Brazilian song questions

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Hi everyone,I just got this great mix of Brazilian and Latin tunes and was wondering if people could help me out telling me where some of these tunes came from. Much appreciated as usual for the info.Gilberto Gil - Oerebro ElectronicoWalter Branco - Meu Balanco

Comments

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

Gilberto Gil - Oerebro Electronico

title is actually 'Cerebro Eletronico'
    great freakin record. If you like that song you'll like this LP. classic.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Waltel Branco - Meu Balanco

It??s from the album "Meu balan??o" (CBS 137896 - 1975).

This one:

Peace

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Soulstrut comes through again! Thanx guys.

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    And just say something if you need song title translations!

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    So Motown, your feelin my Brazilian selection eh!
    Glad you like it, also look out for the Blue Brazil 3 comp I did for Blue Note (mixture of various styles from 60s & 70s).

Laters

Mark

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    So Motown, your feelin my Brazilian selection eh!
    Glad you like it, also look out for the Blue Brazil 3 comp I did for Blue Note (mixture of various styles from 60s & 70s).

Laters

Mark

I definitely am! I sent you a PM about it via the VV site.

• Gilberto Gil - Oerebro Electronico

title is actually 'Cerebro Eletronico'
    great freakin record. If you like that song you'll like this LP. classic.

That's the record that made me like Brazilian music-- I heard "Futurivel" and the shit blew my head. The arrangement's like Portishead's "Only You" 30 years beforehand, only better and with decent vocals. Still can't get with all that happy ass batucada friction drum shit, though.

Still can't get with all that happy ass batucada friction drum shit, though.

you mean like 'Aquele Abraco' from that Gil record? that's like the foundation for all that stuff! (no disrespect to your opinion)

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

Could you translate lyrics?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    you mean like 'Aquele Abraco' from that Gil record? that's like the foundation for all that stuff! (no disrespect to your opinion)

I wouldn't say that song is part of the foundation - more a popularization. Before the late 1960s the radio and television were dominated by pop ballads, bossa, and balanco. Street samba was the music of the lower classes and was hard to find on records.

For an established pop artist like Gil to adopt that sound gave it middle- and upper-class credibility, and people started rediscovering OG samba musicians like Cartola. Same thing with Gil's adoption of afro-Bahian sounds later in the 1970s.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I wouldn't say that song is part of the foundation - more a popularization. Before the late 1960s the radio and television were dominated by pop ballads, bossa, and balanco. Street samba was the music of the lower classes and was hard to find on records.

For an established pop artist like Gil to adopt that sound gave it middle- and upper-class credibility, and people started rediscovering OG samba musicians like Cartola. Same thing with Gil's adoption of afro-Bahian sounds later in the 1970s.

that song is so so important though..it is more than just a happy pop song, it is kinda of a love letter to the Brazilian people during his exile when he and Caetano got kicked out of Brazil by the regime. Its a heavy tune, sentiment-wise

• Still can't get with all that happy ass batucada friction drum shit, though.

No, I wasn't talking about that. Just saying, I grew up knowing bossa nova, which is usually pleasant but not that interesting to me. In the early 1990s, I heard a lot of happy ass batucada friction drum samba shit because I worked at a store that used to service a lot of English dealer lists and that was the shit the teabaggers were into. I hated that style so much it kept from checking for tropicalia or any of the other sounds that came out of Brazil. Which is my loss.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

that song is so so important though..it is more than just a happy pop song, it is kinda of a love letter to the Brazilian people during his exile when he and Caetano got kicked out of Brazil by the regime. Its a heavy tune, sentiment-wise

Absolutely, I wasn't trying to discount the song in the slightest! That album is incredible front to back, and I can't count how many times I've listened to it. But still, 'Aquele Abraco' isn't the foundation of samba. Gil picked up that sound the same way he adopts big band arrangements or British rock elsewhere on the LP, or reggae a couple albums later.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but one of the great things about Gil in the 1970s was his ability to bring neglected parts of Brazilian culture into the popular imagination... like his adoption of the trios eletricos and African carnival blocos in Salvador.

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts

Could you translate lyrics?

Sure. If i have the lyrics or if i have the record. Sure why not?

Absolutely, I wasn't trying to discount the song in the slightest! That album is incredible front to back, and I can't count how many times I've listened to it. But still, 'Aquele Abraco' isn't the foundation of samba. Gil picked up that sound the same way he adopts big band arrangements or British rock elsewhere on the LP, or reggae a couple albums later.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but one of the great things about Gil in the 1970s was his ability to bring neglected parts of Brazilian culture into the popular imagination... like his adoption of the trios eletricos and African carnival blocos in Salvador.

well, i didn't exactly mean that 'abraco' is the foudnation of samba. I guess what i was getting at is, even though Brazilian pop had previously been ballads, bossa etc, that the more Afro-Bahian sounds were rooted as deeply in Brazil as those other forms, even if not in heavy tv/radio rotation. And Gil, being from Bahia, would have been familiar with those sounds from his upbringing (correct me if i'm wrong) which is not true of rock, big-band and reggae.

"Abraco" was easily the biggest hit from that LP true? i'm positing the reason for this as due to samba being deeply rooted in that society, you know, more in the tradition than 'cerebro'. i think that's what i originally meant.