"Neo Golden Age" rappeurs

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
i.e., "meta-rap" or "hipster rap."b,121b,121Who should I be checking for? Cool Kidz? Kidz in the Hall? Pacific Division? NYT says I should like them because they wear Curt Cazals and record on schitty tape.b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121The Mining of Hip-Hop???s Golden Age b,121b,121By JON CARAMANICAb,121b,121Published: September 12, 2008 b,121DURING a show at the Knitting Factory in TriBeCa this summer, the Cool Kids took the stage dressed like extras in ???Do the Right Thing.??? Mikey Rocks, 20, and the duo???s main rapper, wore a baggy, bright red tank top with silver lettering, and Chuck Inglish, 23, sported a striped Polo shirt; both wore fitted baseball caps with brims flying high. Midshow, the two slid into the signature song ???88,??? a carefully constructed burst of reminiscence with spare, crisp drums backing a fusillade of era-appropriate references: Cuban-link gold chains, Cazal eyeglass frames, stone-washed Guess jeans. In the crowd, some fans waved gold ropes and vintage sneakers, and a young woman in a floral-print dress did the high-stepping Kid ???n Play dance from the 1990 film ???House Party.???b,121b,121Released in May, the Cool Kids??? debut EP, ???The Bake Sale??? (C.A.K.E./Chocolate Industries), is a vivid and unusually potent revisiting of what is commonly referred to as hip-hop???s golden age (spanning the late 1980s and early ???90s), both in its spare, drum-heavy production values and in its neatly structured rhyme patterns. Never mind that the two performers aren???t old enough to have experienced the scene firsthand. b,121b,121???That???s what we sound like; I can???t help it,??? said Chuck Inglish, who produces the Cool Kids??? music with a meticulous ear. ???But I???m into emulation, not imitation.???b,121b,121Increasingly, the Cool Kids are not alone. They are part of a small but newly influential hip-hop subculture ??? call it meta-rap ??? created by a generation of artists raised wholly within hip-hop culture, making music that is a commentary on what came before it. In hip-hop, which can be ruthlessly forward-looking, this is a novel development, and it has made for compelling and diverse music from acts like the Cool Kids, Pacific Division, the Knux, Kidz in the Hall and Plastic Little.b,121b,121Not all these artists are as committed to a specific sound as the Cool Kids are, but they express their nostalgia in other ways: in lyrical references and rhyme patterns, in the selection of drum sounds, in their choice of clothes. While much current mainstream rap tends toward street-life fantasias and thug-love odes, these meta-rap artists are far less ostentatious, preoccupied with authenticity and topically narrow. As a result most of their music exists at the margins, little acknowledged by radio or television but extremely popular on the Internet. b,121b,121Musically, this may be the most promising underground hip-hop movement in a decade, feted by old-school loyalists and genre outsiders entranced by its obsessive commitment to style. But even as the movement creeps toward broader recognition, it has already generated its share of backlash. These artists are often dismissed as ???hipster rap,??? as if they???re wearing their old-school references as nothing more than fashion. The result is a hip-hop generation gap. b,121b,121???It???s the instant gratification aspect,??? said Eskay, proprietor of the hip-hop blog NahRight.com, which has prominently featured many of these artists. ???You can be an expert in anything in about a week now. The backlash is, these kids are young; why are they trying to recreate something they didn???t experience????b,121b,121Rap has had its countercultures before, of course. In the late ???80s and early ???90s, New York???s Native Tongues crew, which included De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest, presented a bohemian alternative to the growing gangster rap scene. In the ???90s, Los Angeles and the Bay Area were home to independent scenes interested in rewriting the rules of lyricism.b,121b,121But while intragenre nostalgia figures regularly in other styles of pop ??? rock has a long history of sifting through its past for new inspiration ??? it has never had a place in hip-hop. It???s not that rap never looks backward. Thanks to its innovations in sampling, it has helped keep various other styles prominent in the collective pop memory. But borrowing from other rappers has traditionally been considered taboo. And largely it still is, so many of these artists use elements of the past as building blocks, which they then reconfigure to their own ends. Though the music shares many characteristics with hip-hop from decades past, ???in the climate of the industry right now, it???s considered experimental,??? said Be Young, 22, of Southern California???s Pacific Division.b,121b,121???People are students of the game,??? said