Steely Dan: 2 Against Nature Appreciation

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
in the Grammy thread the other week some people mentioned that Herbie getting the best album of the year was analogous to steely dan winning a few years back in the sense that both awards were based more on a recognition veteran artists' past successes and a sort of overdue honour rather than on the strength of their respective releases. I have not heard the herbie, but i have been apreciating the hell out of 2 v N all week. after shunning and avoiding this album for years for fear of its potential likelihood for shittiness (late pass) i have been pleasantly surprised. imho its in league with their better stuff from the 70's. sort of a quasi concept album about strung out dirty old men. well, i guess all their stuff could be classed under that heading.who will ride for this album? Jack of Speed:2 v N:

Comments

• haven't heard the new joint but guessing its as good as anything they've done... i think i'll go buy it on my lunch, providing target has it in stock...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Jack of Speed, West of Hollywood, and Almost Gothic are the tracks I go back to the most on this album. It's a good set, but probably my least favorite in the SD catalog...kinda reminds me of Fagan's Kamakiriad LP sonically; maybe a bit TOO clean and sparse for its own good.

The follow-up to this one, Everything Must Go, is also worth investigating.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I celebrate their entire catalog apart from the shit ones.

The new ones are good. Godwhackers is class.