The Soulstrut MP3 trading club (FS/Serato Related)

silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, Im sure this isin't the ultra PCist thing to do on a wax collectors forum, but seriously, as a collector of good and rare music, I just wanna hear the best shit out. Everyone on here has been talking about the FS/Serato bizness... but most of the FTPs and DL sites are complete bullshit for the really rare stuff (aside from comped shit, but that it a whole 'nother story). I would be down to possibly contribute server space and rip some of my rarest/best stuff if others were willing to do the same. I would love to have a place for private quality downloads for records/songs that havent been reissued.

Anywon on here down for such an endevour?

Kevin? Philmost?

How would this work?

I would say a good starting point would be to rip 10 - 20 rares at a certain rate to ensure playability in club/systems (160 kbs, with NO compression, but recorded loud and without excessive EQing_?, preserving as much recording integrity as possible) or perhaps people could donate server space in exchange for access to said server.

I think it could work out wonderfully for the doods ...

but I don't nessasarily think it should be break-centric, meaning, I'm not aiming to blow peoples spots or whatever, just wanna hear some really dope tracks.

Anyways...
feedback would be appreciated.

Sixtoo / Silvertoner.

Comments

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Martin: you ever tried to find some really rare shit out there with a decent rip that hasn't been done by some kid at 90 kbs and EQ's to shit? Im talking seriously quality rips.

• i'd love to get on this list

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    actually: I'm serious about this shit. If I can't own it on record, I wan't a good quality dub. If people wanna get down for it, you can add feedback here and email me personally

[email]drumsandloops@sixtoo.net[/email]

• R*b,
    I'd be down - as someone who has experienced the letdown of finding, say, Marius Cultier's Ouelele Souskai on mp3 on slsk, only to find half the tracks are tattered to shit, having a forum where one could find good rare stuff with quality rips could be a really good thing. Besides, finding stuff like the above on slsk is always an arduous chore...(sidenote: I copped a 1st l'Infonie for a buck a month back!)

N. on Expo Island

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

This is a good idea, not only for the serato crowd, but for those who wanna hear some weird ish without dropping a c-note on something they might vibe offa for 15 minutes.

If the soulstrut room on soulseek had more regulars, that would be a cool spot.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    have you guy's ever put down $5 a month and use soulseek? you're results show up a lot faster and when you download u get the sheit right away, no queing b.s. even the programmers said that more searches show up when u lay down the $5 bones. i stopped it cause it got to a point where i have too many albums, so i have to listen to those first...plus its a good way to crash your hard drive with all the downloading.

• If the soulstrut room on soulseek had more regulars, that would be a cool spot.

Co-sign... also, I'll blow my own spot: beat-clover. mp3 raer for eons...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't think finding the music is an issue - finding a quality MP3 that you can play out/listen to on a decent system is a whole 'nother story.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    I'm down, but my contributions might be a little... um... different.... if you know what I'm saying....

Do you like easy listening?

• sign me up

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    sixtoo PM me man... i have a server already configured.. used to be run by yer old buddy catano... now its on my old imac.

• Options
    Yeah Rob, Andy's going to bring me out for The Goods party sometime soon, so we must link while I'm there.

K.

• Ok, Im sure this isin't the ultra PCist thing to do on a wax collectors forum, but seriously, as a collector of good and rare music, I just wanna hear the best shit out. Everyone on here has been talking about the FS/Serato bizness... but most of the FTPs and DL sites are complete bullshit for the really rare stuff (aside from comped shit, but that it a whole 'nother story). I would be down to possibly contribute server space and rip some of my rarest/best stuff if others were willing to do the same. I would love to have a place for private quality downloads for records/songs that havent been reissued.

Anywon on here down for such an endevour?

Kevin? Philmost?

How would this work?

I would say a good starting point would be to rip 10 - 20 rares at a certain rate to ensure playability in club/systems (160 kbs, with NO compression, but recorded loud and without excessive EQing_?, preserving as much recording integrity as possible) or perhaps people could donate server space in exchange for access to said server.

I think it could work out wonderfully for the doods ...

but I don't nessasarily think it should be break-centric, meaning, I'm not aiming to blow peoples spots or whatever, just wanna hear some really dope tracks.

