Is this orginally a soul song?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
The Gaylads - If You Don't MindIts got all the makings of a stateside soul tune, but is it? I'm sure its probably some super-obvious standard by like, the Impressions or something, and just I'm too much of a little dude to know. Nice tune nonetheless.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't think so...it is very nice and exists in a previous and earlier form, but I can't remember the title right now. As far as I know, it is BB Seaton's song.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Pretty sure that's the OG LSP and the upsetters '69.

Proper name of the track is "i wear my slanders"

Yes! The first one is slower than this one, right? And echo-y in that distinctly Perry way?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    wow, great tune!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Yes! The first one is slower than this one, right? And echo-y in that distinctly Perry way?

Actually the Gaylads were produced by perry on these tracks with the upsetters as the backing band, maybe you are thinking of the version? Or possibly a dub came about from this.

I think it goes like this: The first 'Slanders' version (not dub, but arrangement - lol) is the Lee Perry track and is the slower one - with vocals. The one posted up here is the later one, If You Don't Mind, and was produced by Seaton.

I like the one posted up here.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    You are exactly right:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Wear-My-Slanders/dp/B000QQI55U

This version is much better than the original, it's rare i say that!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

This version is much better than the original

Really? I think I like that snippet of the OG I just listened to. But I'm hugely bias towards reverberated rocksteady vocals. I'll trade if anyone's got the upsetters version.