Monday Finds/Vibin’ with ’Strut Brethren

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
Hey,

I went down to meet Motown67 (who visisted MilwauKKKee today, via Chi-town) at Lotusland and vibed with him, my main man T**, and others (whose names escape me). Also, Hank Scorpio pulled through for a minute. It was nice to meet more cool 'Strut peoples, adding to my growing list. I picked up a few ditties while I was there. Here goes:

LPs:
-"Say My Friend"-Rance Allen Group.
-"The Better Part of Me" (sealed)-Clifford Coulter.
-"Into a Real thing"-David Porter.
-"Illusions on a Double Dimple"-Triumvirat.
-"Judgement Day"-The Fabulous Luckett Brothers.
-"Hooray for the Salvation Army Band"-Bill Cosby (an addition to my break crates).
-"Warm & Wild"-Sandra Alexander.
-"S/T"-Maxayn.
-"Bus Stop"-Oliver Sain.
-"S/T"-Black Ivory.
-"Blood Brother"-Gene Redding.
-"Rock Bottom"-Bottom & Co.
-"At Peace with Woman"-The Jones Girls (replacement childhood favorite).
-"One Fine Morning"-Lighthouse (Thanks Motown67).
-"A Taste Of.."-The Younghearts.
-"Soul Experience"-Boris Gardiner.
-"Transitory"-Jasper van't Hof's Pork Pie featuring Charly Mariano.

45s (good lookin' out Motown67):
-"Finger Poppin' Time" b/w "From the Love Side"-Hank Ballard and the Midnight Lighters.
-"The Truth Shall Make You Free" b/w "It's What You Do"-King Hannibal.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

(pagey me)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I chilled with 0 strutters todfay but I did have a day off of work and I used it to buy rackords...

for a grand total of $4.50 I got this:

James Brown[/b] "Hot Pants"" (Polydor)
    James Brown[/b] "It's A Mother" (King)
    Funkadelic[/b] "Free Your Mind..." (Westbound)
    Funkadelic[/b] "Standing on the Verge Of Gettin It On" (Westbound)
    Funkadelic[/b] "S/T" (Westbound)
    Bloodstone[/b] "Unreal" (London)
    Stairsteps[/b] "2nd Ressurection" (Dark Horse)
    Ralph Carmichael[/b] "Cross & Switchblade OST" (Light)
    Main Ingredient[/b] "Afrodisiac" (RCA)
    Cameo[/b] "We All Know Who We Are" (Chocolate City)
    Canadian All Stars[/b] Northern Lights" (MMO) - 2 funky jazz cuts that are a lot better than you may think coming form an instrucitonal LP.
    George Wright[/b] "Nows The Right Time" (Dot) -vlounge Wurlitzer Organ covers of Mannix, Light My Fire, Aquarius, and the toughest version I've heard of Mission Impossible

and 2 chicken wings, rice and a chocolate malt

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

-"Judgement Day"-The Fabulous Luckett Brothers.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Dollar bin moderns:

-Starpoint - "Keep On It" (Chocholate City)
    -Collage - "Do You Like Our Music?" (Solar)

SG

• scored a couple of lps this weekend only one comes to mind.

davani & ryan "funky country" seriously dope country tinged funk. anyone else on it. it has a few cuts that standout on the album. but especially the title track.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Chilled with magic jackson yesterday. Gave him a Jeremy Steig and a Joe Zawinful lp cause he's the hommie.

Just got a Al Johnson "peaceful" in the mail from strutter gir, thanx man.

Traded a few private lp's to my friend at the shop today for-
    Tina Britt- blue all the way ( female soul on minit)
    Billy Faier- banjo (nice instrumental lp on Takoma)
    Muriel Anderson- just begun ( beautiful female folk lp)
    Bobby Brown- live (no not that Bobby Brown, the warped one man band with the six octave range vocals, this record is bugged out)

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Tavares - Love Storm.
    Rufus & Chaka Khan - Street Player.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Keith Sweat "I want her "12
    Some no-name bay rap 12's
    disco 12's

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i guess i was "vibin' with the 'strut brethren". saw some ridiculous cars, then headed over to alhambra high school to watch WAR fuck shit up all day...all dAY...alL DAY...ALL DAY!!!

