NY Times reveals existence of REGGAETON

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
NY times today has an article on reggaeton (complete with amusing title).I can't hate on latinos/hispanics coming together. but damn this is annoying music.

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    NY times today has an article on reggaeton (complete with amusing title).

I can't hate on latinos/hispanics coming together. but damn this is annoying music.

yeah that shit kinda blows. I'll fuck the green card out of those Nina Sky twins though.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    those Nina Sky twins

YES

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yeah that shit sucks.

I'm hoping this starts beef with a reggaeton lover.

but seriously though, it sucks. bad. it makes me cringe, and who likes cringing? I know I dont. And also I'm drinking, because I made a promise to myself that I would drink this weekend.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I'm hoping this starts beef with a reggaeton lover.

I'll do it!

I love reggaeton and I think you guys hate it simply because it's soooo cool to hate it. Half of your beloved raer funk 45s from no-name, out of tune garage bands are way more annoying than any reggaeton I've heard. Y'all go crazy over modern soul, convincing yourselves there's not a shred of irony involved, but the truth is that shit was no cheesier then than reggaeton is now. Dizzy, for Pete's sake, you like Lawrence Welk LPs! Not to mention, how many "golden age" rap songs used the same damn beat over and over? Hell, most backpacker producers still use the same old tired patterns, acting like they hit so hard.

Face it, it's music to enjoy, not music to think about. If you don't enjoy it, I totally understand. But the fact that so many people can't shut up about how much they hate it appears to indicate it's more about projecting an image of coolness than critiquing a genre.

I think you guys hate it simply because it's soooo cool to hate it.

I didn't know it was cool to hate it, I just do based on... er... instinct?

Dizzy, for Pete's sake, you like Laurence Welk LPs!

Ouch. Touche, you bastard... TOUCHE.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    haha, twoply trying to light some fire. I'm sorry but it's the current craze and I can't stand it one bit. There're maybe 3 good joints and the rest is filler. And this is coming from someone who's not tripping over funk 45s or jumping on the modern soul craze.

• ------- the last person alive who doesn't really know what reggaeton is (and hasn't registered on the nytimes site to find out).

i'm pretty sure it's fast latin dancehall with TONS of sirens and lots of hot girls on myspace seem to list it among their favorite music (alongside dave matthews band and usher).

That's exactly what a person trying to sound cool would say!

That's exactly what a person trying to sound cool would say!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Look up daddy yankee and you're there....chase down Nina Sky and you're definitely there...find something by Pitbull with lots of lil' john on top and you'll know what it is.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I hate reggaeton, modern soul AND lawrence welk!

Two-pizzle:

When I went to El Salvador last christmas every shop and club had Tego Calderon on blast, BOOTLEGS FOR DAYS. Shit, even my mom likes "Gasolina", but yo I just really can't get into it all that much. Actually it would be cool to actually dig that shit. It's got all the flavors of coolness:

OUTTA OF NEW YORK + ITS ETHNIC + A LOT OF THAT SHIT IS FAST = Fetishized trend for the '05.

I'll play "Toma", "Culo", and "Nina Sky" but it ends there.

P.S. I always dug "modern soul" waaaaaaaay before I got into records, thats the type of stuff I grew up on so plaese to dead the "irony"/"trend" chatter.

Young "Not a fan of funk 45's" at all.

• Fetishized trend for the '05.

Fetishized trend for the '05.

Yes I like to talk about how good "GASOLINA" feels on my balls [/b]

Two-pizzle:

When I went to El Salvador last christmas every shop and club had Tego Calderon on blast, BOOTLEGS FOR DAYS. Shit, even my mom likes "Gasolina", but yo I just really can't get into it all that much. Actually it would be cool to actually dig that shit. It's got all the flavors of coolness:

OUTTA OF NEW YORK + ITS ETHNIC + A LOT OF THAT SHIT IS FAST = Fetishized trend for the '05.

I'll play "Toma", "Culo", and "Nina Sky" but it ends there.

P.S. I always dug "modern soul" waaaaaaaay before I got into records, thats the type of stuff I grew up on so plaese to dead the "irony"/"trend" chatter.

Young "Not a fan of funk 45's" at all.

I mean it, can someone please make a "sarcastic" emoticon already?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Most of the people I know that are suddenly really into reggaeton don't even like dancehall.

That's all I have to say.

• use the same old tired patterns

BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA,

I can't hate on latinos/hispanics coming together. but damn this is annoying music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    haha, twoply trying to light some fire. I'm sorry but it's the current craze and I can't stand it one bit.

I like reggaeton.

If you're living in Kansas ordering Killah Kuts reggaeton white label mixes from Turntablelab then, yeah, you're probably guilty of trend-hopping.

But if you live where I live, it's just part of the soundtrack to summer. I don't love it--I don't even own any recordings--but I don't understand the hate, either.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Reggaeton is fun as hell and I love that it's not afraid to be really anthem-esque. Some of that shit is fun as hell to sing along to, especially while inebriated and dancing with a sweaty jawn.

