pimpfunk

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
I like the upskiboo description........
Its cool, uptempo pimpfunk(very soundtrack-ish), organ and wahwah over a funky bassline drums and conga........
............."superpeople" by the notations comes to mind.........let's list some other pimpfunk .

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It might not fall under the uptempo category...............BUT

Spacey Love ---- Rick James. Smooth smokersjacketpimpfunk.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    obvious choice would be "The Boss" by JB very pimpish in the lyrics department

6 O'Clock DJ----------Car Wash Soundtrack.

I Choose You----------THE MACK sdtk.

Leon Thomas version of "I wanna be where you are"....his rendition makes me think of a pimp brainwashing his lady.....

just take a look at that cover ....

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

You Scared the LOve.............Funkadelic

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Word, this gives me a chance to share a dope MP3 with y'all - a great (anti) Pimpfunk song, and one that I have made the argument to a few people as one of the first true "rap" songs (from 1970), based on the vocal duo style, and the cadence used, esp. by Gene Chandler, on this cover of James Spencer's "Ten and Two." I'm curious if people agree with me on the roots-of-rap thing, and it's just a dope track anyway, enjoy:

Gene & Jerry MP3

Its cool, uptempo pimpfunk(very soundtrack-ish), organ and wahwah over a funky bassline drums and conga................

That's probably the classic association, but I'm privy to the laidback,plushcar
    interior,penthouse fireplace pimpfunk..........like

It's Your Night/Words of Love..........Ohio Players

Word, this gives me a chance to share a dope MP3 with y'all - a great (anti) Pimpfunk song, and one that I have made the argument to a few people as one of the first true "rap" songs (from 1970), based on the vocal duo style, and the cadence used, esp. by Gene Chandler, on this cover of James Spencer's "Ten and Two." I'm curious if people agree with me on the roots-of-rap thing, and it's just a dope track anyway, enjoy:

Gene & Jerry MP3

thanks good track....being from 1970 it's sure one of the first track resembling rap style...

..although I always felt that the most "near to the modern rap" song was "The revolution will not be televised" for Heron "in one breath" style...

surely RATM and other "rap meets live intruments" band comes straight from there..

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Its cool, uptempo pimpfunk(very soundtrack-ish), organ and wahwah over a funky bassline drums and conga........

Sounds like some C.H.I.P.S.[/b]'s funk!

Sounds like some C.H.I.P.S.[/b]'s funk!

oh man that "bridge" is very pimpadelic .....

here is a link for your (guilty) listening pleasure

http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3E6SU8MGDVYUX04P6UVOATLNSS

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Chocolate Milk "Pretty Pimpin' Willie"
    Roy Ayers "King George"
    Rasputin's Stash "Mr. Cool"

Chocolate Milk "Pretty Pimpin' Willie"

Roy Ayers "King George"

Rasputin's Stash "Mr. Cool"

Edwin Starr ....."Big Papa"

not surprise since he was in the studio with fonce mizell and his "moustaches,red cap, flower shirt" superflyesque look

Handlebar moustaches are

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pimpfunk and gangsterfunk are definitely closely related!

Handlebar moustaches are

www.handlebarclub.org.uk

The ARP synthesizer is a pimp instrument and the clavinette a gangster instrument, but then again the ARP is also gangster and the clavi is kinda pimpy!!!

pimpin' handlebar moustaches

Handlebar moustaches are

LOL. What the fuck is going on here?

Whoa! I think I have to modify my statement:

Handlebar moustaches are when they are not attached to geeky white guys with a mullet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Bridget Fonda has about 20 seconds left to live in this photo...

And that is more of a "Dali" than a "Handlebar"!

The ARP synthesizer is a pimp instrument and the clavinette a gangster instrument, but then again the ARP is also gangster and the clavi is kinda pimpy I quess....!

name a song.......mmhhh.. like "Ain't That A Bitch" ~ Johnny "Guitar" Watson

The ARP synthesizer is a pimp instrument and the clavinette a gangster instrument, but then again the ARP is also gangster and the clavi is kinda pimpy!!!

Cant forget some good ol' horns.
    Then what about Hustler funk..........somethin' like Huster's Convention/Lightin'Rod. Smooth yet heavy.Early EW&F.

Miss Kane more gangsta than pimp!

Huster's Convention/Lightin'Rod.
    I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS !

Hustler's Convention/Lightin'Rod.
    I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS !
    OG or Reissue? Good luck on the OG.

Gangster horns, pimp flutes (and gangster flutes!)

Hustler's Convention/Lightin'Rod.

OG or Reissue? Good luck on the OG.

OH GEE !

Gambler's Life more gangsta than pimp!