jeffghost, some dude from the D***'s contacted me and wanted to know if we could float him some footage. possibly an exchange of stuff...check your pm's...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Post deleted by holmes

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    birdcall

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

i guess i was "vibin' with the 'strut brethren". saw some ridiculous cars, then headed over to alhambra high school to watch WAR fuck shit up all day...all dAY...alL DAY...ALL DAY!!!

jeffghost, some dude from the D***'s contacted me and wanted to know if we could float him some footage. possibly an exchange of stuff...check your pm's...

we be vibin even more next time when we get our three part harmonies goin for the karaoke contest.

calling shig.... step to the mic, step up to the mic yaaa, yaaa

• HamHam 872 Posts
    ARSONISTS - as the world burns
    ART HEATLIE - soul saxophonics
    DONALD BYRD - steppin into tomorrow
    LOU DONALDSON - sweet lou
    HUBERT LAWS - the chicago theme
    LARRY CORYELL - restful mind
    YNGVE FORSELLS ORKESTER - same
    ROBIN KENYATTA - gypsy man
    SHELLY MANNE - hot coles

we be vibin even more next time when we get our three part harmonies goin for the karaoke contest.

SONNED!!![/b]

dude, i got moded twice this weekend. first at palms in hollywood by Larry the white guy. no, not the thai elvis, i can handle that fool. but Larry could do impersonations and he had a kermit muppet singing "songs about rainbows".

then at the cruise night. i just couldnt muster up the courage to sing motown in front of a bunch of pachuco warriors. maybe next time.

SONNED!!![/b]

dude, i got moded twice this weekend. first at palms in hollywood by Larry the white guy. no, not the thai elvis, i can handle that fool. but Larry could do impersonations and he had a kermit muppet singing "songs about rainbows".

then at the cruise night. i just couldnt muster up the courage to sing motown in front of a bunch of pachuco warriors. maybe next time.

man i think you, asprin and i would make a serious karaoke force (i'd say team but damn we'd be taking that place by force so call it what it is right?) if we could talk b****e into singing with us we would have no problem taking the eastside by storm. either that or ask her to keep the car running so we can make a proper escape (errr, exit).

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    "moded" is so the right word right now... brings me back to elementary school...

thanks shigger...

oh and i might need that couch at the end of the month... ill holler at you later in the week...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    B****e can hold down a Karaoke ... just put on some GnR or Bon Jovi... Shig knows the deal. Let's mode some folls at The Palms.

looks like we got our force then...

should we get capes or something? you know we'd be intimidating as fuck if we all came in matching gear.

let the modeing begin!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I think matching short sleeve shirts (preferably brown or dark blue with our logo in gold on the back) ala the Duke's of Pasadena would really put the fear of God in all patrons at the Palms.

We could talk someone into dropping us off in a dropped Impala, then the deal would be sealed for real.

t!!

(added bonus...you could grease up your hair into that Elvis do some folk were sporting while Shig and I will rock the bald look to the fullest)

• i guess i was "vibin' with the 'strut brethren". saw some ridiculous cars, then headed over to alhambra high school to watch WAR fuck shit up all day...all dAY...alL DAY...ALL DAY!!!

Holy shit dood! I'm having a serious Karate Kid flashback w/ this post. Between your super ill new avatar and the classic cars, all I can think of is "wax on, wax off!"

I spent the weekend chillin with the San Diego chapter of Soulstrut brethren. Kicked thangs off on Friday night at the Casbah to see surreal hommies Gary Wilson & the Blind Dates. Me & DizzyBull show up and this well endowed but completely annoying lil Filipina chick comes up to me all starry-eyed and says "you're Adrian Milan, right?"

"uhm yeah, that's me". Then she starts gushing about seeing me in the Gary Wilosn documentary and how great and blah blah blah. I'm thinkin, yeah sure honey, that's cool, now let's get a look at those CANS!!

The show was awesomely bizarre. First time I had seen it from the audience's perspective. Me & Diz got properly buzzed at the bar & called it a night.

Next day, Hawn Joo hooked up some serious white trash breakfast delicacies at se??or Diz's request. After all, it was his birthday weekend. So after some "homemade" pigs in a blanket, scrambled eggs & heinekens, we set off an a quest for... you guessed it....RACKORDS.

