Ohio Players school me on their lps

LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
so i got fire wich is and skin tight but i got observations in time wich i guess was released as ohio untouchables and its not really good. i know honey but havent come around a physical copy yet. and i know funky worm so i guess i need pleasure aswell. anything else recommended?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

U want their Westbound stuff.

Pain Pleasure Ecstacy

The Mercury stuff - I stop at Contradiction but I secretly dig Mr. Mean.

AAAAaaaaaaaaaoooooooooOOOWWWWWW!!!!

• Options
    Ecstasy is my favorite song by far.
    Who produced that for Jay-Z?

From Reasonable Doubt - Biggie Duet?

• Options

From Reasonable Doubt - Biggie Duet?

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    clark kent did that one

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Premier also sampled far east mississippi for Jay-z too right?

I still need this foldout LP.

One of my favorite samples is that Players Ballin used by Scarface He's Dead from TWIYours.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Honey[/b] seems to be the one I find frequently around here at thrift stores. The quadraphonic mix (which is available as a DTS disc) has some extra elements which make it work listening to (such as added horns in "Love Rollercoaster" that weren't used in the regular LP mix. I made a quad>stereo MP3 somewhere, if I can find it I can up it if interested).

Anyone who discovers the Mercury stuff always goes back to what they did on Westbound and are generally shocked at what they did before. Observations In Time[/b] is different but similar to what The Parliaments were also doing at the time, if one has to make a comparison.

I made a quad>stereo MP3 somewhere, if I can find it I can up it if interested).

Yes pleez

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

I still need this foldout LP.

One of my favorite samples is that Players Ballin used by Scarface He's Dead from TWIYours.

wow. i have never seen or heard of that album. i see most of the other ones regularly but never pick them up....? anybody ride hard for this one?:

IMG src=http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/df/3d/7082_1.JPG>

i think its the only actual LP by them i own. i have both covers (other one has a Skull on it and its called "First Impressions"..i think its on Trip)

either way its got some great early stuff, but the bass is out of tune on almost the entire album!!! (has its charm though.)

other than that all i have is the Pain and Funky Worm 45s. i recommend both. haha

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    anybody ride hard for this one?:

i think its the only actual LP by them i own. i have both covers (other one has a Skull on it and its called "First Impressions"..i think its on Trip)

either way its got some great early stuff, but the bass is out of tune on almost the entire album!!! (has its charm though.)

Is this the album with "Trespassin'," "A Little Soul Party," "Sophisticated Alabama Soupbone," "Got To Hold On," "It's A Cryin' Shame," etc.? If so, really good album, originally recorded for Compass Records around '67 or '68 (but not released as a complete LP until the seventies). This has been repackaged many times in many ways, and the version I have is on United Artists - The Very Best Of The World Of Ohio Players. Even better, I like the fact that they made this LP visually consistent with their regular LP's, with the closeup of a woman's crotch. (Although I guess a drawing of a skull, like on the Trip LP, is about as "naked" as you can get.)

i got observations in time wich i guess was released as ohio untouchables and its not really good.

No, it actually WAS released under the Ohio Players name, and later reissued by Capitol as just The Ohio Players. I think it's pretty good as a straight soul album, myself, although if you're looking for the funk, that album ain't gonna get it. The comparison to early P-Funk (when they were known as the Parliaments and were essentially another soul harmony group) is fairly apt.

Now here's something that I know many won't agree with: I don't think the Pleasure album is all that hot. After "Funky Worm," there's not much else there. And naturally I like their funk stuff (the Mercury albums from their heyday are more consistent), but that LP doesn't do it for me. Haven't gotten the rest of their Westbound catalog yet, even though I have the singles of "Pain" and "Ecstasy."

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    anybody ride hard for this one?:

Is this the album with "Trespassin'," "A Little Soul Party," "Sophisticated Alabama Soupbone," "Got To Hold On," "It's A Cryin' Shame," etc.? If so, really good album, originally recorded for Compass Records around '67 or '68 (but not released as a complete LP until the seventies). This has been repackaged many times in many ways, and the version I have is on United Artists - The Very Best Of The World Of Ohio Players. Even better, I like the fact that they made this LP visually consistent with their regular LP's, with the closeup of a woman's crotch. (Although I guess a drawing of a skull, like on the Trip LP, is about as "naked" as you can get.)

yep, this is the one.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    observations in time

one of the best versions of "summertime". amazing and unique rendition.
    probably their hardest record to catch

the westbounds are absolutely essential.

