BLACK SHEEP - The Choice Is Yours

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
... on a J.C. Penny back to school clothing sale.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i heard that shit while i was in this record spot today but i didnt look up to see what commercial it was in between dude watching survivor and shit

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

cosmo.

dude played that right before you got to sway. i was thinking i'd be alright if i never heard it again.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

cosmo.

dude played that right before you got to sway. i was thinking i'd be alright if i never heard it again.

Motherfucker took that shit off when I walked in the room, he knew he didn't want me to stomp a crater in his ass.

"Murderooooooooy"

• everybody's favorite claymation dj just played it too

i wonder why?
    his show, by the way, hasnt changed at all in like 4 years. i listened a few weeks ago for the first time in ages and shit was really fuckin boring. like i sort of got my fill of domu white labels in 2001. am i an asshole?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    People really dont like this track?

I love it. Maybe it is nostalgia. But I love it. Perhaps overplayed, but hell I love it.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    People really dont like this track?

I love it. Maybe it is nostalgia. But I love it. Perhaps overplayed, but hell I love it.

It's classic. Of course, if I remember correctly the classic version of this classic song is actually the Remix.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love that song. It's played but it's classic. Just that it was on the commercial is all...

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    Eric B. and Rakim "Don't Sweat The Technique" was just used on some commercial too, forgot what it was... maybe a sports drink.

I hate shit like this, but its no surprise unfortunately; Who do you think works at these ad agencies? People our age. Its only going to get worse.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Yeah, im sure it is people our age.

I think im all for it, that is, if the artists are the ones who get paid. If Eric B and Rakim see some change from that commercial (isnt it champion?) and if Black Sheep see some coin for that JC penny ad, then cool. let em get paid.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Yeah, man. It's awful that Black Sheep and Rakim are getting money off commercials because you know that they are just raking in the cash nowadays.

On the real, I know what you mean, but think about it this way. Beyond the whole artist getting paid thing, it exposes a new generation to music that they would no longer hear. Where the fuck else (on a mainstream level) are you going to hear Black Sheep or Rakim? Not a lot, but some kids are going to watch the commercial, think to themselves "This song is dope!", find out who it is, and then get exposed to some hip hop that they probably wouldn't have any exposure to in this day and age. Isn't that pretty much how a good portion of us got onto the music discussed on this board?

• i think don't sweat the technique was used for some NBA on NBC shit

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, man. It's awful that Black Sheep and Rakim are getting money off commercials because you know that they are just raking in the cash nowadays.

On the real, I know what you mean, but think about it this way. Beyond the whole artist getting paid thing, it exposes a new generation to music that they would no longer hear. Where the fuck else (on a mainstream level) are you going to hear Black Sheep or Rakim? Not a lot, but some kids are going to watch the commercial, think to themselves "This song is dope!", find out who it is, and then get exposed to some hip hop that they probably wouldn't have any exposure to in this day and age. Isn't that pretty much how a good portion of us got onto the music discussed on this board?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for getting paid. I think it's great. It was just surprising a bit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Whoops, should have quoted dude's post. I was responding to dude who was saying that he hated seeing this kind of stuff.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    Yeah, im sure it is people our age.

I think im all for it, that is, if the artists are the ones who get paid. If Eric B and Rakim see some change from that commercial (isnt it champion?) and if Black Sheep see some coin for that JC penny ad, then cool. let em get paid.

I can't argue with that. But as a fan of the music, I just resent how advertising can change my association with these songs. Even if I manage to mute the commercials from time to time, I'll think of the product the next time I hear that song at home.

Obviously the Champion folks didn't get inside my head too much, but I remember last month, everytime I'd hear "Move On Up" by Curtis Mayfield, I'd think of that stupid Toyota commercial...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Eric B. and Rakim "Don't Sweat The Technique" was just used on some commercial too, forgot what it was... maybe a sports drink.

its actually a Target/Champion commercial. can't sweat him too much, the 18th letter has child support to pay.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

cosmo.

Motherfucker took that shit off when I walked in the room, he knew he didn't want me to stomp a crater in his ass.

"Murderooooooooy"

I'm thinking i prolly need a 5 year break from that and 'scenario' before i can really appreciate them like i used too.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Cosmo - don't let T**a hear you talk about Black Sheep that way or you'll be sleeping on the couch!

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

I hate shit like this, but its no surprise unfortunately; Who do you think works at these ad agencies? People our age. Its only going to get worse.

I think it was on a cell phone commercial too. Right??

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

I think it was on a cell phone commercial too. Right??

its a target commercial.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

its actually a Target/Champion commercial. can't sweat him too much, the 18th letter has child support to pay.

Ugg...it's Know The Ledge that i'm hearing lately on TV.

They had Don't Sweat the Technique on another one and can't forget Gangstarr's "Now You're Mine". I never get sick of that song though.

"CO-OPTING: it's a beautiful 'thang'"

[/gag]

I wonder if the artists are even getting paid and not some middle man douche bag or other some such Fuch.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

champion gear...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Anyone remember that GAP commercial where Rob Swift & Shortkut got it on to Dizzy G's Matrix?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    DAY the artists get paid, as well as middlemen (hey, they run the music industry)

Honestly if a commercial is making anyone here sick of these tunes then you watch too much TV. I have seen some of these commercials but they never supplant the original tunes in my mind. Now, I am in total agreement with Tom about "Choice Is Yours" and "Scenario"...

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I love that song. It's played but it's classic. Just that it was on the commercial is all...

I felt the same way the first time I heard/saw that KRS-One Nike ad...

but lately I've been all about "Gimmie The Finger" remix...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "Scenario" and "TCIY" and "TONY" and "Passin Me By" are probably the only four "classic hip-hop" songs that I will never hate on a DJ for playing. I've heard each of those songs at least 100 times and each time I'm like "God, I love this song."

-e

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Sauce Money? or somethin else?

Sauce Money? or somethin else?

b-side on this jammy:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Man, they need to BRING BACK those dope Sprite commercials of the early 90's. The Puba and Pete Rock/CL Smooth joints were my shiiiiiits!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Man, they need to BRING BACK those dope Sprite commercials of the early 90's. The Puba and Pete Rock/CL Smooth joints were my shiiiiiits!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

co-sign - don't forget the Heavy D and Kid n Play jawns too...

showemmymotto!