I won't bore you with the details but this is how yours truly came up :::

Fleetwood Mac[/b] - Then Play On

Fleetwood Mac[/b] - English Rose

Black Sabbath[/b] - Vol 4 (w/booklet)

Black Sabbath[/b] - Born Again

Comus[/b] - First Utterance

Bauhaus[/b] - 1979-1983

Sade[/b] - Promise

Prince[/b] - Purple Rain (w/poster!)

the Cure[/b] - Standing on a Beach

ELP[/b] - Trilogy

Thin Lizzy[/b] - Johnny the Fox

B52's[/b] - Wild Planet

Talking Heads[/b] - Remain in Light

Joe Jackson[/b] - Beat Crazy

Cowboy Junkies[/b] - Trinity Session

Gang of Four[/b] - Entertainment

Gang of Four[/b] - Another Day Another Dollar

X[/b] - Los Angeles

After that was taken care of, we hung with Anna & some other non-SoulStrut folks for some drunken convo, munchin and general shit talkin. In the end, it was a whirlwind of Food Supplement (NOT vitamins) pyramid schemes, Crown Royal (good lookin Anna) and old Koreans who (unknowingly) like to rock Too Short t-shirts and knit hats that say "Bout it Bout it" on em. Good times.

Next mornin, woke up, went outside, smoked a bowl made coffee and did some yardwork. Figured, hell, why not. That was my B'day gift to Diz.

On my way home, I realized something. Something very important, very profound in its simplicity. Whenever life gets you down or you feel like the odds are stacked against you, just remember these sage words of advice from Too $hort...

"It ain't no thing but a chicken wing, ya lil beeeyotch!"[/b]

True....so true

• Hey gang,

Big Stacks, Motown, - it was nice to meet you both! I wish I would've had more time, but I only had a little bit of time to get away and had to get back to work. In any event, I'm happy with my purchases - 45 King beats on the Flavor Unit LP are lovely, and 'Words From the Genius' has been on my want list for a while. I like it. And Keith Murray's 2nd album I've always liked. When I have more time I'll need to look at more than just the hip hop, although there's still a lot I'm looking for.

Good times!

- j*son

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

LPs I picked up in Melbourne last week, good to see I can get 2 Sharon's for the price of what 1 costs here in Auckland (damn local rip off merchants).

Starting to go through the 45s I've bought over the last few weeks. Blackwell - Wonderful (nice funkish rock); Blerta - Dance Around The World (kiwi psychish rock, the flipside gets kinda funky too); Blondie - Rapture (what the hell is she rappin' about?, flipside rocks); Blood Sweat & Tears - And When I Die; Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper (ha ha ha); Box Tops - The Letter (a good copy finally, I'm such a sucker for this band).

fellers, im getting the band back together. asprin, you take the low bass, ghostspacekilla, soprano, i'll take middle alto and b****e can solo.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This week I met Strutter Misterc at my bar gig, saw Strutter Mooney at his shop, and saw Strutter DigDug for about an(actual) minute.

This weekend I rackedup tons of cheap used DVDs for $6 or less (or FREE with CD trade credit) like BLACK CAESAR, COOLEY HIGH, AZUMI (2-disc), THE DRIVER, SUPERFLY, etc. along with a couple boxfuls of various vinyl odds and ends which I will post in an exhaustive/exhausting manner soon.

Big score for today, however, was a shipment from Bags Unlimited with 900 12" paper sleeves, 1000 12" plastic sleeves, and 25 corrugated 12" boxes. I will probably use all of them within the month.

• Options
    Busy week so far

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Busy week so far

K.

Whats this one sound like?

• Options
    Mostly uptempo REAL era modern soul (1976) - though this def leans to disco on the uptempo tracks. My 2 jams off here are the only to slow tunes "Easy" and "Highwaves of the Sea" (which Johnny will recognize from the Starboound LP). One of the cooler disco LP's to come out of Montreal.

Jesse Green medley

K.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• awallawall 673 Posts
    we to santa cruz for the weekend. only bought one record.

anyone have any info on this guy? i'll make another thread about it.