Double O of the Chicago duo Kidz in the Hall. ???The late ???80s and early ???90s was hip-hop???s Harlem Renaissance. You can find traces of that in all of these new artists.???b,121b,121With two full-length albums to their credit, Kidz in the Hall, who met while students at the University of Pennsylvania, qualify as veterans of the new movement. On their latest album, ???The In Crowd??? (Duck Down), they even enlist golden-age artists like Camp Lo, Buckshot and Masta Ace for cameos. ???I???m an academic at heart,??? Double O said. ???Even when it comes to music, I???m going to take pieces out and reinject them on an academically creative level.???b,121b,121The New Orleans-via-Los Angeles duo the Knux also takes its bona fides seriously. ???I am very schooled on what happened in the ???80s,??? said Krispy Kream, 25, half of the duo. ???Some of these cats wasn???t even born till the ???90s.???b,121b,121How they translate those influences is unique, though. The duo???s debut, ???Remind Me in 3 Days,??? to be released in October on Interscope, is self-produced ??? the Knux has performed often at songwriters??? nights at Largo, the Los Angeles club spearheaded by the producer Jon Brion, who has worked with Fiona Apple and Aimee Mann ??? and recalls in places early OutKast, the Clash and the Police. The texture, though, is unmistakably from the golden age, with fast-rap cadences and raw, almost haphazard-sounding drums.

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    ???We recorded songs in the worst way possible,??? Krispy Kream said, ???so you get a certain feel from it, like an old hip-hop record from 1990 or whenever.???b,121b,121His brother and band mate, Rah Almillio, 23, considers it ???a punk approach, hip-hop as it used to be ??? not perfected, not overpolished.???b,121b,121In a sense these meta-rappers have become keepers of the flame for the genre???s old guard: neo-traditionalists in eccentrics??? clothing. ???There???s always nostalgia; it???s a byproduct of capitalism,??? said Jayson Musson, 30, the frontman for the Philadelphia rap satirists Plastic Little. ???Especially for the kids who weren???t really there, that era becomes hypercool, like the ???50s and the Beats.???b,121b,121Mr. Musson described his music as ???rap, but almost an investigation of rap, very aware of the genre and its structural elements.??? Plastic Little has released two albums, the self-released ???Thug Paradise??? and ???She???s Mature??? (Tonearm), both packed with hip-hop in-jokes. This inquisitiveness also comes out in Mr. Musson???s writing and art. For a time last year, he was a columnist for Philadelphia Weekly, and in 2002 he put out ???Too Black for BET,??? a collection of posters that poked vicious fun at hip-hop orthodoxies (the most memorable of which speculated on the sexuality of Jay-Z).b,121b,121???The music is like the writing,??? Mr. Musson said. ???It???s got to be funny or deconstructive.???b,121b,121In recent years there has been no shortage of deconstructionists in rap???s mainstream, the most noteworthy being Kanye West, Andr?? 3000 of OutKast and Lupe Fiasco. And this is a particularly fertile moment for alternative hip-hop styles: the electro-influenced club-rap of Spank Rock and Kid Sister, the liberal-minded college raps of Asher Roth, the surf-rock hip-hop of Shwayze, Wale???s hybrid of go-go and rap, and the stream-of-consciousness fantasies of Charles Hamilton.b,121b,121These so-called hipster rappers have been successful at carving out their own niches, finding audiences in unexpected places. The Knux had a song featured on an episode of the HBO series ???Entourage??? last season. Plastic Little recently toured Europe with Mark Ronson. And the Cool Kids have been prominently featured in a national television ad for Rhapsody, Microsoft???s online music service.b,121b,121There may well be a ceiling for this movement, though. ???The music is just not mass appeal,??? said Cipha Sounds, a mixshow D.J. on New York???s Hot 97 (WQHT-FM) and a host on MTV. ???I enjoy some of it very much, but it???s nothing I can really play on the radio or in the club.??? b,121b,121And sales of these artists have been modest, though none have yet released an album with a major-label push like the Knux will receive, according to Steve Berman, president of sales and marketing at Interscope Geffen A&M. But he warned that ???their success may not be measured in the old-school commercial ways we used in the past.???b,121b,121Apart from Kidz in the Hall and Plastic Little, none of these groups have even released proper full-length albums; blog hype has gotten ahead of them, forcing them to hone, and perhaps calcify, a sound very early in their careers. ???Everyone???s looking at them before they???re ready,??? said Kidz in the Hall???s Double O of his peers. ???They???re going to have to put out a product before their time.???b,121b,121Or, perhaps, to suffer the indignity of having their style copied before they get a chance to truly capitalize on it. ???We???ve got a lot of friends at record labels that got inside scoop on what???s happening,??? said the Cool Kids??? Mikey Rocks. ???It???s been said they???re trying to create their own Cool Kids. There???s going to be clones and Cool Kids Juniors all over the place.???b,121b,121If the Cool Kids have their way, though, they will have evolved by then. In between tour dates, the group has been working on its debut album, tentatively titled ???When Fish Ride Bicycles.??? And there is always more history to mine.b,121b,121???After this LP,??? Chuck Inglish said, ???I???m thinking about recording everything to tape like it???s 1991 and seeing how that sounds.???