"WORLD'S GREATEST MUSIC COLLECTION!" ebay-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Has this already been posted?http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Greatest-...1QQcmdZViewItemAnd also see: http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com/I don't see how selling this on eBay is going to meet some of their requirements for a "suitable home":
The History of American music belongs in a museum or a library; a place where people who love music and have an interest in history and popular American culture can look, listen, touch, read and appreciate this legacy for future generations. It could be part of a stand-alone music museum, a major exhibit in an existing museum, or the basis of a university music library. Cleverly arranged and displayed, and surrounded by additional cultural memorabilia, the collection could even become a tourist attraction. We???re seeking a buyer who will guarantee to keep the collection intact (other than to sell duplicate copies, if so desired) and to keep the music alive for the enjoyment and music lovers, now and for years to come. If you represent a museum, library, university, or charitable foundation, or you???re a philanthropist interested in purchasing the collection and donating it, please contact the owner???s representatives for more information, pricing and a personal on-site inspection.

Comments

• Q: I am simply interested in 'Here comes the Hot Stepper' by Ini Kamoze. Would you be able to separate this classic from the collection and sell it...more Feb-19-08
    A: Sorry. NOTHING will be removed from the collection.
    Q: Do you have anyone in technichal support that can tell me if I could fit all of these songs on to my 30GB Ipod Video. Feb-19-08
    A: You're joking, right? The collection would melt it.

HAHAHAHAHA!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Q: I am simply interested in 'Here comes the Hot Stepper' by Ini Kamoze. Would you be able to separate this classic from the collection and sell it...more Feb-19-08
    Q: Do you have anyone in technichal support that can tell me if I could fit all of these songs on to my 30GB Ipod Video. Feb-19-08
    A: You're joking, right? The collection would melt it.

HAHAHAHAHA!

• dont miss out. this could be you.

• i'll bet they dont have 80% of the records in djsheeps midweek finds post

and i'll wager dollars to donuts that they dont have most of the random rap i'm looking for

• that dude looks like mark colby

• The whole story from the pittsburgh biz times

I live 5 minutes from this place. It's totally depressing. The dude is sitting on all that music, but when you go into the store a TV is usually blaring or he has a neu-country station tuned on the radio.

• bet he doesnt have 24 karat black

• this is the worst kind of collector there is - the guy who collects just to "collect"

i dont know this guy's backstory, but something tells me that hes more about accumulating "records" than "music," if you get my drift.

• He does have 1,000 copies of this that he sells for 8 bucks a pop. No shiting!

• dude needs some bigger icons.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    i'll wager dollars to donuts that they dont have most of the random rap i'm looking for

Heads know that Obscure Addict has that genre on lockdown.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

dude needs some bigger icons.

He should get that ATI program, so he could have one icon per monitor.

• Q: I am simply interested in 'Here comes the Hot Stepper' by Ini Kamoze. Would you be able to separate this classic from the collection and sell it...more Feb-19-08

This is so Frickin' funny.

• dude needs some bigger icons.

He's legally blind, which probably explains why his icons are so large.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Q: I am simply interested in 'Here comes the Hot Stepper' by Ini Kamoze. Would you be able to separate this classic from the collection and sell it...more Feb-19-08

This is so Frickin' funny.

It might actually be the funniest thing I've ever read. Just thinking about his grumpy face as he angrily answers that question... priceless. It does seem like the easiest way to obtain that elusive raer though. MURDARAH!

• Condition issues?

"Paul Mawhinney bought his first record sixty years ago. It was a Frankie Lane song. He played it 'til the grooves were gone."

Buyer beware . . .

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    bet he doesnt have more than 4 bands that start with Q

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Does this guy's store really sell $500,000 of music in 2007?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    this is the worst kind of collector there is - the guy who collects just to "collect"

i dont know this guy's backstory, but something tells me that hes more about accumulating "records" than "music," if you get my drift.

