James Alexander of Bar-Kays and Father of JazzyPha

fhillysubtle1fhillysubtle1 355 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Weird, I saw Sway interviewing them on mtv, he was talking about the infamous plane crash and how he (James) was one of two passengers of 12 chosen to travel via a different plane. Other Producers with famous dads?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    gonna stray off course for a second...it is spooky that the band that opened for Otis Redding right before the plane crash was called "the Grim Reapers"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Other Producers with famous dads?

Kerry Chandler's dad was the drummer in Cameo.

• madlibs did is who?

• madlibs dad is who?

his uncle

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    madlib's uncle, John Faddis, was a trumpet player on a couple mingus and gillespie albums

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Not a producer, but Professor X's dad was Sonny Carson.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    That Kid Miles has apparently got some Little Feat.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Let's not forget The Alchemist.

• who is alchemists' pop?

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I'm a huge Hutch fan...Cold 187um had Willie as uncle and Richard as dad...They both was on Motown. Dad was a writer if i'm not wrong.

Ronson's dad is still gettin' royalties checks i think...Syleena and Syl. Oh and let's NOT forget the bond between Charles Wright and Eric. Rumors about him being his father had been squashed by Charles himself, but he said he wasn't his pop, not that they wasn't relatives... ;-)

For my UK headz, Carleen Anderson had Vicky Sue as mom and Mr Byrd as step-father. This one alwyas bugged me out since i always liked Young Disciples, specially in 1993/94. And i had a love jones for Vicky too!!!lol...

Millie Jackson and Michael???

Sorry...I'm out. Bad Joke...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Sleepy Brown's father I believe was in Dazz.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    QDIII is Quincy Jones' kid.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Sleepy Brown's father I believe was in Dazz.

I think you mean BRICK

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    madlibs did is who?

otis jackson sr put out some very mediocre (based on what i've heard) indie soul records

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Willie Mitchell's sons produce local Memphis Hip Hop. Willie hates it..."always recording that rap shit!"

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Meech Wells is the son of Mary Wells and Otis from The Temptations.

Salaam Remi is the son of Van Gibbs(Spring Records/ Fatback, Mille Jackson)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

And DT from Kool & The Gang is your Godfather!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Weird, I saw Sway interviewing them on mtv, he was talking about the infamous plane crash and how he (James) was one of two passengers of 12 chosen to travel via a different plane.

My hommie Vitamin D's dad was the lead guitarist in "modern soul" group Ozone.

Of course Droop E's dad is 40 Water.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Weird, I saw Sway interviewing them on mtv, he was talking about the infamous plane crash and how he (James) was one of two passengers of 12 chosen to travel via a different plane.

Not dad, but Pha's mom is Deniece Williams - yes, as in 'Free' and 'Let's Hear it for the Boy' Deniece Williams...

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts

And DT from Kool & The Gang is your Godfather!

Yeah, but we tend to downplay these things.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    not producers, but

Nas - Olu Dara
    Djinji Brown - Marion Brown

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Jazzy Pha is soul music royalty. Not only is father one of the original Bar-Kays, Denice Williams is his mother!

that's ill right here...
    Just the whole Bar-Kays LP collection would make you start doin beats...

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Otis's private plane wouldn't hold them all so they took turns taking commercial flites. James just lucked out. Ben Cauley SUPER lucked out! Dude surrvived the crash!

• if by lucked out you mean having to witness the deaths of 9 loved ones then yeah i guess

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    THA BLIZZADs dad wrote funky town, now THATS a talented family tree.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    if by lucked out you mean having to witness the deaths of 9 loved ones then yeah i guess

By lucked out I mean keeping your own life and being able to go on and play on several historical pieces of music. Hell, you can even hear Ben on the new Hustle & Flow score. I've personally met Ben on several occasions and you can tell that was probablly the most terrifing and sadning day of his life. But it didn't keep him from living. He is a very spiritual guy and in his heart he'll be back with his boys soon enough.