Last Night At Portland's Nightowl Record Show

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
We had our best Nightowl Record Show yet last night, I think. DJ T.RUST spun a nice set of breaks, funk, hip hop and bboy classics. Virginia spun a set of 80s dance/rock/British stuff. The highlight for me was Ericbeats set on the MPC, that shit was nice!Joe Kregul brought out his boxing-style concert posters, including early James Brown and Ike & Tina posters.I saw lots of people pulling nice records all night long. Late in the evening Delmont Fairchild found a mint original of McDaniel's Outlaw for $10.00. He also scored a copy of the paperback copy Sweet Sweet Backs Bad Ass Song.I did not get to do much digging as I was concentrating on promotion. I did get a Billy Paul I didn't know exsisted. Ebony Woman on Neptune, I've had the PI press with a different cover. I didn't even know he had lps previous to Going East. I also got a box set of 5 lps from East Memphis Music. Versions of EMM published songs from Redding, Green, Cream and others, with nice lyric book. I guess they distriputed these to producers in the 80s to try to get their songs covered.I saw a copy of Manu Dibangos Kusini, I will do another post to talk about that.300 paying customers came through the door.Delmont has pics, I'll see if I can get him to upload.Were you there?Dan

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I was there in spirit while I was bar hopping through hollywood for some pre birthday clebrations. Can't wait to see the pics dan.

t

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was there in spirit while I was bar hopping through hollywood for some pre birthday clebrations. Can't wait to see the pics dan.

t

Happy Birthday. 3x10+1?

DAN

• I was there and did pretty well with my 3 boxes. Only bought one little secret squirrel b boy joint and was happy. As for the entertainment...i mean background noise...i mean annoyance...basically the highlight for me was when Eric Beats stopped!!! I would have prefered an entire night of Virginia spinning and I'm supposedly a "beat head". Definitely a big shout out to Delmont and Dan for bringing it once again.

regards
    j

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

t

Happy Birthday. 3x10+1?

DAN

Not quite...

I was there and did pretty well with my 3 boxes. Only bought one little secret squirrel b boy joint and was happy. As for the entertainment...i mean background noise...i mean annoyance...basically the highlight for me was when Eric Beats stopped!!! I would have prefered an entire night of Virginia spinning and I'm supposedly a "beat head". Definitely a big shout out to Delmont and Dan for bringing it once again.

regards
    j

Tsega wasn't there, but he was a big help designing the fliers, and running the website and spiritual guidence. So add a shout out to Asprin.

Which would be better, no djs, or better different djs?

Dan

• Big up to Laserwolf, Mr. Delmont, *******, the Eagles Lodge, *********, **** **************, all the dealers, ******, and everyone else involved in making last night's show a success. I had a few cool finds (see the weekend finds thread) and sold a couple of records, letting me turn a little profit by the end of the night instead of having to come out of pocket at a record show for once.

I'm with Jeigh on the entertainment aspect. To me, Virginia was playing the best music in the best manner. A good time was had lookin at records, drinkin' RC (Rugged Crown) cola, talkin' shit, and meeting some cool folks. Looking forward to the next one in October.

I*n, can you recite the Eagles Lodge oath?

Yes, please.

Big up to Laserwolf, Mr. Delmont, *******, the Eagles Lodge, *********, **** **************, all the dealers, ******, and everyone else involved in making last night's show a success. I had a few cool finds (see the weekend finds thread) and sold a couple of records, letting me turn a little profit by the end of the night instead of having to come out of pocket at a record show for once.

I'm with Jeigh on the entertainment aspect. To me, Virginia was playing the best music in the best manner. A good time was had lookin at records, drinkin' RC (Rugged Crown) cola, talkin' shit, and meeting some cool folks. Looking forward to the next one in October.

TCM, you need to introduce yourself. Or did you, and I just blew you off? Or do I already know you?

Dan

• TCM, you need to introduce yourself.

= mike 2600

TCM, you need to introduce yourself.

= mike 2600

D'oh. Your just mad because we wont let you DJ.

Dan

• Your just mad because we wont let you DJ.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Your just mad because we wont let you DJ.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

My man Whiz has gone to parties rocking those Hulk gloves.