I mean, I don't know this dude, so I can't say anything about him personally, but can we please get a Becky/Chad style name for the collectro who's like "Blahblah collectible blah book value" but then when you ask them if some record's any *good* they just look at you mutely with this astounded look of incomprehension?

How about Rusty?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    this is the worst kind of collector there is - the guy who collects just to "collect"

I mean, I don't know this dude, so I can't say anything about him personally, but can we please get a Becky/Chad style name for the collectro who's like "Blahblah collectible blah book value" but then when you ask them if some record's any *good* they just look at you mutely with this astounded look of incomprehension?

How about Rusty?

I like it. Or "Stan," or something like that.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

How about Rusty?

I like it. Or "Stan," or something like that.

how about dickhead

• Ugh. not this guy again.

The way this place has worked for buying is that he only sells you something if they have two copies, they bring out the worst graded one, book it as mint and then add about 50 percent to that.

Their new pricing structure (I was in there when home for the holidays) works on the one previously mentioned but add a dollar per year that goes buy no matter what the title. So you want a copy of "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz, arguably easily found for a quarter, he will charge you 15-20 for it, then add 38 dollars because it was made in 1970.

My friend has a ball with the 78s because he thinks theyre worthless, but otherwise I dont even bother going in there anymore. I saw him take this nice woman who wanted beatles albums for her husband for xmas, charged her 200 for a copy of revolver and beach boys endless summer.

• Ugh. not this guy again.

The way this place has worked for buying is that he only sells you something if they have two copies, they bring out the worst graded one, book it as mint and then add about 50 percent to that.

Their new pricing structure (I was in there when home for the holidays) works on the one previously mentioned but add a dollar per year that goes buy no matter what the title. So you want a copy of "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz, arguably easily found for a quarter, he will charge you 15-20 for it, then add 38 dollars because it was made in 1970.

My friend has a ball with the 78s because he thinks theyre worthless, but otherwise I dont even bother going in there anymore. I saw him take this nice woman who wanted beatles albums for her husband for xmas, charged her 200 for a copy of revolver and beach boys endless summer.

When my record collector friends wonder why I'm so cheap when it comes to buying records, I usually say its' because of dealers like THIS.

It's one thing if someone is charging you a lot of $$$ for records that are obviously rare, but when you get the types that charge high prices because the records are OLD...that's maaaaaaaad

• Is anyone listening to all things considered right now?

"Next, after we talk about fidel castro's retirement, a large collection of music goes up for sale on ebay."

rediculous

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

haha! Are you serious? This is one of the most totally absurd things I've ever heard.

• Their new pricing structure (I was in there when home for the holidays) works on the one previously mentioned but add a dollar per year that goes buy no matter what the title. So you want a copy of "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz, arguably easily found for a quarter, he will charge you 15-20 for it, then add 38 dollars because it was made in 1970.

haha! Are you serious? This is one of the most totally absurd things I've ever heard.

unfortunately yes. This guy deals in primarily in absurdity.

People know quantity does not mean quality, and in this case Id say one of the general rules of record collecting stands, 99 percent of what you look through is generally going to be crap, especially when buying from someone who obviously isnt into the music that goes for dollars these days. is the reallly amazing 1 percent of this guys stock worth more than 3 mil plus the time and effort to deal with that much stuff. most non-profit museums dont have the scratch or know better.

Plus

People have been buying the doubles that he will part with of any record worth paying alot of money for for years which probably reduced the "rare recording" factor considerably.

you do however gain the rights to the polka king record label.

• Is anyone listening to all things considered right now?

"Next, after we talk about fidel castro's retirement, a large collection of music goes up for sale on ebay."

rediculous

ugh, npr right now. He has a yinzer accent like my grandma.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Is anyone listening to all things considered right now?

rediculous

ugh, npr right now.

You listening to The World?

• all things considered

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    They'll have audio up in a couple of hours:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19174564