Keb Darge... The Man, The Bald Myth

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
So Keb did a set a Funky Sole the other night. I was pretty blown away. Dropped alot of (surprisingly good) modern soul. dropped some other killer tracks, all of which i of course do not own.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    So Keb did a set a Funky Sole the other night. I was pretty blown away. Dropped alot of (surprisingly good) modern soul. dropped some other killer tracks, all of which i of course do not own.

I had the pleasure to listen to all of the 45's in his "box" one glorious evening when he came through burlington and over half of them were what would be considered modern joints.

I think that's his new deal.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    keb the moder soulman?????

guzzo got some competition now

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Two questions:

1. Moder(n) Soul meaning 80s stuff, or stuff from this year or so?

2. Did he mix or just drop stuff?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    keb just plays the selection, and holds it all together w/ his expert mic work. He is the friendliest dude ever, a great guy really.

a lot of the modern soul stuff falls under the two soul spectrum comps he has put out.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Yeah - it was excellent. He didn't do much fancy stuff - just straight dropped the tracks and made quite a few amusing comments into the mic. Egon and Cut Chemists sets before were also great.

Before the show he was walking around wearing a long brunette wig. Incognito.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    He's got some great modern stuff like that Rokk 45 that basically no one has. Someone posted some live shows of him dropping modern tracks a while back but I can't remember the link.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    3 piece ridiculous modern soul set from keb darge right here!!!

http://soul45.org/cgi-bin/radioshow.cgi

all three of the sets are great. keb plays the awesome late funk tune that he peeled off of dante in this set TWICE!! ellipsis.

modern soul questions will be answered through the course of these dj sets.

make sure not to pass up the killer tune, maybe the best modern soul song ever, RECORD PLAYER- FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!

mad people have the rokk record. it is on tollie.

not even a private joint, just a regular old record that people happen to like. the value is set high due to popularity.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    maybe the best modern soul song ever, RECORD PLAYER- FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!

i guess i don't get this whole modern soul craze.

mad people have the rokk record. it is on tollie.

not even a private joint, just a regular old record that people happen to like. the value is set high due to popularity.

Really? Damn... I've been misinformed. Great track regardless.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

I don't have one modern soul record - well maybe a few - but the stuff that Keb was playing was just tight. If that's 'modern soul', then I 'get it'....

make sure not to pass up the killer tune, maybe the best modern soul song ever, RECORD PLAYER- FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!

I remember really digging that track when I listened to his set. I'm assuming that's a tough one to come by like the others. Correct?

• maybe the best modern soul song ever, RECORD PLAYER- FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!

I don't have one modern soul record - well maybe a few - but the stuff that Keb was playing was just tight. If that's 'modern soul', then I 'get it'....

Yeah I completely agree, if you were to ask me if i liked modern soul i would probably still say no haha. this was served up funky as hell.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Ohhh yeah... that sh*t is straight up firestarter material right there. So Keb is now finding moder soul records of which only 2 known copies exist in the whole world (or has he been on this for awhile now)? Cool.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Modern Soul? A lot of funk guys are hating on Keb's disco sets! That's what they are calling it...

• Modern Soul? A lot of funk guys are hating on Keb's disco sets! That's what they are calling it...

I don't care what you call it. shit was dope.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Modern Soul? A lot of funk guys are hating on Keb's disco sets! That's what they are calling it...

I'd take a dj set of modern soul/funk/boogie/hot buzz word then a dj set of chicken choker funk crap.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

me neither. but, as long as i can make a little change selling some mediocre records for loot on Ebay, i aint complaining.

there are some gems, but alot of it sounds like bad disco to me (and i really like disco). some of the ones that people go the craziest for sound like they wouldn't even make the cut to be included on a Shalimar LP...

that being said, i think modern soul, modern northern, boogie, whatever you call it, is going to go through the roof soon... it's like the only unappriciated mainstream black american music of the last 35 years...

it isn't common so to speak, but you know, not a one or two copy thing.

