Movie-strut reccomendations

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I want to hear about some great films on the strength of strutters reccomendations. I'm wondering if there's anything anybody wants to reccomend. I'll jump it off:The Great World of Sound Just caught this movie with a friend, and this movie was BRUTAL to watch. It was very predictable, but watching it was rough. You feel bad for the employees, you feel bad for the musicians, and the whole situation. There were moments when you get that gut feeling that something is wrong, and your most likely right. It's one of those movies were you get emotionally invested, and angry and you're not quite sure why. It really felt like every shitty telemarketing job I've had, and I swear I was right there with them.7.5/10Tekkon Kinkreet This is an anime I recently watched online done by the dudes who did the Animatrix. The story was kind of lacking, but I was blown away by how Ill the visual style was, and I'm not an anime fan in the least. The whole sequence where Black is dealing with the darkness corrupting him was awesome. I really hope they get a sequel for this one, and explore that further. 7/10The Man from EarthAn old friend reccomended I watch this one, and I'm glad he did. It was written by Jerome Bixby (Star trek, Twilight Zone) on his deathbed, but was conceived in the 60's. The premise is, "At his farewell bash in a cabin in the remote woods, Professor John Oldman (David Lee Smith) makes a shocking confession to his fellow scholars: he is actually an immortal who has been living on earth for the past 14,000 years."The acting wasn't that great, but I thought the premise was ILL. Story was a lil convaluted at the end, but overall was fun. 7/10- spidey

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Lohan is beautiful.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn, didn't take long for this to derail. I'm still interested in some reccomendations.

- spidey

• i recently sat here in front of youtube with my dude, m*d and we watched boulevard nights in 6 separate installments and the dude hadnt seen it in like 20 years and he still knew every word "come on holmes, ur turning into a big chavala". its an ok movie made even better by the awesome shots of east la and old whittier blvd. plus, a japanese dude wrote it! plus the added commentary of my hammie trying to act out each scene. classic!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Damn, didn't take long for this to derail. I'm still interested in some reccomendations.

- spidey

There a mad movie called UNKNOWN which I saw the other day.

• Lohan is beautiful.

she's cute but I came away from Mean Girls with a stronger desire to blap the Party of Five one. I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense. it just is.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There a mad movie called UNKNOWN which I saw the other day.

The one with dude who played Jesus in passion of the christ?

How was it?

- spidey

• last five i watched w/ bonus subjective rating:

confessions of a superhero (doc): life always stranger than fiction, 7.5

trials of daryll hunt (doc): its no news that the justice system in some southern states has a racist bias, but seeing the ins and outs of one case followed over 13 years really hits home. 8.5

margot at the wedding: noah baumbach doesnt deliver in this disapointing follow up to his brilliant the squid and the whale. 5

michael clayton: when clooney is good, he's really good. 8

lars and the real girl: small tragic comedy w/ its heart in the right place. 7.5

• probably the best movie I saw last year - make sure you get the UK 70's original, the 'cover' might differ a bit from that pictured - Christopher Lee is your man though
    A gripping pagan thriller ..

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Saw Gone Baby Gone[/b] last night, and man, it was really good. Five stars out of five good. I am a little biased, since I have a soft spot for locally-based films, but this would be five stars no matter where it was set. Who knew Ben Affleck could direct? And the writing...well, let's just say I always assumed Matt Damon carried most of the weight on Good Will Hunting.

Also recently enjoyed:

Colossus???The Forbin Project[/b] (4 stars)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 1 & 2[/b] (5 stars)
    The Tao of Steve[/b] (4 stars)
    The United States of Leland[/b] (4 stars)

And Mystery Train[/b] is good if you're a Jim Jarmusch fan. I'm not a huge fan of his pacing (too many protracted scenes full of long pauses between actions and dialogue), but enjoyable nonetheless. Bonus points for featuring Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Joe Strummer, with a cameo by Rufus Thomas.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I feel like I'm repeating myself since we have so many of these threads.

The Devils
    ms.45
    The Son
    Clash by Night - almost anything with Barbara Stanwyck in it up to the mid-60s
    My Darling Clementine
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - has same atmosphere of No Country for Old Men (with Tommy Lee Jones too!)
    My Fair Lady
    anything by Ousmane Sembene

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - has same atmosphere of No Country for Old Men (with Tommy Lee Jones too!)

