Hip hop message board from 1993...

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Saw this on SOHH.com, can't tell if it's real, but the posts are all pretty funny. Escessive use of the word "phat" leads me to believe this was really a bunch of hip hoppers posting mesages on the internet 15 years ago. Not sure if this is post-worthy, I guess we'll see. Enjoy the throwback. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rap/topics?hl=en&start=60000&sa=N

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I know the internet sorta existed in '93 (my highschool gave us e-mail accounts in '92) but I wasn't really on it back then.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    It's funny to read the posts. Some things have really changed with online forums, some things haven't. Note the use of proper english and grammar in a lot of the posts. No text-message-english in sight! And I get a kick out of the use of "shizit" or "shiznit" and all the hype about the Snoop single for Gin & Juice. Takes me back. I remember using the internet around 94, maybe 93. On some compuserve shit... The good old days? Haha.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Probably a newsgroup off of Usenet. Which don't really get used anymore for discussion. But binary newsgroups are still huge for all ur warez needs! Tho, I have not used them in over a year or two.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

From: [email]3jb3bau...@vms.csd.mu.edu[/email] (Crack Baby)
    Date: 9 Sep 1993 04:24:16 GMT
    Local: Thurs, Sep 9 1993 12:24 am

Subject: Snoop Dogg's Single.

I just heard Snoop's new single. I heard that it may have been released laste last week, but this is the first that I've heard of it. A local radio station played it completely uncensored-- kind of amazing, I thought... then again, I'm not from around here (Milwaukee).
    Anyone else heard this shzit? Had a chorus something like 'Rollin down the street, smokin indo... sippin on gin and juice....'

-jB
    /s
    help

NICE

Some interesting info. 20 Year Usenet Timeline

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

• I know the internet sorta existed in '93 (my highschool gave us e-mail accounts in '92) but I wasn't really on it back then.

My personal use of the Internet started in the late 80's to early 90's when I used a 2400 baud modem to dial into a Xylogics modem pool and then telnet into computers at the University of Maryland for free just so I could learn UNIX and other things. Around early 90's I became addicted to IRC and was logging into the Internet solely for IRC chats. At that time there were several HipHop related IRC Chatrooms so a hiphop usenet newsgroup is not unlikely and there were probably various other ones as well.

The issue with the proper spelling and grammer isn't that much more of a leap either because at that time you really needed to know how to get onto the Internet. You had systems like Compuserv (already mentioned), Prodigy and Delphia(or something like that) providing Internet like services and then eventually were connected to the Internet. Back then people were not just turning on their computer and they were connected. My point is you had to be a little more educated to get your bitch ass on the net back then.

Some interesting info. 20 Year Usenet Timeline

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

Some of these are amazing to read for geeks like me.

While the posts of "Tim Berners-Lee's announcement of what became the World Wide Web or Linus Torvalds' post about his "pet project" are amazing.

Even nerd ones like this make me kinda smile.

Newsgroups: net.movies
    Date: Wed Jun 9 01:53:30 1982
    Local: Wed, Jun 9 1982 4:53 am
    Subject: Re: Star Wars III ? -- it should be Star Wars VI

"Revenge of the Jedi"... Episode 6 in the Star Wars saga, has
    just finished filming, according to some friends I have down in
    Arizona.

The release date for us humans that want to see it is
    still the summer of 1983. I guess it takes that long to score
    all the music, do all the film-editing, prepare all the promo
    material, and all that junk.

I wish Lucas & Co. would get the thing going a little faster.
    I can't really imagine waiting until 1997 to see all nine parts
    of the Star Wars series.

Here's a trivia question for other fellow addicts of Star Wars:

Most everyone knows that the original "Star Wars" was
    episode 4 in the series, and "The Empire Strikes Back"
    was episode 5.

Who out there knows the new correct TITLE of Episode 4?

Don't get me wrong -- the thing is still called Star Wars
    by millions of people, but there is a specific title that
    tells what episode 4 is about. That's what I'm looking
    for.

Send replies to:

...!decvax!teklabs!tekmdp!randals
    -or-
    ...!ucbvax!teklabs!tekmdp!randals

I'll publish the correct title in about a week.

Randal L. Schwartz (Ran-dahl Calrizzian)
    Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products
    Beaverton, Oregon (ORR-i-gun, not AWWW-ree-GONE!!)

P.S. How many people have seen SW more than 22 times in the theatre,
    or at triple speed on video tape (boy, that's fun)?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Randal L. Schwartz (Ran-dahl Calrizzian)
    Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products

!!!

what an awesome geek nickname.

