Skye Label

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
Anybody got records on this label? recommendations?. I have a couple of Tjader albums on this label. Can someone post the discography, I believe it 20 albums total on this label.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    don't really remember there being too much on the label that burned me up. sure there's something good that i haven't seen.

Always liked the Tjader - Solar heat LP.

Armando Pereza LP is pretty boring IMO

Chuck Rainey LP is relatively mediocre... but a couple nice tunes on it.

that's all that comes to mind right now.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the big track on this label is "be black" by Grady Tate. There is some decent Gabor Szabo stuff on Skye, too.

while there is some nice stuff on Skye, there is ALOT of M.O.R. cheez as well... i think Tjader and Szabo actually owned the label...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The only one I have, and love, is Gabor Szabo's "1969" LP. Real mellow guitar led tracks.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    Wendy and Bonnie

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is a good one.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This is a good one.

Tjader sounds out Bacharach is my fave. And I dig that Wild Thing by Armando Peraza.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Cal Tjader[/b] - Solar Heat / SK-1

Gary McFarland[/b] - Does The Sun Really Shine on The Moon? / SK-2

Gabor Szabo[/b] - Bacchanal / SK-3

Grady Tate[/b] - Windmills of My Mind / SK-4D

Armando Peraza[/b] - Wild Thing / SK-5D

Cal Tjader[/b] - Cal Tjader Sounds Out Burt Bacharach / SK-6

Gabor Szabo[/b] - Dreams / SK-7

Gary McFarland[/b] - America The Beautiful / SK-8

Gabor Szabo[/b] - 1969 / SK-9

Cal Tjader[/b] - Plugs In / SK-10

Wendy & Bonnie[/b] - Genesis / SK-1006D

Grady Tate[/b] - Feeling Life / SK-1007D

Gary McFarland Orchestra & Grady Tate[/b] - Slaves / SK-11

Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo[/b] - Lena & Gabor / SK-15

and so on.

• This is a good one.
    what's this one like? (musicians, instruments, etc)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I dig that Wild Thing by Armando Peraza.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is a good one.
    what's this one like? (musicians, instruments, etc)

Pop-psych with teenage girl harmony vocals. A friend liked it first, and it grew on me. I don't have the OG LP, but I do have a 45 from it, "What's Really Happening" that's good, and I have a burn of the LP, which is pretty strong from start to finish.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Goddamn I need that Wendy and Bonnie in a bad way, never see it out and about though.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    How good is the Wendy and Bonnie record? So good I got a guy to option their life rights and wrote a movie about them. If anyone has five million sitting around PM me. And yes their unreleased stuff is amazing.

• yea but the record on skye is gabor dreams. but the beard had one thing right. that them there wendy and bonnie is rard. whats up black man. holla.

• roy porter is also a great artist and i have option on his life story, one of his drum sticks and his petrified turd in tupperware. holla.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Goddamn I need that Wendy and Bonnie in a bad way, never see it out and about though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "rocky racoon" from the Lena & Gabor LP is pretty cool.

roy porter is also a great artist and i have option on his life story, one of his drum sticks and his petrified turd in tupperware. holla.

LOL

• ps that goddamn wendy and bonnie used to be sitting around like a peice of dog shit. i used to cop that shit 5 times a year. holla.

ps that goddamn wendy and bonnie used to be sitting around like a peice of dog shit. i used to cop that shit 5 times a year. holla.

YAARGH. Your sensitive, BITD finds stories are making me cry.

• raer? them shitz aint raer. that wendy and bonnie shits up on ebay every weekend. raer? i ill tell u raer... raer is a muthafuggin gow dow experience and shits. have an exciting week on soulstrut and look for me up in this shit.

holla

lol

ap

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Anybody got records on this label? recommendations?. I have a couple of Tjader albums on this label. Can someone post the discography, I believe it 20 albums total on this label.

I would definitely recommend Cal Tjaders Solar Heat album, the Solar Heat track is awesome! Also The Chuck Rainey Coalition lp has some heatness...!

• I have a bunch of Gary McFarland stuff on the label, all good. Cosign on the Tjader...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the big track on this label is "be black" by Grady Tate. There is some decent Gabor Szabo stuff on Skye, too.

"be black baby" (or "baby, be black") is a great tune. I have it on 45, didnt this it was pressed on LP, was it?

the 'Dreams'/'1969' LPs by Szabo are great too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

"be black baby" (or "baby, be black") is a great tune. I have it on 45, didnt this it was pressed on LP, was it?

The end credits of the movie this song was from (Hi, Mom!) said that there was a soundtrack album on Skye. Anybody seen it? (The movie itself sucked like a vacuum cleaner, BTW.)

Also, I thought the Chuck Rainey album was on Cobblestone, since the single I have from that album ("It's Gonna Rain") is on that label.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The end credits of the movie this song was from (Hi, Mom!) said that there was a soundtrack album on Skye. Anybody seen it? (The movie itself sucked like a vacuum cleaner, BTW.)

yet another unreleased blax ost

45 only.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Pretty sure the soundtrack does not exist (ie was never released) and that 'be black baby' is a 7"-only release.

For my money, it's the best thing on Skye.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    The upcoming Wax Poetics will have a definite history of Skye Records.

Owner/artist Gary McFarland was dosed/poisoned (with liquid methadone) at a bar and died. He was in his early thirties.

• there's a guy who's making a film about Wendy & Bonnie, saw his website recently.

the "genesis" album was very common and low-priced many years back on psych dealers lists, like the Triste Janero on White Whale...

• Skye also put out a 45 by Eddie Long called "It Don't Make Sense But It Sure Sounds Good". Solid funk tune and seemingly an anomaly for the label as most of their other stuff was coming from the world of jazz. Co-sign on Gabor Szabo's Dreams, btw. Still haven't heard the Armando Perez. Is it similar to the Tjader stuff?