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 ???We recorded songs in the worst way possible,??? Krispy Kream said, ???so you get a certain feel from it, like an old hip-hop record from 1990 or whenever.??? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121b,121WTF?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    what exactly makes these dudes come from 'within' hip hop culture? all the dudes ive met in chicago who are down w/ cool kids or whatever are into punk rock and shit like that

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121what exactly makes these dudes come from 'within' hip hop culture? all the dudes ive met in chicago who are down w/ cool kids or whatever are into punk rock and shit like that b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121POST-HIP HOP......im tellin u.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121feted by genre outsiders entranced by its obsessive commitment to styleb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1

• A lot of these dudes are just okay. I was pretty interested in Wale and Kid Cudi, dudes in a very similar league, and was let down when bumping their mix-tapes. b,121b,121IMO, The Cool Kids have made one great song, and have done it 15 different times over and over again. The only thing different is that it's less remarkable every damn time. With that being said, Big Von was running "Jinglin' Baby" a few times and I was really feeling it.b,121b,121It would be good if one of these dudes/groups actually put out a fresh album to lay the skepticism to rest and validate the hype, because out of the 15-25 artists no one has.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121It would be good if one of these dudes/groups actually put out a fresh album to lay the skepticism to rest and validate the hype, because out of the 15-25 artists no one has. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Graduation?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cool Kids isn't really neo golden age in that back then in many ways the raw 808 kick drum style was kinda subordinated from golden age status to the James Brown sampling explosion. b,121b,121So for these sub-par rappers to be publicizing themselves as somehow linked with the Big Daddy Kane's and the Kool G Rap's of the world...c'mon now.b,121b,121I've said before on here how I like the Cool Kids ep alright. But I like it the same way I like Skittles or say the novelty of Pee Wee's Dance or even Axel F.b,121b,121I sure don't like it the way I liked Follow the Leader or My Philosophy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I haven't heard much from Cool kids, but what i did hear sounded fresh. Dyno with the black mags. b,121b,121I don't know who those other groups are.b,121b,121That article was too long to warrant anything more than the introductory paragraphs and a brief skim. I'd much rather hear more hip hop influenced by hip hop, that comes off a little cheesy and uninformed than more hip hop influenced by street cred that comes off as phony and uninformed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing off an entire sector of rap music, but I'm feeling like mass media is running a glutton, and this seems like a favorable way to balance it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121But while intragenre nostalgia figures regularly in other styles of pop ??? rock has a long history of sifting through its past for new inspiration ??? it has never had a place in hip-hop. It???s not that rap never looks backward. Thanks to its innovations in sampling, it has helped keep various other styles prominent in the collective pop memory. But borrowing from other rappers has traditionally been considered taboo. And largely it still is, so many of these artists use elements of the past as building blocks, which they then reconfigure to their own ends. Though the music shares many characteristics with hip-hop from decades past, ???in the climate of the industry right now, it???s considered experimental,??? said Be Young, 22, of Southern California???s Pacific Division.