Anyways...
    feedback would be appreciated.

Sixtoo / Silvertoner.

I have been thinking about this for a minute now. its crazy how that works. actually wrote it down in my ideas/sketch book(no castillo).

i would def be down to contribute.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Count me in with some rare jazz from Argentina!

Is there a Soulseek room for strutters? We can create one. What do you think?

• what about Usendit.com or Megaupload, or whatever the names are??

Here's how it would work:

-You upload the ripped raer (320kbs, ok?)

-You post a link in this thread (or PM... on the downlow)

-Peeps download the shit.... early bird gets the worm!

Now, I know nothing about the rules on these sites... maybe they don't like that shit.. Is there a limit for how many downloads can be made on these sites???

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'm all in, please let me know how this develops. I think it is important that there be some way to make sure that everyone who uses it contributes too, so that people just aren't stocking up on other folks' work, but at the same time, I don't think access should be based on degree of rarity or whatever. Some of us have crazier records than others, but I think as long as people are down to share their own stuff they should be allowed access to all the shared files.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    by the way, twoply's five songs post from us today was a great example of the benifits of this sort of thing. Great tracks that I am just glad to get a chance to hear.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if your going to do this and do it off a server you need to keep that shit secure. meaning you need an encripted SSH ftp browser like transmat or fugu and you need to keep the login info on the serious downlo.

i don't think it would be a good idea to have people posting on here with "yo i just put this on the server"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned dealing with torrents, or even a program like Waste. Seriously, Soulseek is for kids.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

check you mail box d00d...

• I'm all in, please let me know how this develops. I think it is important that there be some way to make sure that everyone who uses it contributes too, so that people just aren't stocking up on other folks' work, but at the same time, I don't think access should be based on degree of rarity or whatever. Some of us have crazier records than others, but I think as long as people are down to share their own stuff they should be allowed access to all the shared files.

Word, this will be an issue.

Since I'm not an owner of many raers, I'm worried that some (myself, definitely) will not have much to contribute.

I guess the only way for me to get some raer mp3's will be to upload some common stuff... who will want that?...

Is there a way to solve this problem, so this can be an inclusive thing?... what about people make lists of what they have, and others rate the most desirable from their collection... everyone make a post w/ a poll in it (read the FAQ)... put up a list of 10 - whichever one gets most votes, can be uploaded... everyone gets a turn...

whatever, I just wanna be in on the deal!!!

• I'm all in, please let me know how this develops. I think it is important that there be some way to make sure that everyone who uses it contributes too, so that people just aren't stocking up on other folks' work, but at the same time, I don't think access should be based on degree of rarity or whatever. Some of us have crazier records than others, but I think as long as people are down to share their own stuff they should be allowed access to all the shared files.

Word, this will be an issue.

Since I'm not an owner of many raers, I'm worried that some (myself, definitely) will not have much to contribute.

I guess the only way for me to get some raer mp3's will be to upload some common stuff... who will want that?...

Is there a way to solve this problem, so this can be an inclusive thing?... what about people make lists of what they have, and others rate the most desirable from their collection... everyone make a post w/ a poll in it (read the FAQ)... put up a list of 10 - whichever one gets most votes, can be uploaded... everyone gets a turn...

whatever, I just wanna be in on the deal!!!

I would gladly contribute 5 dollars a month or so to something like this because i am sure it would be costly to upkeep. plus that would be motivation to put stuff up and have a hadn in the whole thing.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    FRESH

• yeah, I'd put up $5 !

• it would be nice to have an ftp able archive of soulstrut mp3s. only give out the password to strutters that are willing to upload. id be down.

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Dope! Count me in...

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    it would be nice to have an ftp able archive of soulstrut mp3s. only give out the password to strutters that are willing to upload and/or pay. id be down.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Thats a dope idea. I'm in.

Everyone could pay 5$ to get access to it and would have their access removed if they didn't contribute at least 5 raers every quarter.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    (160 kbs, with NO compression, but recorded loud and without excessive EQing_?, preserving as much recording integrity as possible)

what about the flux capaciter???

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    This sounds good. Especially for us mac users who can't easily do the soulseek thing.
    money & uploads would be fine.