YES.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 1 & 2[/b] (5 stars)

I know it ain't a movie, but damn if this isn't about the funniest, most re-watchable TV comedy series ever. I pray that Season 3 comes to DVD soon, or FX at least runs the season again. I preach this to everyone I know, shit is great.

• The Great World of Sound

I was just looking at this at the video store yesterday. I'll have to grab it.

Recently, I've just been rewatching a lot of the classics ... Coen Brothers, Jarmusch, Lynch, etc. Not much to recommend that folks don't already know.

However, I will suggest avoiding that Christian Slater flick "He Was A Quiet Man". They tried too damn hard to make it artsy and clever (fish in his apartment talking related) and it just ended up awkward and unsatisfying.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

However, I will suggest avoiding that Christian Slater flick "He Was A Quiet Man". They tried too damn hard to make it artsy and clever (fish in his apartment talking related) and it just ended up awkward and unsatisfying.
    i think this will be an easy one to avoid, sounds like a sad version of "the eel".

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

One of my favorite movies. Perhaps even #1.

It's kind of hard to describe it. There no plot to speak of. It's more like a long sequence of absurd scenes from a nameless city in the last days before the end of civilisation. I know that hardly sounds like a recommendation, but it really is great.

Every scene is shot with a static camera which gives it a slow, meditative feel that I love. It's pretty surrealistic, yet it still sucks you in without thinking "wow, this is artsy". It's one of those movies you can watch again and again, noticing new subtleties every time. And it's very funny(sad).

Please to disregard the stupid SF Guardian quote on that US version of the poster. I don't know what the hell that reviewer was thinking, but he missed the point. Tried to find a neutral poster, but alas this was the one that kept popping up.

One of my favorite movies. Perhaps even #1.

Stepping Razor Red X?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Stepping Razor Red X?

Damn, imdb photo link glitch. Fixed it now (hopefully).

• One of my favorite movies. Perhaps even #1.

I fully endorse this statement - moving, bizarre and beautiful. watch it!

Yup, it's fixed and dude. This film.
    I can be OK with nothing happening in a film, but I really wanted...NEEDED something - anything - to happen in Second Floor. Maybe because I watched it on TV all the atmosphere escaped me?

Oh yea, I'd like to add

Fat Girl
    Chop Shop
    Sexy Beast

to my list.

• probably the best movie I saw last year - make sure you get the UK 70's original, the 'cover' might differ a bit from that pictured - Christopher Lee is your man though
    A gripping pagan thriller ..

We just watched this a few nights ago, its great. There is a pointless remake that looks pretty crappy and should probably be avoided.
    Here are some of the best movies we have watched from our Netflix returns over the past year:

• HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• YES.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Saw Gone Baby Gone[/b] last night, and man, it was really good. Five stars out of five good. I am a little biased, since I have a soft spot for locally-based films, but this would be five stars no matter where it was set. Who knew Ben Affleck could direct? And the writing...well, let's just say I always assumed Matt Damon carried most of the weight on Good Will Hunting.

Yeah. Good movie. I'm guessing most will hear Ben's name and not bother. But it was pretty well done.

• HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

steve wiebe is my hero

ok, so i rented a movie called "reign of fire" last night which was actually pretty dang good. it looked really bad which is why i rented it. it opens with a dragon bukake scene.

oh, and here's part 1 of a six part layout of boulevard nights. one of the nicest opening scenes a la welles "touch of evil"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    With a Friend Like Harry is cool, although I was absolutely blown away by the director's next film, Lemming.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

YES.

One of my favourite movies of all time, so achingly beautiful both visually and story wise. The 'sequel' 2046 is worth watching as well for anyone who loves ITMFL - pretty much a mess as far as plot is concerned but still boasts gorgeous visuals.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    on...

Didn't care for A Scanner Darkly much... guess I went in with too-high hopes.

Also loved Bassie's picks of Fat Girl and Chop Shop, as well as Songs on the Second Floor.

• With a Friend Like Harry is cool, although I was absolutely blown away by the director's next film, Lemming.

this is in my queue, maybe I will bump it up.