BTW anyone buy Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products stock in 93?

solely for IRC chats.

I've always thought about maybe hosting a strut IRC server. People could use their own client to jump on and there could be a Java chat room applet for people who didn't know what they were doing, if Raj would put it on the board (though, I'm not a fan of java). Hidden room serving raers...

Maybe get other music type boards on, each with their own rooms. Fuck, i'd use a script just posting rapidshare links for dope music files 24/7!!

• alt rap/hip hop and alt graffiti takes me back.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I know the internet sorta existed in '93 (my highschool gave us e-mail accounts in '92) but I wasn't really on it back then.

My personal use of the Internet started in the late 80's to early 90's when I used a 2400 baud modem to dial into a Xylogics modem pool and then telnet into computers at the University of Maryland for free just so I could learn UNIX and other things. Around early 90's I became addicted to IRC and was logging into the Internet solely for IRC chats. At that time there were several HipHop related IRC Chatrooms so a hiphop usenet newsgroup is not unlikely and there were probably various other ones as well.

The issue with the proper spelling and grammer isn't that much more of a leap either because at that time you really needed to know how to get onto the Internet. You had systems like Compuserv (already mentioned), Prodigy and Delphia(or something like that) providing Internet like services and then eventually were connected to the Internet. Back then people were not just turning on their computer and they were connected. My point is you had to be a little more educated to get your bitch ass on the net back then.
    You lost me at "baud"

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Holy crap. I was on Efnet's IRC since about 94/95 or so (hell I was even part of CMS for a little while). I used to only pick ISP's who offered a Unix shell account solely for that purpose. Didn't really get into newsgroups right off the bat though. I always kept up with John Book's U-Wu newsletter though! I think I still might have the archives too. I remember when Mp3's JUST came out too.

Crazy, using trumpet winsock, unix shells, BitchX, splitting servers, hijacking channels, script kiddies, and of course, WinNuke. Man, this takes me baaaaack.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I first used the internetz back in 1983 or 84, I had a 300 baud modem for my Commodore 64 that I used to connect to Compuserve. There wasn't much to it really, but I was posting on the music message boards that were offered even back then. Old habits die hard I guess.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    early 90's when I used a 2400 baud modem to dial into a Xylogics modem pool and then telnet into computers at the University of Maryland for free just so I could learn UNIX and other things.

Jesus, I thought I was the only one who did that.......I was forever trying to root admin privileges for IRC bots on various boxes.

Back then people were not just turning on their computer and they were connected. My point is you had to be a little more educated to get your bitch ass on the net back then.

TRUTH!

Anyone remember wingates and subnet IP's for different domain names for IRC or am I just that big of a nerd?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

You sound white and nerdy

BitchX!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    not a message board - a newsgroup, one of the old USENET ones.

Ya'll are taking me back...especially to some places I never, ever, ever want to go back to.

I found something I wrote back in 1994 - almost 14 years to the week - where I call into question whether or not "Illmatic" is a "classic" or not.

The funny thing...in some ways, it's not that dissimilar to shit I say now but it is PAINFUL to revisit my younger self.

"This is a good album. This is a great album. This is probably
    the best debut to come out of New York since Black Moon's "Enta Da Stage."
    BUT, this is not the classic everybody's been calling."

I believe I actually use the term "mad play" in here too. Of course, it was '94.

But seriously: x 1000000

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    not a message board - a newsgroup, one of the old USENET ones.

Ya'll are taking me back...especially to some places I never, ever, ever want to go back to.

You and me both. I used to frequent alt.rap, and also rec.music.hiphop probably moreso. But looking at that list of posts, I see a bunch of familiar names. In fact, some of the people here on SoulStrut I first became familiar with because of the newsgroups. The newsgroups were how I first heard of you and John Book. I know Steve Juon and he used to be all over the newsgroups. The guy going by "Crack Baby" I think was a guy named Jesse who was kind of an a-hole but funny at the same time. I'd probably be more familiar with names from RMHH though.

Looking through the archive of that group I've found a bunch of posts I made. This one strikes me as particularly amusing. I was obviously channeling my inner Nostradamus; this was a post in a thread talking about the first posthumous Tupac album to come out in 1997, "R U Still Down?", right around the time of its release:

"Except that we all know that this won't be the last album that Pac's mom
    releases. She knows she's sitting on a goldmine, so she's gonna keep cranking
    out albums until she exhausts the supposed 200+ songs in the can."

Boy, was that ever on the money.