It It Me, Or Is This Just Excessive??

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Complete Detroit Jazz Center Residency (limited edition 28 CD set)An amazing collection of music -- the complete performances of the Sun Ra Arkestra during a one week stay at the Detroit Jazz Center in the early 80s! The massive 28 CD set offers a wonderful chance to see this creative ensemble in action -- as each night of the performances offers up something different -- a change in mood, a shift in style, and a wide array of songs that never fails to amaze us! These guys were hardly content to just run over the same music night after night -- and during their stay at the Jazz Center, they were clearly taking the time to work out new ideas in front of the audience -- the kind of ever-evolving approach to their sound that always made the Arkestra one of the most dynamic organizations in jazz. The package is quite unique -- 28 CDRs in a special box with a painted image of Ra on the front (by Chicago artist Fred Burkhart) -- supported by fold-out notes that list each title over the week of music, plus personnel for the date.28 Frickin' CD's???

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    oh, i thought this thread was about the my little pony forum fashion thread:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Reminds me of when Keith Jarret thought we wanted to hear every noodle he noodled and was releasing a box set every week.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    excessive. I don't know that i could deal with one hour of this, let alone 28!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Excessive, but it's only $100 (the price of a six disc Miles set).

And it's probably the all-time classic line-up:

Sun Ra (organ, synthesizer, piano, vocals); Marshall Allen (alto sax, flute, kora); John Gilmore (tenor sax, vocals); Michael Ray (trumpet, vocals); Walter Miller (trumpet); Tony Bethel (trombone); Vincent Chancey (french horn); Danny Ray Thompson (bass, flute); James Jacson (bassoon, ancient Egyptian infinity drum, vocals); Skeeter McFarland (electric guitar); Taylor Richardson (electric guitar); Richard Williams (bass); Lugman Ali (drums); June Tyson (vocals, dance)

So, hell, assuming you have the space in your apartment it ain't a bad deal.

I guess you could always give away half of them.

• Excessive, but it's only $100 (the price of a six disc Miles set).

And it's probably the all-time classic line-up:

Sun Ra (organ, synthesizer, piano, vocals); Marshall Allen (alto sax, flute, kora); John Gilmore (tenor sax, vocals); Michael Ray (trumpet, vocals); Walter Miller (trumpet); Tony Bethel (trombone); Vincent Chancey (french horn); Danny Ray Thompson (bass, flute); James Jacson (bassoon, ancient Egyptian infinity drum, vocals); Skeeter McFarland (electric guitar); Taylor Richardson (electric guitar); Richard Williams (bass); Lugman Ali (drums); June Tyson (vocals, dance)

So, hell, assuming you have the space in your apartment it ain't a bad deal.

I guess you could always give away half of them.
    No you're right, as far as a deal, it's not that bad. Albert Ayler's Holy Ghost box set was $100 and came with 8 CD's. What's excessive is the amount of music...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    28 CDRs[/b]

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    280 MP3s[/b]

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    oh, i thought this thread was about the my little pony forum fashion thread:

wow...I don't even understand that look...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You never heard of the Sad Donkeyz Crew?