WHATS YOUR SPENDING LIMIT ON WAX!

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
MINE IS FIFTY! I JUST DON'T GET IT WHEN I SEE PEOPLE SPENDING 1000.00 ON A 45. WHATS UP WITH THAT?

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I bid $300 once on a record and am glad I lost. But the highest I've ever balled was $125. Think I've spent around $100 a couple times. But I'm broke these days and now balling = $30.

but really it's all relative. If you're some retired millionaire Brit, it aint shit shell out a G for some Northern 45.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I JUST DON'T GET IT WHEN I SEE PEOPLE SPENDING 1000.00 ON A 45. WHATS UP WITH THAT?

That's called being an idiot.

• Options
    $650 for a 12" , but I rarely spend above $250.

K.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    $650 for a 12"

• Options
    I feel more of a talking about the music contained within aas opposed to what I spent.

K.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    It is extremely, extremely rare that I will pay more than $10 for a used record. The percent of records I pay more than $1-2 for is like .0001%

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    when you're selling record for 3 figures all the time, it's ok to throw down on something you've wanted for a while, no?

justifying this addiction is funny.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    It is extremely, extremely rare that I will pay more than $10 for a used record. The percent of records I pay more than $1-2 for is like .0001%

cosign. ive dropped 100 twice, next highest is 20.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    For one piece, or on a record buying spree? I think these days my limit would be $50, although with more to play with ($$$ and records) I probably would spend a bit more. But it's always about hunting and hoping for good finds.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i spent 30,000 on my copy of the frank wilson 45

not true.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I just spent $150 on a 45 and didnt think twice. But, this does not happen every day. I had been looking for this particular record for some time, and I also think I got a good deal.
    And I figure roughly $200 is what I would spend in a month anyway at bar, so I stopped going to bar and now I have extra dough to use.

Records or a Hangover? I'll take the record thanks.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'll spend whatever it takes to get whatever I want whenever I want. Seriously. Do you have something for me? Cash waiting.

When you sell records for a living like I do, money is so plentiful that the cost of records become meaningless.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'll spend whatever it takes to get whatever I want whenever I want.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    rarely spend above $250.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I'll spend whatever it takes to get whatever I want whenever I want. Seriously. Do you have something for me? Cash waiting.

When you sell records for a living like I do, money is so plentiful that the cost of records become meaningless.

you must be doing pretty well. Most of the dealer friends I have make an okay but not incredible living. But they can't fuck with the computer or business savvy friends who easily surpass 100k. (sometimes I wonder what I'd do with 2k a week... shit might as well be science fiction)

Once you're around people who spend $100 on a record like it's an everyday thing, it becomes no big thing. Plus you get into serious niche genres. There's not too many LPs with a "deep funk" sound, so you get into 45s. Or whatever

talking about what you pay for music is pretty silly.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

Straight-talkin'
    Some cats live with their moms and therefore are stricktly dollar-bin diggers. Others pull down 100K. So one man's $100 is like another man's $1. Some dealers who play the short game, grabbing records 5 for $1000 just to flip two for $2000 and keep the rest.

Pay what you can and move on...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yah, if you love the music[/b] and can afford it[/b], why not cop it and have an ice tea? Life's too short to be fretting about ducets.

Saying, for example the dude who won my crazy auction is a Senior VP of A&R at a big music company. He had been looking for the LP for 20 years and was ready to drop loot. Deep pockets and patience, that's all you need.

What, me worry?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

you must be doing pretty well. Most of the dealer friends I have make an okay but not incredible living. But they can't fuck with the computer or business savvy friends who easily surpass 100k. (sometimes I wonder what I'd do with 2k a week... shit might as well be science fiction)

Once you're around people who spend $100 on a record like it's an everyday thing, it becomes no big thing. Plus you get into serious niche genres. There's not too many LPs with a "deep funk" sound, so you get into 45s. Or whatever

My friend, I was being just a little sarcastic. I make virtually nothing, which is precisely why I'm leaving this silly game. It's back to school for me so that I can join the ranks of people for whom a couple bucks here and there on a record is nothing.

It's back to school for me so that I can join the ranks of people for whom a couple bucks here and there on a record is nothing.

REAL TALK WITH DANNO

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Deep pockets and an ice tea, that's all you need.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The mostestest I've ever spent on a record was ??140 - but thats way above anything else I've ever spent - That was for the record that made me wanna be a DJ in the first place, so it holds a particularly high status with me anyway.

Thankfully I have never really been hell bent on any records that are particularly expensive - apart from the Gene Tilley 45.

Digging is so much more rewarding on the on the wallet and the soul, and its like 5 quid on a record you'd get off a dealer or ebay for 80 quid, but you're not always going to immediately find something you heard last week that you want - so then its paying the bit extra on ebay for that shit I guess.

• I set a twenty dollar limit on my spending per record unless I've been looking for something for a year, or, in the rare case, I come across something I know there is no way I'll see in another years time.

I've only spent over twenty a few times in my life and only by a few bucks. I don't want to get into the habit of just dropping the necessary loot on every record I 'kinda' want. What the hell would I do with my lunch hour?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    My friend, I was being just a little sarcastic. I make virtually nothing, which is precisely why I'm leaving this silly game. It's back to school for me so that I can join the ranks of people for whom a couple bucks here and there on a record is nothing.

Sorry I missed the tongue in cheek (ayo?)

• Options

Don't forget to hand in your badge.

K.

TURN IN YOUR GUN AND BADGE

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I paid 5 million dollars for a Main Source 12" 3-4 years ago. They said it was dope on Spinemagazine. How much is it worth now?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    My limit is about $25-35 a record. I rarely ever pay that much for a record though. I like the satisfaction of finding the more expensive records for a $1 in the cheap bins. Sometimes it takes years to find them, rather than just go on ebay, but for me it is all about the hunt.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    $1

• Recently hit the $100 mark for a 45. A handful in the $50 - $75 range. Most way cheaper...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I finally broke $100 for Kennith Higney. Am I balling yet???