you know what i mean??

it's like the only unappriciated mainstream black american music of the last 35 years...

you must mean by white hip hop kids from america.

everywhere else in the world hasn't been sleeping.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    it's like the only unappriciated mainstream black american music of the last 35 years...

you must mean by white hip hop kids from america.

everywhere else in the world hasn't been sleeping.

true!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (modern soul is) like the only unappriciated mainstream black american music of the last 35 years...

its not so much "unappreciated," more like: twenty years have passed, so it's about time for it to have its day (again). just like funk, sixties soul, and 50's R&B before it.

just wait in 5-10 years - next thing you know, people will be talking about new jack swing raers from 1990.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

just wait in 5-10 years - next thing you know, people will be talking about new jack swing raers from 1990.

that trend already came and went in Japan.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    That Fabulous Playmates jawn Keb played is pretty damn nice too. Anybody know anything about this record? Raer I'm sure, but is it an impossible one?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

that trend already came and went in Japan.

jikadanpan!*

*(real talk)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    (modern soul is) like the only unappriciated mainstream black american music of the last 35 years...

its not so much "unappreciated," more like: twenty years have passed, so it's about time for it to have its day (again). just like funk, sixties soul, and 50's R&B before it.

not quite... it's not just time. people have been collectiong early 90's hip hop for a while now (maybe since the mid to late 90's) and the whole electro craze hit, what, 3-4 years ago, disco maybe a few years before that... basically, from soul to mid 90's hip hop, black music had been completely collected, sweated, and co-opted, with the exception of modern soul/boogie.. now it seems like it's changing...

re: "white american hip hop kids", i'd have to disagree. it's young americans in general (people who grew up with modern soul like it, but i doubt they're spending 150 bucks for a 45). european and japanese collectors kept on buying new soul records in the 80's and 90's when americans stopped. Modern Soul is one of those "Italo Disco" type terms that didn't mean a thing when the records came out and was tagged on by collectors later. so, of course americans slept on those records, the entire idea of that genre is not an american concept. i think if you played these records to most "white american hip hop kids"and said "this is modern soul" they'd go "oh, THAT's what that is!" and would already own comparably sounding records by Cameo, Shalimar, Lakeside, Raydio, George Benson, Gap Band, Dazz Band, Ohio Players, etc etc...

That Fabulous Playmates jawn Keb played is pretty damn nice too. Anybody know anything about this record? Raer I'm sure, but is it an impossible one?

good eye. another jawdropper. straight up mayhem, i really don't know jack shit abou the lore of that record, on SELECT 45.

just did a google search and the only two dj's who have listed it online are keb darge, and jason stirland of soulbrother records. both heavy modern collectors.... this may mean serious $$$-$$$$.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    keb just plays the selection, and holds it all together w/ his expert mic work. He is the friendliest dude ever, a great guy really.

a lot of the modern soul stuff falls under the two soul spectrum comps he has put out.

Favorite part of the night was when we said ???Don???t stand around and watch me you fuckers! I???m not doing anything fancy!??? The record dorks slowly made their way to the back of the room.

Did anyone make it to the after party at the Charlie Chaplin house?

So Keb is now finding moder soul records of which only 2 known copies exist in the whole world (or has he been on this for awhile now)? Cool.

yeah, dudes been doing this for a long time. keb was into 'rare soul' way before he was jocking the funk 45 idea. 'rare soul' including modern soul btw. keb darge didn't start playing funk 45's until he let his sidekick (who was supposed to teach keb how to mix house) ransack his "junk" box-aka the funk box. this was in 1996. the house dj that started the deepfunk scene by accident was/is Raw Deal, who actually does nice nu-jazz type productions.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    me neither. but, as long as i can make a little change selling some mediocre records for loot on Ebay, i aint complaining.

You should keep em in your crate, might improve your set!

Hi P*t*! You're already famous round here: http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=321880&Forum=All_Forums&Words=peter%20gunn&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=320808&Search=true#Post321880