Beginning of the week finds

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Bring em out. I went to a semi-secret squirrel spot out in Brooklyn today. Found a lot of good classic hip hop and soul/funk that i assume would be good (I am not well-knowledged in that department at all). However, most of it was either empty sleeves or destroyed. Passed a copy of the Protect Ya Neck 12" to a friend.I wound up walking with three records, an old school Natgeo, and a post card.B.T. Express-- Non-StopC.J. & Co.-- Devil's GunGregory Dick-- Best of Gregory Dick.Feel free to school me on the relevance of any of these records.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Gregory Dick-- Best of Gregory Dick.

Feel free to school me on the relevance of any of these records.

Not "Dick Gregory," but "Gregory Dick"?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, you remember that series on LAFF where they
    did a spoof on black power? The covers were hilarious!

Actually, I just made that up. Wishful thinking.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ike & tina turner - cussin' cryin' and carryin' on (pompeii 1969)

so good.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Gregory Dick-- Best of Gregory Dick.

Feel free to school me on the relevance of any of these records.

right, Dick Gregory. It's on Tomato.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    took off work to run some errands today and after a road detour, hit the thrift on a whim.....

• here's some stuff from the past few days -- some charity shop stuff, a few cheapies from "beat goes on" and a nice little package from Brazil

the GAL COSTA and the MITON NASCIMENTO & LO BORGES are both melting my face off - -perfect albums - not a bad song on them!! as is the TIM ROSE - i bought it on the strength of his "hey joe" cover but the rest of the album is great too -- almost all tracks have bernard purdie on drums!! now i need to get "hey joe" on 7....
    dead disappointed with that RADIOPHONIC WORKSHOP record - i was expecting some fun moogy business but its totally boring!! i also picked up another copy of JAMES LAST "beach party 3" for the break - dont know why.
    the 7's are:
    CCS - "tap turns on the water" (never heard these two songs i dont think - both pretty fun with good drums)
    ROY "C" - "open letter to the president" (great song -"bargain" i thought at ??1 - but i didnt notice that it has the biggest, deepest scratch ive ever seen on a 45. tits.)
    LES CRANE - "a different drummer" (i thought this was gonna be the other track on the album with the better open drums - but its not!)
    THE HAPPENINGS - "i got rhythm"
    FOUR IMPS - "all or nothing" (wonky instro blues thing with good keyboard action)
    BLOODSTONE - "dumb dude"
    TINA SHAW & THE SEXUAL ATTRACTIONS - "sexual atttractions" (sexy monotone rap from a big haired woman)
    TODD RUNDGREN - "long flowing robe" (didnt know you could get this song on 45 - great tune)
    BELL BIV DEVOE - "poison" (sweet)
    HOT CHOCOLATE - "dont stop it now" (good drums- produced by mickie most)
    THE EQUALS - "baby come back"
    FASHION - "dreaming" (80's rubbish - but the sleeve has a painting of a sexy lady flicking herself off while thinking about a fish -- savage)