David Sanborn-Night Music Appreciation

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Im so sorry i dismissed this show when it was on.....

I dont think i was home during those evenings. I remember thinkin David Sanborn was kinda square and i wasnt feelin his lineups...I slept.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I loved this show while it was on. Loved it even better after they got rid of Jools Holland as cohost.

I wonder if the Conway Twitty/Residents clip is on Youtube...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I can't believe they ever let Jools near a US show. It just doesn't translate.

I remember thinkin David Sanborn was kinda square and i wasnt feelin his lineups...

Does this also extend to FORGIVING him for his mad TEPIDS?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Ha, I was just about to start the same thread.

Now, we didn't get this show where I live, so I hadn't seen it back when it aired. I came across it on youtube searching for Sun Ra footage, and started checking other clips from the show. I wasn't even aware that Sanborn had a TV show.

Regardless of what you think of his his music, you got to give him some respect for putting these older cats on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regardless of what you think of his his music, you got to give him some respect for putting these older cats on.

Wikipedia's Entry - Check the Artists appearences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LOVED this show.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I loved this show, it was must see shit back in college. I still have a couple of episodes on VHS somewhere, but I would love to see this hit DVD. I know there have petitions circulated in the past for it.

• so killin it. D needs to put down the yayo.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    when was this show on the air?

when was this show on the air?

sunday nites on NBC, from 1988-90

originally titled Sunday Night during season one

later changed to Night Music for season two

and it NEVER jumped the shark!!!

• YES, this show was awesome! if only this kind of thing was still possible on tv. i've never had cable before, but i can remember staying up alone as a ~13 year old, dialing this into the tv, messing with the antenna, and getting my mind blown w/ first exposure to Sun Ra. think i even taped some stuff off the air. thank you David Sanborn!

YES, this show was awesome! if only this kind of thing was still possible on tv.

on cable it would be...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    my best friend would tape these back when we were 12 or so and it was our first exposure to Sun Ra and Residents, both of which became favorites for years.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

sunday nites on NBC, from 1988-90

originally titled Sunday Night during season one

later changed to Night Music for season two

and it NEVER jumped the shark!!!

Although it looks like David's hair was mad foolish at some points.

How did I miss this? It must have been on after my bed time.

I'm loving D'Angelo's video and his straight jazz guy look with the black suit and glasses.

Props for featuring Lakim Shabazz on a show that didnt have much Hip Hop. Theyve could have easily went w/ the usual Def Jam/MTV robots.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Um show 207, please.

The Pixies
    Sun Ra
    Syd Straw
    Arthur Baker
    Al Green
    Sister Carol

• great line ups, but damn dudes, david sanborn is a straight cheeseball. his tone is dreadful, like the equivalent of a dumb orange-tanned cheerleader bimbo (attractive in the most superficial way to the most superficial people IMHO). there is a Braums hamburger restaurant close to my school and they play a raunchy Sanborn/George Benson/George Winston/Dave Grusin/Kenny G 83'-93' megamixxx. it's awful, but my friend does a perfect Sanborn sax impression with his mouth, sounds just like Sanbreezy.

great line ups, but damn dudes, david sanborn is a straight cheeseball. his tone is dreadful, like the equivalent of a dumb orange-tanned cheerleader bimbo (attractive in the most superficial way to the most superficial people IMHO). there is a Braums hamburger restaurant close to my school and they play a raunchy Sanborn/George Benson/George Winston/Dave Grusin/Kenny G 83'-93' megamixxx. it's awful, but my friend does a perfect Sanborn sax impression with his mouth, sounds just like Sanbreezy.

Relax dude, this is not about Sandborn's music.

And Id Blap a Orange Skinned Bimbo Cheerleader anywayz.

• great line ups, but damn dudes, david sanborn is a straight cheeseball. his tone is dreadful, like the equivalent of a dumb orange-tanned cheerleader bimbo (attractive in the most superficial way to the most superficial people IMHO). there is a Braums hamburger restaurant close to my school and they play a raunchy Sanborn/George Benson/George Winston/Dave Grusin/Kenny G 83'-93' megamixxx. it's awful, but my friend does a perfect Sanborn sax impression with his mouth, sounds just like Sanbreezy.

Relax dude, this is not about Sandborn's music.

And Id Blap a Orange Skinned Bimbo Cheerleader anywayz.

dood. you can catch me relaxin' sanborn style always

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've actually met Sanborn several times, my old boss was good friends with him. Nice enough guy, likes the ladies, knows music better than his own output would seem possible.

I've actually met Sanborn several times, my old boss was good friends with him. Nice enough guy, likes the ladies, knows music better than his own output would seem possible.

It seems as thought Marcus Miller(musical director) and the Executive Porducer of the show most likely shaped the shows "playlists" w/ Sandborn being only the host.