soul/funk nights in the noVA/DC/MD area

DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
im looking for some new bars/clubs to hit up....i need that funky sheeeit. i know most of yall DJ and hold gigs at some spots in the VA/DC/MD area. lemme know whats good.im especially looking for something going on Thursday, March 27. its my homegirl's birthday and we gonna do it BIG...will be lots of people and i wanna bring em to a funky spot.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• and this place is...??

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    spitzer swallows?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    places I've played funk to less than enthusiastic audiences in dc:
    wonderland ballroom
    club 5 roof
    r&r hotel
    st. Ex
    18th st. Lounge

Dc is a house town. Check out Sam burns' sundays at ESL. Not funk, but by far the most energy in a night in dc

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Dc is a house town. Check out Sam burns' sundays at ESL. Not funk, but by far the most energy in a night in dc

sunday nights with mr. burns is no joke indeed.

• Don't Meistro Moroco and Deep Sang do "dirty bombs" out there?

no doubt.

also, nitekrawler does some authentic goodness along with the secret chimp and som posse.

and don't forget the funkDC boys always holdin' it down like clock work in the city.

• I don't know who'll be playing there on a Thursday night, but a good bet would be Marvin @ 14th and U NW. They will undoubtedly be playing the funk.

And if you get there on the earlier side you can pretty much take over that room, especially if there are a bunch of you. Snag a bunch of tables and you're set. You can get a pretty good dancefloor going in there too.

The food there's pretty good.. "Belgian soul food." A little pricey, but you could have dinner and then jump upstairs and take over the joint.

My b-day's the 28th, maybe I'll drop in and do a shot with the birthday girl!

what up D***?

long time man.

hope to getup soon.

• What up my man! I keep missing you when you come back into town. Next time you're here be sure to give me a ring aight?

indeed we do. Third fridays. Not a funk/soul night really, but we pretty much always play funk/disco/soul for a portion of the night. Hip hop, house, dancehall too.

And major on Sam Burns @ ESL. Best party in the city. I always wondered why dude didn't blow up beyond DC cause he's been killing it here forever (I think he is 50).

• The dude is a bad ass. I've caught him some nights when it was like a religious experience - the man goes deeeep.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    no cover, thursday nights is always poppin. you'll thank me later...

• hahahaha

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    If you ever feel like driving south to dirty Richmond there???s a great night building up called Soulpower RVA by DJ Pari and Troy Hurt. It happens at a place called Ipanema on Grace Street every first Saturday of the month. I'll be a guest on April 5th and I???m really exited to play with these professionals. Recommended!!!

• I've caught him some nights when it was like a religious experience.

yep. it's pretty incredible.

• im looking for some new bars/clubs to hit up....i need that funky sheeeit. i know most of yall DJ and hold gigs at some spots in the VA/DC/MD area. lemme know whats good.

im especially looking for something going on Thursday, March 27. its my homegirl's birthday and we gonna do it BIG...will be lots of people and i wanna bring em to a funky spot.

Unfortunately, I've got nothing for ya on the 27th but here are my usual Soul/Funk/related parties in DC:

1- Every 1rst Thursday of the month, every month
    Bionic @ Bourbon (2321 18th St., NW Washington DC)
    Funk-Soul-CarribeanGrooves-Disco-Afrobeat
    10-close
    w/ DJ Nitekrawler

2- Every 2nd Thursday of the month, every month.
    HEAT @ Saint Ex (1847 14th Street, NW Washington DC)
    Funk-Soul-CarribeanGrooves-Disco-Afrobeat
    10-close
    DJ Nitekrawler

HEAT is my longest running funk/soul night, I've been DJing the funky stuff there for almost 3 years now. You should definitely come out and say hey.

Troy and Pari's nights in Richmond are excellent. Not super close, but worthy of the drive.

indeed we do. Third fridays. Not a funk/soul night really, but we pretty much always play funk/disco/soul for a portion of the night. Hip hop, house, dancehall too.

I also DJ at Wonderland, every third Saturday. Myself and DJ Lunch Money play a pretty large amount of funk/soul/disco as well as hip hop, 80s & classic party jams.

"soon enough i'll be seeing you out on the patio of wonderland high fiving people, cause it's your favorite place"

asshole, i know you're reading this hahahaha.

• "soon enough i'll be seeing you out on the patio of wonderland high fiving people, cause it's your favorite place"

asshole, i know you're reading this hahahaha.

Who is this refering to?

me. someone said that to me yesterday...because i got caught outside with my girl there onetime.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    This Thursday I'm spinning at the Modernist Society Monthly Social at Bourbon in Adams Morgan (we're a Washington Post pic this week):
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/20/AR2008032003452.html
    I also spin funk and soul regularly at the Science Club (last Fridays every month, so this Friday) and at Marvin most weekends (this Saturday).
    If you like Brazilian music I have the best (only) Brazilian night in the city at Cafe Saint-Ex every third Thursday. It's packed from 10PM on (with a lot of Brazilians no less). Next one is April 17.
    PM me if you need more deets.