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't get this.b,121b,121Hip-hop has constantly fed off of its own past. How anyone could conclude otherwise is unfathomable to me. b,121b,121Take 2 examples: Z-Ro covering Scarface's Never Seen a Man Cry...the passing of the torch, a renewal of the past, however you slice it. And then Mac Dre resurrecting that old Just Ice beat on his Genie of the Lamp album...straight jacked the beat and didn't really do anything to tweak it, sounded perfectly modern anyway. These things to varying degrees happen all of the time.b,121b,121And more: NOLA bounce was built on the back of a pair of old Showboys 12"s. Everything about Dallas rap right now screams old school revivial.b,121b,121I don't know what dude was thinking...the examples are endless.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121But while intragenre nostalgia figures regularly in other styles of pop ??? rock has a long history of sifting through its past for new inspiration ??? it has never had a place in hip-hop. It???s not that rap never looks backward. Thanks to its innovations in sampling, it has helped keep various other styles prominent in the collective pop memory. But borrowing from other rappers has traditionally been considered taboo. And largely it still is, so many of these artists use elements of the past as building blocks, which they then reconfigure to their own ends. Though the music shares many characteristics with hip-hop from decades past, ???in the climate of the industry right now, it???s considered experimental,??? said Be Young, 22, of Southern California???s Pacific Division.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't get this.b,121b,121Hip-hop has constantly fed off of its own past. How anyone could conclude otherwise is unfathomable to me. b,121b,121Take 2 examples: Z-Ro covering Scarface's Never Seen a Man Cry...the passing of the torch, a renewal of the past, however you slice it. And then Mac Dre resurrecting that old Just Ice beat on his Genie of the Lamp album...straight jacked the beat and didn't really do anything to tweak it, sounded perfectly modern anyway. These things to varying degrees happen all of the time.b,121b,121And more: NOLA bounce was built on the back of a pair of old Showboys 12"s. Everything about Dallas rap right now screams old school revivial.b,121b,121I don't know what dude was thinking...the examples are endless. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Thank you....b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121Dude thinks there's been some drought were artists werent referencing the past and shit.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121[b,121Hip-hop has constantly fed off of its own past. How anyone could conclude otherwise is unfathomable to me evidence of disconnected. b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121But at the same time I can see the point that the author is making. If you pick up ten albums in the rock section at least one will probably have a cover song, whereas you'd have to pick up a lot more in the hip hop section. Its just a more nuanced practice in hip hop, whereas in other genres it can be pretty heavy-handed. I guess the author didn't pick up on the nuance.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121[b,121Hip-hop has constantly fed off of its own past. How anyone could conclude otherwise is unfathomable to me evidence of disconnected. b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121But at the same time I can see the point that the author is making. If you pick up ten albums in the rock section at least one will probably have a cover song, whereas you'd have to pick up a lot more in the hip hop section. Its just a more nuanced practice in hip hop, whereas in other genres it can be pretty heavy-handed. I guess the author didn't pick up on the nuance. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121No doubt. But cats still are grabbin samples that have been used. If uv been listenin to the art for a minute u can hear certain joints w/ already used beats.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121No doubt. But cats still are grabbin samples that have been used. If uv been listenin to the art for a minute u can hear certain joints w/ already used beats. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121For sure, that's where some of that nuance come in, which is what the author probably doesn't pick up on.b,121I always bug out when I start thinking about all the samples that have been used on stuff that most people will never hear because its just on a tape or a hard drive in someone's bedroom. Who knows what's getting flipped silently.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For real, Jon's a good friend but that part bugged me too. Hip-hop is nothing if not completely nostalgia ridden. The absence of cover songs is something specific to the role that authorship plays in hip-hop but covering past styles? I mean...shit, what was Little Brother and related groups all about? Or Dilated Peoples and similar groups to them? To me, that was a total, conscious recycling of 94-era hip-hop. b,121b,121To me, the main difference with someone like the Cool Kids is that they're drawing from multiple points of reference - both temporally and geographically. They're like a "best of" compilation of different, sparse styles of production whether you're talking Rick Rubin circa 86 or Swishahouse circa 02

