What’s Up with Dusty Groove

baggiobaggio 62 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
They got some great stuff but it seems lately everytime I order, I get stuck with vinyl thats in horrible condition, contradictory to the listed condition. Am I trippin or is anybody else going through this as well?

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    True dat...I had to return an LP last week (my very first time doing so with an online retailer, ever!) b/c the condition was listed as VG+ but was really VG-(generous) to G+(picky).

SG

• They're cool with returns though. I've received a some pretty warped records from them and they'll take them back. Turntable Lab won't take warped records back. At least that's what they told me.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    sucks

• Great...I just ordered an OG of something that was graded VG+ from DG. I hate getting a record in the mail that has been over graded. I like when people grade real conservatively. I'll post when I get it, shit should be here by tomorrow.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yo does anyone know how this is????????

EUGENE MCDANIELS/ ALAN SILVESTRI
    Mack (soundtrack, 2nd version)
    An obscure second soundtrack for The Mack -- one that's not nearly as well known as the classic Motown score by Willie Hutch! Our favorite tunes are the instrumental ones -- done in a really wicked sort of groove that mixes traditional blacksploitation scoring with some jazzier touches!

sounds like it could be

its ok, it was done in the 80's so it may appeal to you if you like that early 80's soul sound. 2 standout tracks from Eugene McDaniels "In the Beginning" (as heard o nthe L-Dula mixtape) and "Party Time" (my personal favorite)

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    a reissue that is hard to get rid of. i agree with the mack. plus, if a dude who calls himself the mack doesn't like it, it probably means it is shit.

right??

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah i took my name from the original, not that travesty

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The only thing I hate about DG is they never have anything in stock.
    I end up with shit I barely want just to get one record and justify the shipping.

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in. [/b]

Temporarily Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in. [/b]

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    They got some great stuff but it seems lately everytime I order, I get stuck with vinyl thats in horrible condition, contradictory to the listed condition. Am I trippin or is anybody else going through this as well?

Yes - a few times. They do not really know how to grade.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Their used stuff is always suspect. But they are really cool about returns. The funny thing is they will just drop the price a couple bucks and re-post it once you send it back.

As far as the out of stock. That's just cuz they keep everything they've ever had on their site. Just like Craig Moer. Doesn't mean they are bad I think it's just easier than re-entering everything everytime they get a shippment. Plus, it let's people know they kind of stuff they do get in. Better than the places that don't keep things updated and you order only to get the box with a note saying half of it was out of stock.

• baggiobaggio 62 Posts
    They are great with returns - I'll give them that much. But I don't get what they just don't post the description accurately in the first place; it would save them time and cash in the long run for having me return the record and cover shipping costs back to me.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

hmm i wouldn't say they do not know how to grade, i think its more of their business trick ? i.e. multiple copies of stuff and ending up shipping you the worst copy they have, especially for overseas orders.

i also notice they have a lot hot stuff in Mint or VG+ but they're all fault pressings, like wrong spellings on labels etc.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

hmm i wouldn't say they do not know how to grade, i think its more of their business trick ? i.e. multiple copies of stuff and ending up shipping you the worst copy they have, especially for overseas orders.

i also notice they have a lot hot stuff in Mint or VG+ but they're all fault pressings, like wrong spellings on labels etc.

My experience from years ago was that their grading was consistent. I learned to never buy anything graded below NM, with the expectation that I would be giving it a lower grade. As long as you know that their VG+ is your G+ you can procede accordingly.

Dan

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    I bought the Tempests on Smash LP from them a week ago. Condition was listed as VG+. Cover was on the VG side with some ring and wear on th edges, but the album was a great VG++ with very little wear, just a crapload of dust. $24.99 was a good deal for me on this one.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

My experience from years ago was that their grading was consistent. I learned to never buy anything graded below NM, with the expectation that I would be giving it a lower grade. As long as you know that their VG+ is your G+ you can procede accordingly.

Dan

That's tue, but shouldn't they know better? They are in the record business. That's a pretty large descrepancy. I think they are losing business off of it. I only ordered 2 used records from them and descided it wan't worth the trouble. On the other hand their are other dealers I've bought hundrends of records from because I know exactly what I'm getting by their discription and price. (your one of them)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Dan

That's tue, but shouldn't they know better? They are in the record business. That's a pretty large descrepancy.
    Here is their description of their grading policy. Sounds to me from what people are saying they are falling short.