• one of the best bands ever. I think they're easily taken for granted because their records are pretty common, but:

absolutely essential.

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    hm i guess ill have to revisit the observations in time album. yes i was expecting something totally different maybe thats the reason i didnt like it that much.

hm i guess ill have to revisit the observations in time album. yes i was expecting something totally different maybe thats the reason i didnt like it that much.

Yeah, any band that lasted as long as the Ohio Players never starts out the same way they wound up. (I see no one is big-upping their disco-era albums...or their various comebacks from the '80s and '90s...probably for good reason!)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    the westbounds are absolutely essential.

Big up Junie Morrison. I think he was a major force on the westbound material. And he was only 17 years old when he joined the group.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I made a quad>stereo MP3 somewhere, if I can find it I can up it if interested).

Yes pleez

No problem. Here it is:

DivShare File - Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster _quad m.mp3

(I tried to do the regular DivShare thing where you listen, but it's not working for me)

It's at 320kbps, so if you or anyone else wants to use it for whatever reason, there it is.

Yes pleez

No problem. Here it is:

DivShare File - Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster _quad m.mp3

(I tried to do the regular DivShare thing where you listen, but it's not working for me)

It's at 320kbps, so if you or anyone else wants to use it for whatever reason, there it is.

Thanx

I owe u a lapdance.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    They ever do a box set of the Westbound albums?

They ever do a box set of the Westbound albums?

Good fuckin idea!!!

I know Mercury put out a Deluxe Comp. It was alright but not tight.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Something like the Sly set from last year would be outstanding.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im pretty sure pleasure, pain, and ecstasy came out with bonus tracks last year.

I want outtakes and all that shit.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Where's the sheeet graemlin when you need one?
    I shall coppeth.

1. Pleasure
    2. Laid It
    3. Pride and Vanity
    4. Walt's First Trip
    5. Varee Is Love
    6. Walked Away from You
    7. Paint Me
    8. Funky Worm
    9. Our Love Has Died
    10. Ruffell Foot [*]
    11. What It Is [*]
    12. Rooster Poot [*]
    13. Gone Forever [*]
    14. Dimensions in Time [*]
    15. Introducing the Players [*]
    16. Satan's Boogie [*]

1. Pain [Mono Version]
    2. Never Had a Dream
    3. Players Balling (Players Doin' Their Own Thing)
    4. I Wanna Hear from You
    5. Reds
    6. Singing in the Morning
    7. Climax aka Theme from 69 [*]
    8. What's Going On? [Mono Version][*]
    9. Time and Space [Mono Version][#][*]
    10. Feelin' Alright [Mono Version][*]
    11. If You Were My Woman [Mono Version][#][*]
    12. Ain't That Loving You [Mono Version][*]
    13. Proud Mary [Mono Version][*]

1. Ecstasy
    2. You and Me
    3. Not So Sad and Lonely
    4. (I Wanna Know) Do You Feel It?
    5. Black Cat
    6. Food Stamps Y'all
    7. Spinning
    8. Sleep Talk
    9. Silly Billy
    10. Short Change
    11. Rattlesnake [*]
    12. Hustle Bird [*]
    13. Hollywood Hump [*]
    14. She Locked It [*]
    15. Trans-Maximus [#][*]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I really love "Here Today & Gone Tomorrow" on the
    Observations In Time LP ... is that the same song
    that Earth, Wind & Fire did?

Also a big fan of their Compass 45's like "It's a Crying Shame" etc ...
    I also have a female vocal track on Compass where she is backed by the OP.

I also have a female vocal track on Compass where she is backed by the OP.

Helena Ferguson's "Where Is The Party?"

Some badass fuzz guitar on that track. And then there's Helena herself, who kinda sounds like Spanky Wilson: "somebody tell meeee...whe-eh-eh-eh-ehhhh...where is the party?" Great record.