It's mentioned briefly above, but it's worth reiterating: if your sole reason for disliking reggaeton is that it's just "dance" music that is based on the "the same old tired rhythms," I hope you don't like funk.

-e

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Man, this article doesn't even take into consideration the history of reggaeton at all. this shit has been getting play in Central and South America for at least 10 years (don't know about Mexico though). Lucky you who didn't have to hear this

BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA, BOOM, DA BOOMDA,
    for the last fifteen years! Also I wouldn't call Nina Sky or Pitbull reggaeton (although I've only listened to Move your Body Girl and Culo respectively). Daddy Yankee has also been doing this for years, and who can foregt Don Chesina, Ivy Queen, Polaco, Yandel, Wisin, and the rest of the born losers
    What people also don't mention is how Tony Touch had his hands in all this since the beginning. All the DJ Eric stuff, the classic mixtapes Da Noise Vols. 1-4 and Playero 36 & 37, Tony ghost produced all of it, and as a result its not that bad and different from boom da boomda. Also you can't front on the og dudes who blew this up in Latin America:

Damn I still remeber when girls were 'yales' instead or 'perras,' and dancing was 'culeando' instead of 'perreo.'

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Man, this article doesn't even take into consideration the history of reggaeton at all. this shit has been getting play in Central and South America for at least 10 years (don't know about Mexico though). Lucky you who didn't have to hear this

for the last fifteen years! Also I wouldn't call Nina Sky or Pitbull reggaeton (although I've only listened to Move your Body Girl and Culo respectively). Daddy Yankee has also been doing this for years, and who can foregt Don Chesina, Ivy Queen, Polaco, Yandel, Wisin, and the rest of the born losers
    What people also don't mention is how Tony Touch had his hands in all this since the beginning. All the DJ Eric stuff, the classic mixtapes Da Noise Vols. 1-4 and Playero 36 & 37, Tony ghost produced all of it, and as a result its not that bad and different from boom da boomda. Also you can't front on the og dudes who blew this up in Latin America:

Damn I still remeber when girls were 'yales' instead or 'perras,' and dancing was 'culeando' instead of 'perreo.'

I mentioned Tony Touch in the "reggaeton revelation" thread yesterday.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    techno[/b] is fun as hell and I love that it's not afraid to be really anthem-esque. Some of that shit is fun as hell to sing along to, especially while inebriated and dancing with a sweaty jawn.

It's mentioned briefly above, but it's worth reiterating: if your sole reason for disliking techno[/b] is that it's just "dance" music that is based on the "the same old tired rhythms," I hope you don't like disco[/b].
    -e

This just seems to be another way to party that will soon be absorbed into mainstream pop. As we speak in fact.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Man, this article doesn't even take into consideration the history of reggaeton at all. this shit has been getting play in Central and South America for at least 10 years (don't know about Mexico though).

Last few times I was in Mexico, the yout seemed to be into playing their oompah-beats through large bassbins in the backs of the Chevys. The effect is not unlike reggaeton and I could see a sort of norteno-ton breaking out of this! Oh shit!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think the reason a lot of people hate reggaeton isn't because they're trying to be cool, it's because a lot of reggaeton is annoying as hell.

That said, I've got several reggaeton vinyls, I like a lot of the tunes, and Ivy Queen's bhangra-inflected "Baile Asi" tears it up at my Masala Beat Club gigs. Ya'll sleep while I peep.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I could see a sort of norteno-ton breaking out of this! Oh shit!

yep

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I think the reason a lot of people hate reggaeton isn't because they're trying to be cool, it's because a lot of reggaeton is annoying as hell.

co-fucking-sign!

I wonder if this is the same attitude Brazilians have towards baile-funk?

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I believe Reggaeton to be another invention of the subwoofer companies to sell more subwoofers.

Maybe I'm off on that but All I KNOW IS IT REALLY MAKES ME WANNA FREAKY DEAKY...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    if anyone can make me a reggaeton fan, it's gotta be r kelly. have any of you heard his take on this musical genre? i think the track is from tp3 reloaded.

'perreo.'

Also another thing I got hipped to while I was in El Salvador was "Perrera". My cousins where saying it's a lot like Reggaeton but all the lyrics where all about drugs and sex. It's consider like an off-shoot of Reggaeton.

And yo, sorry folks but I'm not feeling that Baile Funk stuff AT ALL.

• Man, this article doesn't even take into consideration the history of reggaeton at all. this shit has been getting play in Central and South America for at least 10 years (don't know about Mexico though). Lucky you who didn't have to hear this

You forgot to mention El General, the godfather of reggaeton. It came out of Panama when Jamaicans were hired to build the canal, and they mixed reggae wif Latin music. I used to hate it when I was little cause only the FOB kids used to blast it. Then I realized it made all the Spanish girls shake that ass...