I think they are losing business off of it. I only ordered 2 used records from them and descided it wan't worth the trouble. On the other hand their are other dealers I've bought hundrends of records from because I know exactly what I'm getting by their discription and price. (your one of them)

I appreciate it. I try to be strict in my grading. Since the buyer does not see the record till they open the package I know expectations run high.

Still I think it is legitimate for DG or someone else to say; these are our standards. They might not mesh with Goldmine. My own standards differ from Goldmine and were influenced by Craig Moerer I think, though they differ from his as well. Once stated it is important to try to stick to them, or else people are disappointed and don't buy from you again. It can be hard. Say you pick up a copy of Things We Like, you pay a pretty penny, but you think you can get more. Take it home and notice a scratch, or hear a flaw. It is hard to grade it a G knowing you wont be able to get your money back. That's life in the record world.

Dan

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Aren't their used records way over priced? Like Deodato 'Prelude' for 10 bucks and shit.

i can't believe i'm sticking up for dusty groove but that record is not as plentiful in parts of the world. i used to slang it for 6 bucks all the time.

i've had major problems with them over the years and now i don't even check there website anymore let alone buy anthing from them other than a needle for my portable a couple years ago.

back in the days though they used to have some crazy stuff.

rubaiyate for 18 bucks, billy brooks for 15, les demerle for 15, etc etc.

now they only have reissues and vg- james brown records for 22 bucks.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

As far as the out of stock. That's just cuz they keep everything they've ever had on their site. Just like Craig Moer. Doesn't mean they are bad I think it's just easier than re-entering everything everytime they get a shippment. Plus, it let's people know they kind of stuff they do get in. Better than the places that don't keep things updated and you order only to get the box with a note saying half of it was out of stock.

very true, but yet and still...

[grudge] fuck dustygroove [/grudge]

• ...Turntable Lab won't take warped records back. At least that's what they told me.

Turntable Lab definately don't take warped records back. They send you a nice note telling you to try unwarping it by bending it away from the warp. With the amount they charge for shipping, AND with only stocking new records, it sure would be nice of them to take returns. Oh well...

-Josh "Nice" Weiss
    On The Corner - Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop/Reggae/Jazz
    Every Saturday on KUSP
    8pm-10pm PST

• ...Turntable Lab won't take warped records back. At least that's what they told me.

Turntable Lab definately don't take warped records back. They send you a nice note telling you to try unwarping it by bending it away from the warp.

Ha ha ha. Bend it away from the warp?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Turntable Lab definately don't take warped records back. They send you a nice note telling you to try unwarping it by bending it away from the warp

"Well, Mrs. Li, I'm afraid it's serious. You have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. But, maybe if you quit smoking right now, it will go away!"[/b]

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ...Turntable Lab won't take warped records back. At least that's what they told me.

they're even bitchy about doing this in person... i bought the gravediggaz reissue off them and it had skips in "bang your head" and "2 cups of blood", which were the two songs i bought the record for (well, and "trippin'"). they took it back, but gave me hipster record store attitude about it...

as for Dusty Groove, i've never bought a used piece for more than 5 bucks there (i tend to only buy cheap 7"s to fill out my order), and if anything, they were graded on the safe side... you CAN find some deals there if you scour the website, but in general their prices are too high (but, i'm REALLY cheap...). that said, if there was a site with a better selection of reissues sold as cheap as Dusty Groove sells 'em, i'd go there... they have dope shit (UK imports mostly), you just don't see anywhere else...

• last week they had a copy of ramp - come into knowledge graded g- for 40 bucks$ looked alot like this:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am a little confused as to why people are trying to return warped (new and sealed) records.

99% of new records are warped. If the record is sealed, how is ttlab supposed to know it's warped?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I am a little confused as to why people are trying to return warped (new and sealed) records.

99% of new records are warped. If the record is sealed, how is ttlab supposed to know it's warped?

I dont know all the business ends of it. BUt, there is a local place that will take back NEW records that are warped. I know he sends them back to the distributer. Is that something that anyone can do?

I only have had to return 2 records because they were warped really bad, small warps are common and you have to live with.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I dont know all the business ends of it. BUt, there is a local place that will take back NEW records that are warped. I know he sends them back to the distributer. Is that something that anyone can do?

JP is right about a lot of new records being warped - some re-issues are more warped than others & when shit is really bad, the local shops will take them back & pass you another copy. I know they send them back to the distributer. I guess they don't press them like they used to?

h

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Agreed... when you're receiving records in the mail, you can expect that sh!t to have a slight wave most of the time... if it skips you need to return it though

Sometimes the Scorpios will be BADLY warped on the racks at your local though... its either during shipment or maybe too many windows in the warehouse?? dunno...