Manu Dibango’s Kusini

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
I saw one of those Seattle pressings of this last night. $250.00. The seller said not near as funky as Soul Makossa LP. I've heard it was unbelivable. Is it great non-funk non-makossa sounds?Does this also exsist as a French library record?Are there other pressings?Who has a copy?Dan

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Manu Dibango is one of the original fathers of the Afro-funk scene. His huge worldwide hit 'Soul Makossa' paved the way for artists such as Fela Kuti and Hugh Masakela. This rare soundtrack was produced in tiny quantities for the premiere of the obscure Ossie Davis movie in Seattle in August 1975. Each album is individually numbered, and signed by the cast. It's a superb blend of African rhythms, jazz, and a heavy dose of space jazz and funk. There are too many good tracks to mention, from uptempo dancefloor cuts to slower mellow numbers, all featuring Manu's superb sax playing. Thanks to Wonder B (the original French funkateer) for a hot tip on this one.

Supposed to be

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Aleit and Tripedouble got copies

On the wall at R'n'Roll Collectibles for $200 or $300, I forget

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dan, its good, but i like soul makossa LP better
    the whole LP is wonderful to listen to, but to me, there are no absolutely 100% classic material cuts
    i'll give a better review later..gotta get out in the sun

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Manu Dibango is one of the original fathers of the Afro-funk scene. His huge worldwide hit 'Soul Makossa' paved the way for artists such as Fela Kuti and Hugh Masakela.

Miriam Makeba paved the way for Hugh Masekala long before Soul Makossa was a hit. Grazing In The Grass was a hit 5 years before Soul Makossa. I hate reviews that are filled with inacurate statements. How can I take the rest of their review seriously? I don't think he had much influence on Fela's carrer either.

Dan

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Manu Dibango is one of the original fathers of the Afro-funk scene. His huge worldwide hit 'Soul Makossa' paved the way for artists such as Fela Kuti and Hugh Masakela.

Miriam Makeba paved the way for Hugh Masekala long before Soul Makossa was a hit. Grazing In The Grass was a hit 5 years before Soul Makossa. I hate reviews that are filled with inacurate statements. How can I take the rest of their review seriously? I don't think he had much influence on Fela's carrer either.

Dan

Sorry, I didn't write it...

Dan

Sorry, I didn't write it...

Not blaming you. I assumed it was an ebay description.

Dan

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i have it on mp3...got thru delay thru nate bizzo.

the lp is serously good. and rare. so it's worth the $$$.

it deserves a proper reissue. add it to the list for the reissue gods to consider.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I agree with tonedouble that there is no standout facemelter track. However with that said, it is end to end amazing listening stuff. I finally got a copy and had to throw massive shit on the table for it. But came away very happy for doing so.

Slow Down Streets ( think that's the track) is my favortie. If anybody needs a copy I believe Llmod has an extra.

I heard Ossie Davis had boxes and boxes of these as of last year so who knows what will turn up.

• I have had Manu's Salt's Popcorn (also released as dikalo) 45 on my want list for a bit now. that shit sounds absolutley lovely. was this on any LP's?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I gotta cosign on the opinion that it's good, but not mindblowing.
    It's a rarity thing. It's a shame it didn't have a larger release.

There's got to be a reissue around the corner, so save ya pocket change

I agree with tonedouble that there is no standout facemelter track. However with that said, it is end to end amazing listening stuff. I finally got a copy and had to throw massive shit on the table for it. But came away very happy for doing so.

Slow Down Streets ( think that's the track) is my favortie. If anybody needs a copy I believe Llmod has an extra.

I heard Ossie Davis had boxes and boxes of these as of last year so who knows what will turn up.

The one I saw was signed by Ossie. It was numbered 705, leading me to belive that 1,000 were pressed. That's a fair number of records to get rid of in one night.

Dan

• kinda off-topic but anyknow know what's the deal with Dibango's Saxy-Party LP? Is it any good? raer?

• Price on this seems to have dropped a lot. Used to be 300, 400 solid. 6 months ago I remember 3 copies being on ebay at any one point, all NM or sealed. Now I've heard of a few going for 200 or 250.

I heard the pressing # was 5000. Now I say that I forget where I heard it, but I've definitely seen numbered pressings in the thousands.

