Monk Higgins Appreciation

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
i love just about anything this dude worked on. any co-signers?i'm listening to Freddy Robinson's "The Coming Atlantis" album right now, which i got today. a few of the songs are PERFECT. some of my favorite 45's have him working as producer. i only have one of his solo LPs and it could have been pretty mediocre, but theres this strangeness to his productions (from the late 60's anyway) that makes nearly anything he touched sounds amazing.maybe im crazy though.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hell, yeah - MAJOR co-sign.

I'm much more into his production for others
    than the music under his name that I've found
    so far, although I do like his "Look of Love"
    on Chess, and I still haven't heard the E.S.P.
    album on Solid State that people sweat.

His production work for One-Der-Ful, especially
    with Johnny Sayles, is killer, and Andy Butler on
    Tangerine ... also the Three Sounds albums that he
    worked on, those are all solid. His sound is distinct,
    hard to put a name to but really packs a punch.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For about, oh, 10 years now, I've been thinking of putting together a Monk Higgins mix-CD ("Monk with the Funk," natch) of all his best productions.

One of these days, I might actually get around to it.

Wasn't he Etta James' cousin?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I just know the two singles by Monk on the St. Lawrence label that I have, "Who Dun It" and "Ceatrix Did It." I've heard mixed reports about his later United Artists stuff, though...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    His sound is distinct,
    hard to put a name to but really packs a punch.

yes. seems strange to have "influences" when it comes to sample-based music, but my biggest one by far is higgins.

any record he worked on is bound to at least have 2 or 3 songs that sound exactly like id love my own album to sound like.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the coming of atlantis is untouchable
    subtle backround vox/strings are too fly
    what a great track
    not to mention the shredding f.robinson gtr in that joint

has anyone else covered that tune?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I'll ride for Monk Higgins any day.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'll ride for Monk Higgins any day.

Plus, didn't he work with Horace Ott quite a bit? For some reason I always equate those two names together as always being great material.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

• the E.S.P.album on Solid State that people sweat.

he's great...what does this album sound like? promising sleeve...

got an extra copy of "dance to the disco sax" (with the break on one man band)if anyone wants to trade for it. but i have to warn you, outside that break there is nothing redeeming about this album.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    "Gotta Be Funky" on "Heavyweight" is my shit.

To me, some of his best work was with Gene Harris and the 3 Sounds on the 3-4 albums he helped produce for them.

That plus "River's Invitation" for Freddy Robinson.

ANd don't sleep on his Blue Mitchell productions.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    can we get a top 5 of higgins songs/higgins productions? please don't include anything off heavyweights.

I tend to hate on monk (i know, i know), although I'm sure I have 45s he produced that I love. Really am drawing a blank right now.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Wasn't he Etta James' cousin?

Yea, I think I heard that too. I know he's from Arkansas. The heavyweight one with the scale on the front is a good one. I like all his stuff.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "heavy weight" is one of the first records i bought to sample back in 1990. i also bought "2 headed freep" on that trip.

can we get a top 5 of higgins songs/higgins productions? please don't include anything off heavyweights.

Why not?

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Hey, I already have that Freddy Robinson ripped and uploaded if anyone's looking for it.

Freddy Robinson - The Coming Atlantis [1968/9][/b]
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ayvexcfwxjr

Fred L. Robinson(g), Bob West(el-b,b), King Errison(perc), Alan C. Estes(vib), Joseph L. Sample(p), Dee Ervin(perc), Monk Higgins(org,arr,cond), Paul Humphrey(dr), Ernest Williams(b,cl,bs), Plas Johnson(ts), Allen Butler(fl), Allen Brisbois(tp), Sid Sharp(string section), background-vocals

I have the later release of that by a different name (Black Fox), love that album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    To me, some of his best work was with Gene Harris and the 3 Sounds on the 3-4 albums he helped produce for them.

How about the Charles Wright stuff?

• Hey, I already have that Freddy Robinson ripped and uploaded if anyone's looking for it.

Thank Joo!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've had a sealed copy of "Little Mama" for a while, only because I listened to it once a couple years ago and wasn't very impressed... whats the straight dope on this LP? Is it a listener?

How about the Charles Wright stuff?

Ah, that's right - I forgot he also did arrangements on "You're So Beautiful." Damn, I should have asked Charles about him. Thanks for the reminder.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've had a sealed copy of "Little Mama" for a while, only because I listened to it once a couple years ago and wasn't very impressed... whats the straight dope on this LP? Is it a listener?

The cover is really the only thing to recommend this one.

Also: his cousin was Barbara Acklin - I think he helped discover Etta James.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Did he produce other 45s on Canyon apart from the Big Daddy Crimson one??

The cover is really the only thing to recommend this one.

If even that. The album is a snoozer.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ...and sure enough, here I am spinning a incredible gospel 45 on the Halo label by the Gospel Souls, "The Fire Keeps On Burning In My Heart - Part 2." Writer: Monk Higgins. And Halo was the gospel subsidiary of One-derful, legendary Chicago soul label.

(There is a Part One, but it's mainly a monologue - Part Two is where the action's at.)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my rule of thumb:

Monk Higgins listed as arranger/producer..check it out it might be good

Monk Higgins listed as artist...90% chance it is going to suck