When was the last time you listened to FM radio?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Except for the classical station a few times its been a loooong time since I've listened to FM radio. I'll listen to the AM talk radio stations during my commute to kill time.b, 21b, 21Yesterday I was driving my wifes car and got the sudden urge to flip through the FM stations. And it dawned on my that I hadn't done that in a long time. I don't even know how long its been since I've flipped through the FM stations, much less actually listened to it. Its definitely been a few years since I actually sat and listened to and FM station for a while.b, 21b, 21b,121I only mention because I wonder if I'm the only one or if a lot of people are that way now. Most FM radio is geared towards kids, except for the classical and jazz stations, I guess.b, 21b, 21I went to the swap meet yesterday for the first time in a long time and somebody was playing the radio and there was a rap song where the guy said "knockers" and I laughed. I didn't know people still said that. I'm glad.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    No reponse? I thought this was a website about not listening to music.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I've been doing some research and asking how many people listen to the radio at my work. About 32% of people said they'll listen to KXNT (republican AM talk radio that my company advertises on). 10% said they like NPR, and I got less than a 2% responses on regular radio. The majority listens to there Ipods, or satellite radio. b, 21b, 21Even at work we only listen to Pandora, or whatever radio station I put on. b, 21b, 21I stopped listening to the radio in high school. I'll occasionally tune in to hear a friend play hip hop on our College station. b, 21b, 21- spidey

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Interesting!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    It's been at LEAST 10 years for me.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I listen to FM radio pretty much every day; very briefly for news and commentary when I get home from work am making dinner, a good stretch of C-Span going to and from the flea markets on Saturdays and Sundays, and the occasional hip hop/R&B/old school mix shows. b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21Most FM radio is geared towards kids, except for the classical and jazz stations, I guess.b, 21b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I don't think that's true. I think there's far more programming targeted at people who listen at work, during their commute, etc.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I listen to FM radio pretty much every day; very briefly for news and commentary when I get home from work am making dinner, a good stretch of C-Span going to and from the flea markets on Saturdays and Sundays, and the occasional hip hop/R&B/old school mix shows. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21Most FM radio is geared towards kids, except for the classical and jazz stations, I guess.b, 21b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I don't think that's true. I think there's far more programming targeted at people who listen at work, during their commute, etc. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Oh yeah, I forgot about the "worday mix" type stations. yikes.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I listen to the occasional radio show. One is a weekend talk show host (if I'm home that night), plus there's the occasional college-station music program. But I hardly ever just flip on the radio at random. Over the years, the bigger my record collection got, the less I've tuned into the radio...

• last night

• i have an awesome oldies low power FM station in my town that i tune into constantly.b, 21b, 21they have a way bigger selectoin than most oldies stations so its not just the same hits, they play really awful stuff too which is part of the charm. they even have an old rock and roll dj who comes on to host a "rarest of the rare" show...he shouts into his echo chamber how 'this record has never been played before untill today' and reminisces about back seats and drive in movies. b, 21b, 21i wish i more people did the LPFM thing

• steve harvey wake up show - alarm radio steez

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i have an awesome oldies low power FM station in my town that i tune into constantly.b, 21b, 21they have a way bigger selectoin than most oldies stations so its not just the same hits, they play really awful stuff too which is part of the charm. they even have an old rock and roll dj who comes on to host a "rarest of the rare" show...he shouts into his echo chamber how 'this record has never been played before untill today' and reminisces about back seats and drive in movies. b, 21b, 21i wish i more people did the LPFM thing b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21That sounds awesome. I would totally listen to that. I wish there were more radio stations for adults beyond the "Adult Contemporary" or "smooth jazz" shit. Something like this ^^^^ would be awesome.

• I wake up to fm radio and usually cook dinner while listening to a jazz station. I would probably listen to it more but I don't own a car img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" /1

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i have an awesome oldies low power FM station in my town that i tune into constantly.b, 21b, 21they have a way bigger selectoin than most oldies stations so its not just the same hits, they play really awful stuff too which is part of the charm. they even have an old rock and roll dj who comes on to host a "rarest of the rare" show...he shouts into his echo chamber how 'this record has never been played before untill today' and reminisces about back seats and drive in movies. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Sounds like this AM station Chicago used to have, about 4 or 5 years ago. WRLL -"Real Oldies." They concentrated on oldies from the fifties and pre-Beatles sixties, and just like you said, they'd throw in some of the most wretched teen-idol pop along with the canon classics like Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly. But, hey, that's how audiences heard it back then, and it was kind of amusing hearing it in the 2000's.b, 21b, 21But then there was a short period where the FM oldies station switched formats, and WRLL felt the need to start playing more common sixties oldies to fill the gap. All of a sudden, they didn't sound so good anymore, and after we got a new FM oldies station, "Real Oldies" changed formats itself. Good while it lasted, though.b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i wish i more people did the LPFM thing b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Yeah, except for the "LP" part... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /1

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i hear FM all day every day but only because other people here at work listen to itb, 21b, 21Power 105, Hot 97, Z100b, 21b, 21when i am driving in or around NYC i have a tendency to listen to 880 AM a lot! traffic related!b,121b, 21but yea almost never by choice

