Record Store Day

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
At first I thought this was just a local thing but apparently it's nationwide. Any of you shop owners/employees participating? As much as most of the events don't really appeal to me I think it's a great idea to get people into (or back into) buying music and the going to the record store.They have a website and everything: www.recordstoreday.comAlso - As much as I grew up with Amoeba and appreciate it, I'm not sure how I feel about them calling themselves a kind of independent store and playing up the "record store experience". Cause I really do not like being in their noisy stores and it's a bad look for them to overshadow the smaller shops that actually need the attention that this event could bring them.

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I'm gonna beat the rush and go shopping today...

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I actually just had a homework assignment for my recording industry class where we had to research and right a one-pager about this "holiday." I'd never heard of it but apparently it's a national thing and most indie shops do something to celebrate. He went one step further today by giving us an extra credit assignment where all we have to do is go to a store, buy something and right a paragraph describing the place. Yes i will take an extra 5% for doing my normal saturday routine, thank you very much. I'll be at Reckless on Milwaukee and might stop by Dusty Groove if I got time.

What stores are ya'll goin to on Saturday?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'm about to be inteviewed on WAMU (NPR station in DC) about this. Airs at 1:30 today:
    http://wamu.org/programs/kn/08/04/17.php#19860

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i'll be spinning at the fifth element for a while....

• fatbeats is offering free shipping on saturday and i believe 10% off in store.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    this is not a national thing, well it is now i guess. but this came up a few months ago as the record store industry's attempt to get people to go to record stores. Its really weird to me though, because its great that you get people to show up that one day, but if they aren't regular customers or even semi-regular customers how is this helping in the long run? it may lead to ONE day of great sales, but unless they are able to translate that into one day weekly or even monthly of great sales, tehn what is one day a year going to do for the struggling store? It helps in the short-term but lets be real.

In addition to that, why did they wait until shit was THIS bad to launch it? Furthermore this is hardly a holiday, its desperation at its most obvious.

Its a new day for music and record stores and the stores that are clinging to this as some great turn around for them are really kidding themselves.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What stores are ya'll goin to on Saturday?

I'll probably head over to Skippy White's. I haven't been since they closed the Central Sq. location. Hell, I may even see if the flea market is up and running again.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

In addition to that, why did they wait until shit was THIS bad to launch it?

'cause when things were good, they didn't have to

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I actually just had a homework assignment for my recording industry class where we had to research and right a one-pager about this "holiday." I'd never heard of it but apparently it's a national thing and most indie shops do something to celebrate. He went one step further today by giving us an extra credit assignment where all we have to do is go to a store, buy something and right a paragraph describing the place. Yes i will take an extra 5% for doing my normal saturday routine, thank you very much.

Make sure you use spell-check after you "right" that paper,
    or you may end up losing that 5% ...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I actually just had a homework assignment for my recording industry class where we had to research and right a one-pager about this "holiday." I'd never heard of it but apparently it's a national thing and most indie shops do something to celebrate. He went one step further today by giving us an extra credit assignment where all we have to do is go to a store, buy something and right a paragraph describing the place. Yes i will take an extra 5% for doing my normal saturday routine, thank you very much.

That would slip write though spell check. It's things like that that keep me gainfully employed.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like the Onion poll on Record Stores..."people now prefer to download music rather than frequent brick-and-mortar-chinese-takeout-containers-and-old-fliers-everywhere-and-horn-rimmed-asshole-behind-the-counter stores"

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Any publicity is good publicity as far as I'm concerned. I was on the local NPR station this morning and in the Washington Post today. Now if I only had some customers....

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I actually just had a homework assignment for my recording industry class where we had to research and write[/b] a one-pager about this "holiday." I'd never heard of it but apparently it's a national thing and most indie shops do something to celebrate. He went one step further today by giving us an extra credit assignment where all we have to do is go to a store, buy something and write[/b] a paragraph describing the place. Yes I will take an extra 5% for doing my normal Saturday routine, thank you very much.

That would slip write though spell check. It's things like that that keep me gainfully employed.

Damn, good call on that one. If it makes you feel better I actually read through my papers before I turn em in. Not so much with message board correspondence.

• Any publicity is good publicity as far as I'm concerned. I was on the local NPR station this morning and in the Washington Post today. Now if I only had some customers....

Jeez...I drove all the way from Jersey.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Why does this day exist, anyway? There isn't a strict discount or freebie or even a "thanks from not ripping off buying from old grandmothers like we do" badge of honor.

Useless.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, that's certainly not useless. I hereby rescind my statement.

In Chicago, however, they're BDN; just one more sign in the boutique window.

Sorry for the harshness.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I'ma going to Groove Merchant:)
    See ya tomorrow Chris or Josh!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Anyone?

• Thanks to Rasputins for selling me an op Jimmy Smith - Paid In Full for $4.00

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Here is a recordstoreday youtube channel:

http://youtube.com/user/recordstoreday

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Great day. Cute girls, lots of money, even got some good trades/deals.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Not much happened at our shop...except the drummer for the Hot Dogs came in and I had a nice conversation with him...turns out he was the drummer on some of the Tommy Jay stuff. When I mentioned I had been after his "Tender Love" 45 on Hi for a long time, he said "I think I have some at the house, Ill bring you one" I hope he comes through on that, as much as I love that song I cant bring myself to pay the $300+ that it goes for...nice dude, he had some great stories about recording with Sam Philips and Terry Manning...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Why does this day exist, anyway? There isn't a strict discount or freebie

Soundgarden in Baltimore had a stack of free Wye Oak 7"s courtesy of Merge. Exclusive tracks, I believe.

Not sure if the 7" was free nationally or just cuz the group's local, but it was produced exclusively for record-day promotion.

• decent Saturday sales at our shop in Campbell/SouthBay/Cali, but not one person knew it was "record day" who came in ...

• Here's the sets from the block party if anyone wants to download.

http://dailysession.com/category/radio-shows/

• all kinds of shit going on in seattle for this - lots of in-stores and free stuff at several shops. several labels promo vinyl they were giving away which i thought was a good look. LPs, 45s, everything from shitty label samplers to some dope free light in the attic 12's.