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121No doubt. But cats still are grabbin samples that have been used. If uv been listenin to the art for a minute u can hear certain joints w/ already used beats. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121For sure, that's where some of that nuance come in, which is what the author probably doesn't pick up on.b,121I always bug out when I start thinking about all the samples that have been used on stuff that most people will never hear because its just on a tape or a hard drive in someone's bedroom. Who knows what's getting flipped silently. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121 object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Lil Wayne redid "Paid in Full" on that Lloyd song and it was on the radio all day urry day for half the summer... rap just isn't about cover songs, its about referencing and interpolation...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I mean...shit, what was Little Brother and related groups all about? To me, that was a total, conscious recycling of 94-era hip-hop. b,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Holmes: b,121What's the difference between that compared to something like "Dredio" or "Certified Gangstas", or shoot even something like Swizzy's recent remix of Mary rocking "Treat 'em right"?b,121b,121and man, what about even some dudes like the Retro Kids, who are rocking this heavy handed and contrived m.o.b,121b,121I'm asking because it seems to you Little Brother, who I'm not exactly a huge fan of, are "recyclers" while the Cool Kids areb,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121drawing from multiple points of reference -b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121To me that's giving their music too much credit. It's some young kids rocking a drum machine making rap, it caught on so they are sticking with the formula.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121No doubt. But cats still are grabbin samples that have been used. If uv been listenin to the art for a minute u can hear certain joints w/ already used beats. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121For sure, that's where some of that nuance come in, which is what the author probably doesn't pick up on.b,121I always bug out when I start thinking about all the samples that have been used on stuff that most people will never hear because its just on a tape or a hard drive in someone's bedroom. Who knows what's getting flipped silently. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121 object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121(that song blew my whole shit wide open)b,121b,121*found a video with better audio quality

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    " they even enlist golden-age artists like Camp Lo, Buckshot and Masta Ace for cameos." b,121"so you get a certain feel from it, like an old hip-hop record from 1990 or whenever.???b,121b,121WTF? Are these guys serious? So what do we call artist from the mid 70s to the 90s? Pre-school? b,121How the hell can Camp Lo or Buckshot be Golden era artists beats me...shit Ace just barely makes it in and thats cus he was down with cold chillin.... b,121b,121That kinda stuff shits me, cus its coming from the artist mouth... they should know better.... and they aint doing nothing new.... if thats how they got to market themselves and their sounds i feel sorry for these 'kids'.

• fun DMV is down with tricky teeb,121b,121b,121b,121Peter brown b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Busy peasleyb,121b,121b,121Bb,121b,121b,121b,121Rap music b,121b,121b,121Rappersb,121b,121b,121Rapb,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Fellowship and melle melb,121b,121b,121Throw your hands up- the Romeos rob youb,121b,121Phill mos' shirleyb,121b,121b,121b,121Tapes b,121b,121b,121b,121Trying to sound the best you canb,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Ll crush groove baby blue jumpsuitb,121b,121b,121b,121Eric b anchor medallionb,121b,121b,121b,121Comptons most wanted b,121b,121b,121b,121Tha pharcydeb,121b,121b,121b,121RumpelltilskinZ

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I always bug out when I start thinking about all the samples that have been used on stuff that most people will never hear because its just on a tape or a hard drive in someone's bedroom. Who knows what's getting flipped silently. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121if a sample is flipped in silence, was it really flipped?b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-slowburner.gif" alt="" 21