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I listen to FM radio pretty much every day; very briefly for news and commentary when I get home from work am making dinner, a good stretch of C-Span going to and from the flea markets on Saturdays and Sundays, and the occasional hip hop/R&B/old school mix shows. b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Most FM radio is geared towards kids, except for the classical and jazz stations, I guess.b,121b, 21b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I don't think that's true. I think there's far more programming targeted at people who listen at work, during their commute, etc. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Oh yeah, I forgot about the "worday mix" type stations. yikes. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21It's not just the "grown folks" music stations, though. Even the more contemporary hip-hop/r&B and hard rock stations need to target adults, if only because kids are locked-down at school away from radio for a good chunk of the programming day, whereas adults can listen throughout the day at work or in their cars. I know most of the 40-50 year olds at my work stay up on all the latest T.I., Rhianna, Green Day, or whatever.

• All the time. The grown folks stations are pretty damn good, I like rap so I got the kmel poppin', and my local college radio stations have been killing it lately

• sundays latin spotlight on WBAI in New York. Showcases classic nuyorican sounds. This is independant non commercially funded radio though. Radio Libre!b, 21b, 21you can also stream over the intertubes. worth a listen.b, 21b, 21b, 21 http://wbai.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3586&Itemid=42/a1

• In L.A. I always have the KCRW pon blast

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    College radio to hear some indie stuff and community radio with some good talk shows but that's about it.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I stay listening to the radio in the car, even the top 40 rap stations. The main playlist is weaksauce but the mix DJ's on Power 92 and WGCI kill it regularly. b, 21b, 21I also rock V103, which is the older/urban/dusties/stepper station. Classic soul and funk for days. b, 21b, 21If the songs are weak on all of those, then I turn on NPR. b, 21b, 21My wife and I turned on NPR last Saturday morning at home, which is rare. She looked at me and said, "Listening to NPR while making breakfast on a Saturday morning at 9:30? I think we're ready to be parents." b, 21b, 21She's very right.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I love the radio format and it's really sad the way it's died over the past 20 years, for so many different reasons (another thread).b, 21b, 21I listen to KMEL pretty much exclusively when I'm up in the Bay, mostly because everything else other than a few college shows is trash. The number of actual shows on KMEL just keeps on dwindling though.b, 21b, 21There is so much fantastic music out there, made in this country, that is not rare or obscure in the slightest, that everyday people don't know because it's never on the radio. There are so many fantastic 2 hour shows on public/college radio that aren't heard because 90% of the station's programming is total crap.b, 21b, 21Honestly, and I've thought about this many times, if I ever struck it real wealthy the first thing I'd do would be to buy a radio station and hire friends to DJ it, round the clock, commercial free.

• Been on the satellite tip for almost four years now. Howard in the mornings, NPR, comedy or music in the afternoons.

• MPR/The Current/KMOJ all day every day

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Honestly, and I've thought about this many times, if I ever struck it real wealthy the first thing I'd do would be to buy a radio station and hire friends to DJ it, round the clock, commercial free. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NNFB2YC1L._SS500_.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21Good Luck

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Radio is never gonna comeback and become the drivin force for musical tastes.b, 21b,121I listen to the Quiet Storm for a little bit before I go to bed. Maybe some Old School at noon while at work when i remember. After that - its a wrap. b, 21b, 21I grew up listening to WBLS all day. Hip Hop at night and underground in the middle of the night.b, 21b,121With the industry walking on its last legs, its a wrap.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Been on the satellite tip for almost four years now. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21i have too and i've never looked back. there's just too much good shit on there. i almost wish my commute was longer so that i could catch more. it's crucial for longer trips.b,121b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21I listen to the Quiet Storm for a little bit before I go to bed.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21about the only thing i check for on FM anymore.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    A few hours ago. I'm in a small market town, so all of the local programming is stored on some database in Denver, so if I drive to Walla Walla, Yakima, Spokane, or Issaquah, I'm going to hear the same iPod playlist. An oldies station was replaced with the "Star FM" format, which is a mix of whatever, and it's terrible.b, 21b, 21There are three classic rock stations, and one is fairly recent when there's a DJ named Michelle Michaels. She used to be known as Mother on another station, and she's one of the few who plays music she brings in. Sometimes I'll tune into the smooth jazz station just to cringe at the shit I hear on there.b, 21b,121I'm better off playing MP3 CD's, which I do most of the time.

• i listen to the radio errrry day!b,121npr obviouslyb,121oldiesb,121quiet stormb,121'the beat' thats my shit, stacey q and some freestyle and some strafe mixed up with whatever the kids are listening tob, 21and classic rock

• only in the car, but that is everyday. b, 21b, 21It's basically KMEL, 94.9, and Movin (go ahead and clon) when the other two are on commercials or are playing Plies.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121only in the car, but that is everyday. b, 21b, 21It's basically KMEL, 94.9, and Movin (go ahead and clon) when the other two are on commercials or are playing Plies. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I listen to wild; honestly it's to know what I need to bump in the clurbb,121b, 21but movin'?b,121b, 21WORK IT GIRL img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" /1