How to have someone design an maintain a website?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I have a rinky dink website that I made with godaddy, but I was wondering how much it would be if I wanted to step my game up and have someone design one for me. Is there a monthly charge or is it a one time fee for designing the site?

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Naturally depends on the site. If it's a blog (music or other) why not just install WordPress and find a decent enough layout.

• hmm, i think i'm going to check wordpress out. But actually it's gonna be a site promoting me and my partners company. But maybe doing it blog style might work...

• Typically a one-time fee for design work, then a smaller recurring fee from a hosting company. b,121b, 21I'd suggesting finding someone who's savvy with photoshop, dreamweaver, XHTML and CSS and paying them to hook it up with a CMS (content management system) such as Drupal or Joomla. Now that's probably greek to you, but you asked!

• yes it is greek... thanks!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Plus one for Joomla! - it's such a good system, and if you choose a host with Fantastico it's super easy to get up and running.

• i design / build websites. i also specialize in customizing the wordpress software (nudge).b,121b, 21this is how i work -- i can't speak for most, but seems pretty standard for the people i do know:b,121b, 21i personally can go in two directions -- the first is a per hour fee, which can be anywhere from $35 - $65 (or more for super serious mind-numbing schitt) depending on the complexity of the project. the second is a per project price, which is also (again) based on the complexity. the latter option tends to be an overall better option, as it allows me to spend as much time as i need getting things just right w/o having to track all the hours. b,121b, 21the fee gets paid half (up front) and half (upon completion). there is no monthly cost involved, as the site is usually built around wordpress (CMS) and allows you to self update the content. the only sort of fees that come into play are if you need me to make a change to something after it's up, add or subtract, or technical help. that fee would be determined in prior to the building of the site and is usually $25 per hour for the first 3 hours and then increases the longer i have to work.b,121b, 21like aschrock said -- find someone who is well versed in xhtml / css. i'd recommend using someone who hand codes instead of using dreamweaver (dreamweaver = 4 star restaurant, hand coding = personal chef). also someone who knows about web standards and cross platform/browser compatibility (ie most websites render nicely in firefox / safari / opera / etc, but don't in anything prior to internet explorer 7.0). b,121b, 21/shameless/ if you want to see some work or want further help, feel free to pm me.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/GetOnMyComp_gm.jpg" alt="" /1b,121b, 21did i mention that i design and code websites?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hey breadwinner.. you making a living off of your website work right now? b, 21b, 21I've been dangling between the thought of returning to my Graphic design days.b,121b, 21- spidey

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Get someone to design you a proper website that can be maintained by you. It is better for all involved in the long run.b, 21b, 21From a developer standpoint, it is usually better to build a project and move on as the piddly little updates get annoying and the returns diminish*. You will notice them getting slower on the response and you'll start looking for someone else to help out.b, 21b, 21*Unless it's a corporate client you can bill 1hr for just reading their email.

• it's off an on -- last year was not so good, but this year has been great. i think my only real problem is working from home -- i hate being here 24/7. i'm feeling like getting a real gig -- maybe in 09.