mad dancefloor action[/b].

What qualifies as a hotclub[/b]?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

i think a good dj is a nerdy whore as opposed to whore-y nerd.

co-shizzle.
    But it depends on the occasion and crowd. Some crowds are filled with whores, and sometime its just nerds. And like a true whore, I try to please the crowd.

im such a whore...
    actually I dont play the stuff I dont like, bitchtits

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i 3 pussy.

but whore?

emynd>sendmethatlalaman.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. I guess that makes me a wherd/nore
    wherd

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

im such a whore...

that wasnt ment as an attack, i was just noting that i like the shitty shit too.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't DJ that often (can't mix properly), but whenever I get a chance to spin records at clubs or bars, I play my nerd-ish stuff. I don't want to make people dance only. If they dance OK, but I can also enjoy a cursing, hating, smiling or surprised audience.

I love to go to clubs with nerdish DJs. My favorite DJ doesn't even play Funk or Jazz. He plays whatever he feels like and I still enjoy all of his sets. Old school hip hop, Rock, Prog, old Pop, etc...

im such a whore...

that wasnt ment as an attack, i was just noting that i like the shitty shit too.

oh sorry, carry on now...

This is sad that so many people seem to be lining up to shout "I am a Whore and proud of it!" and "I love being a Nerd!" as if the 'definition' at the top of this extremely wrongheaded thread meant anything at all.

Am I the only one who finds this to be a completely asinine assessment of spinning music in clubs?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    This is sad that so many people seem to be lining up to shout "I am a Whore and proud of it!" and "I love being a Nerd!" as if the 'definition' at the top of this extremely wrongheaded thread meant anything at all.

Am I the only one who finds this to be a completely asinine assessment of spinning music in clubs?

no.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

somewhat - but i do think it has left room for elaboration.

i think it's not that asinine for SoulStrut though...you know?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

nothing is. well except doo doo, pee pee and ca ca

somewhat - but i do think it has left room for elaboration.

Touche...carry on!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

hell no.

see, lotusland makes bank off his store. regular dudes who are tryin to eat take the best gigs they can.. whether nerdy or whorey. not many dudes here are big baller dj's who can play whatever. and even in those cases, they more than likely have to answer to the promoters.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    asinine asinine asinine asinine asinine asinine asinine .

say it!

thx, for giving me a new favorite english word.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    got this idea from the rape donkeys review.

how many of the dj's on this page are whores? whore = playing mainly hits, a couple unknown jams.

how many of the dj's on this page are nerds? nerd = playing mainly unknown cuts, couple hits.

i am a nerd type dj. and i get mad dancefloor action...questions about tunes... play decent sized crowds with no problems. as a rule i stay the fuck away from hotclubs. i don't play hip hop either (one or two cuts, and they aren't hits). if put in the situation to play all hits, i would rather do something else for money/fun. i call it choosing my battles.

what about you??

Of course I'm a nerd. I'm on Soulstrut.

And anyway... I have no problem playing "hits." Shit, I like "hits." Most of the time, a record is a "hit" because it is a good record.

But on the strength, I'll do a mindless gig playing "hits" and get mega-paid off that shit. That way I can do a gig and "nerd out" for less money, but for the love.

I call it "winning the war."

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    no no no no no,

you got it all wrong. some of my best friends are whores. for real. i'm not saying there is anything wrong with either. just a difference. i am a nerd.

What is an unknown jam or cut? good song that man on the street doesn't know but likes when hears.

Please define mad dancefloor action.-people dancing without flux.

What qualifies as a hotclub?-playing current hits, crunk.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    But I'm not a "whore" in any sense.

Well maybe a couple, but not anything to do with DJing.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I play music that's would walk the streets elsewhere but wears glasses here.
    Do hotclubs play whitemusic? I have a feeling not

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    dj shadow = nerd/whore combo

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The most 'hittiest' things I played in my last set were

Busta Rhymes - Woo Hah
    Beastie Boys - Alive
    Marlena Shaw - California Soul
    Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic
    Colcut - The Payback Mix
    Diana Ross - No One Gets The Prize

This was in an inner city pub that likes oop disco, led zeppelin and old skool hip hop.

Most of the people there had never heard the majority of the music I was playing.

Maybe I should have got more modern and hitty, but I just dont feel a lot of the contempo chart steez of really recent times.. I can't lie to myself either.

Saying that, my set wasn't really really nerdy though, I threw in quite a few covers of older hits, so people kind of had a sense of familiarity. Plus I tried to play things that would appeal in terms of over-all sound.

It went down well.

I hate people who only want to hear strictly stuff they know.. thankfully this place isn't like that.