Still haven't heard it somebody want to hook up a yousendit trade with me?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    I have had Manu's Salt's Popcorn (also released as dikalo) 45 on my want list for a bit now. that shit sounds absolutley lovely. was this on any LP's?

i don't think it was released on lp funkyex.

i have the Dikalo pressing of the tune (on red phillips label) and it is a lovely pressing. this one saves lives on the funk dancefloor.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The one I saw was signed by Ossie. It was numbered 705, leading me to belive that 1,000 were pressed. That's a fair number of records to get rid of in one night.

Dan

my copy is #1036 so there's definitely more than 1000, more like up to 5000 I would assume.

the LP was pressed up as a commemorative piece by a seattle college fraternity's showing of the film in 1974. I think that's because the film itself had limited distribution, so the frat took up the pressing duties themselves.

I got my copy in philly for $5 over 10 years ago, and I never saw it since up until a couple of years ago when they started popping up leading me to believe that there's still a good amount out there.

bear in mind that i'm in seattle right now and not in front of my copy, so all this info is just off the top of my head. however, its a great piece to pick up. best songs are "go slow streets" "leah's love song" and the first song on the album (which is classic makossa material.) all together it sometimes gets a little "afro pop" sounding but altogether a stunning piece.

• Options
    I have had Manu's Salt's Popcorn (also released as dikalo) 45 on my want list for a bit now. that shit sounds absolutley lovely. was this on any LP's?

i have the Dikalo pressing of the tune (on red phillips label) and it is a lovely pressing. this one saves lives on the funk dancefloor.

Yes, Slat Popcorn was released on French Manu LP - it's just got a different title.

K.

• I understand someone found a small stash of this album recently, but has kept a tight lid on the number they are leaking out. But the supply may be one of the reasons the price has fallen....

• I love 'Weya' (LP version is cooler...)

• IS Manu still alive?

• As far as I know he is. He recently appeared on that Fela tribute album from a couple years ago.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Yes, Slat Popcorn was released on French Manu LP - it's just got a different title.

K.

On what Lp? Info please. I found the French 45 for two Euro last summer on a flea markt in Southern France.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    IS Manu still alive?

He's very alive. He actually never stopped recording and gigging in Europe. He even did a rap record with UK MC MC Mello in the early 9ties and has done endless world music related records- most of them in France - over the years.

He doesn't have a lot of classic albums but i always had a soft spot for everything Dibango and tend to buy every Manu record I can get til 83. I think he's pretty underated and there's little known about him compared to his long career.

A in depth article on the man and his music in WP would be highly appreciated from my side.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    No french edition of Kusini... it was strictly a US pressing and I'm pretty sure that 5000 was the number pressed... i'd have to check at home but sounds right to me... it should say on the back 1173 of 5000 (etc.)

i dig Kusini- i agree there is no standout killer cut, but it's just a cool soundtrack. I like it better than many Manu Dibango albums I've owned.

Anyone ever seen the film?

• Came across Manu Dibango's soundtrack for a 1978 Cameroon movie called PRIX DE LA LIBERT?? recently.

Does anyone know if it's worth picking up?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

K.

On what Lp? Info please. I found the French 45 for two Euro last summer on a flea markt in Southern France.

The other title for Salt Popcorn is Dikalo. Dikalo can be found on at least two records I've seen. I didn't buy them! What a shame. There are two different covers for the Salt Popcorn 45. Dikalo was released outside of France, I believe. There might even be a 45 of Dikalo.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Sun Explosion LP??? There's a 45 of Dikalo!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    No french edition of Kusini... it was strictly a US pressing and I'm pretty sure that 5000 was the number pressed... i'd have to check at home but sounds right to me... it should say on the back 1173 of 5000 (etc.)

i dig Kusini- i agree there is no standout killer cut, but it's just a cool soundtrack. I like it better than many Manu Dibango albums I've owned.

Anyone ever seen the film?

Saw this Kusini behind the counter at Orpheus in VA yesterday(Soulstrut Serendipity)- I was like "$35???? I'll take i--oh, that's $350.00"!

I think it was #1454 or something like that, I was straining my eyeballs while purchasing a couple CDs and a clean People's Instinctive Travels ($3! At Orpheus!)so I didn't really look more closely.

Funny how this came up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Came across Manu Dibango's soundtrack for a 1978 Cameroon movie called PRIX DE LA LIBERT?? recently.

Does anyone know if it's worth picking up?

To answer the man who revived this thread, yes, but alas depending on what price and condition are we talking about.

• Does anyone know if the tune "From Congo" is on vinyl at all? It appears on a somewhat recent greatest hits collection cd.