Funk Spectrum 4 on bbe?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
I remember this being pushed as something about to drop imminently a few years ago, with Cut Chemist splitting the selections w/ Keb. Even Keb was talking about it, but then it just never came out. I heard rumours of L#$cas not getting paid...........so what really went down?It certainly would've been better than pete rock or rza's selections.

Comments

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    I got both RZA's and Pete Rock's... lame. BBE records was on some other stuff when they made those compilations.

• Funk Spectrum 4 got as far as being promo'd on cdr w/out a tracklisting. I don't know why it never saw a proper release, but it might have something to do with the fact that BBE was goin'trough a rough patch around that time.

BTW: co-sign on the weakness of the Darge / RZA comp; there's nothing wrong with the tracklisting pers??, but a more indepth selection would've been appropriate!

• I remember this being pushed as something about to drop imminently a few years ago, with Cut Chemist splitting the selections w/ Keb. Even Keb was talking about it, but then it just never came out. I heard rumours of L#$cas not getting paid...........so what really went down?

It certainly would've been better than pete rock or rza's selections.

Cut Chemist never knew about it, signed off on it, etc.. the one sheets were distibuted announcing the project and at that point i think lawyers got involved.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I had the promo cd of this, but it is currently missing.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I had the promo cd of this, but it is currently missing.

shit....i don't have it..but i'd like to

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    If my memory serves me right it got pulled because Mr. Macfadden didn't get to know about this until he was supposed to put his name on it and also because bbe were getting under a lot of pressure as all the Funk Spectrums were basically bootlegs.

The cover was going to be:

The track listing was going to be:

1. Tra La La
    2. Funky So-&-So - Sugarman 3
    3. Cold Heat
    4. Stick Man
    5. Nervous (7"Version)
    6. Trying to Make Ends Meet - Los Apaches
    7. Black Water
    8. Getting Off On Your Love
    9. Feel The Funk - Horizon
    10. Skins Funk
    11. Herm
    12. Brothers & Sisters
    13. Mercy

I think the old Funk45 / Deep Funk board once attached the artist names to this list but I can't remember them all.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I really like/am intrigued by the photos that are used on those comps. Anyone know the science on them?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I got both RZA's and Pete Rock's... lame. BBE records was on some other stuff when they made those compilations.

no one's going to back up pete?
    how can you hate on his selections!

1. BB King - Chains and Things
    2. Betty Lavette - Let Me Down Easy
    3. Brad Medicine - Trespasser (Part I)
    4. Grand Funk Railroad - Nothings the Same
    5. Lou Courtney - Hey Joyce
    6. Cresa Watson - Dead

7. Mutt and Jeffo - Soul L-O-V-E-R
    8. Onyx - Break it Loose (Part II)
    9. Vickie Anderson (Momie-O) - You're Welcome, Stop On By
    10. Big John Hamilton - Big Bad John
    11. The Stark Reality - Prelude to Say Brother
    12. Lee Dorsey - A Lover Was Born

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Fao Monty Stark, address tbc

From Lee Bright , Audioactive Ltd t/a Po Box 25896, London N5 1XH United Kingdom

Date 11 December, 2002

HEADS OF AGREEMENT

Artist : The Stark Reality Title : Prelude to Say Brother

TITLE OF PROJECT: Funk Spectrum III compiled by K Darge & P Rock
    PROPOSED RELEASE DATE Released
    FORMATS: CD & double Vinyl
    TYPE OF SALE: FULL PRICE
    DEALER PRICE: ??8.55
    TOTAL NO. OF TRACKS ON ALBUM: 22
    TERM 10 Years + 6 month sell off
    TERRITORY: WORLD

ONE OFF BUY OUT $1500
    ROYALTY none
    DISTRIBUTOR/ MANUFACTURER: 4am / Flute

MARKETING PLANS: RADIO & MAGAZINE ADVERTISING,
    CLUB PROMOTIONS, FLYPOSTING,
    POSTCARDS, T-SHIRTS...

For & on behalf BBE

sign print date

For & on behalf of Monty Stark

sign print date

Monty
    my sincere apologies that we have not paid you as yet. I do not want to go
    into a long sob story of our cash flow issues (& i am sure you do not wish
    to hear them), which mainly stem from on-going problems with the UK based
    publishing royalties collection house (MCPS-they have the power to close
    labels down). We are doing absolutely everything in our power to bring the
    company through this difficult time. I sincerely hope that in the not too
    distant future i will be able to send your money in full.

My best regards

Lee Bright
    BBE Co Secretary

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Date 11 December, 2002

they pay you yet? I'm sure they've sold enough copies to drop a $1,500 check your way.

Don't believe them sob stories

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Fao Monty Stark, address tbc

From Lee Bright , Audioactive Ltd t/a Po Box 25896, London N5 1XH United Kingdom

Date 11 December, 2002

HEADS OF AGREEMENT

Artist : The Stark Reality Title : Prelude to Say Brother

TITLE OF PROJECT: Funk Spectrum III compiled by K Darge & P Rock
    PROPOSED RELEASE DATE Released
    FORMATS: CD & double Vinyl
    TYPE OF SALE: FULL PRICE
    DEALER PRICE: ??8.55
    TOTAL NO. OF TRACKS ON ALBUM: 22
    TERM 10 Years + 6 month sell off
    TERRITORY: WORLD

ONE OFF BUY OUT $1500
    ROYALTY none
    DISTRIBUTOR/ MANUFACTURER: 4am / Flute

MARKETING PLANS: RADIO & MAGAZINE ADVERTISING,
    CLUB PROMOTIONS, FLYPOSTING,
    POSTCARDS, T-SHIRTS...

For & on behalf BBE

sign print date

For & on behalf of Monty Stark

sign print date

Monty
    my sincere apologies that we have not paid you as yet. I do not want to go
    into a long sob story of our cash flow issues (& i am sure you do not wish
    to hear them), which mainly stem from on-going problems with the UK based
    publishing royalties collection house (MCPS-they have the power to close
    labels down). We are doing absolutely everything in our power to bring the
    company through this difficult time. I sincerely hope that in the not too
    distant future i will be able to send your money in full.

My best regards

Lee Bright
    BBE Co Secretary

blah

I HATE that shit.

I've been waiting 8 years for David Paul to pay me.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    they pay you yet? I'm sure they've sold enough copies to drop a $1,500 check your way.

blah

I HATE that shit.

forgot about it until i saw this thread.... it does piss me off, though.... i, too, HATE that shit, but what are you going to do?

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

blah

I HATE that shit.

forgot about it until i saw this thread.... it does piss me off, though.... i, too, HATE that shit, but what are you going to do?

good attitude.

i once helped an architect design his own house. wound up building a model for him, even bought the materials for the model. we kept making changes to the model, and i was to naive to bill him on a regular basis. near the end we made a few minor adjustments to the design and i went home to fix the model. when i called him the next week to give him the model and get my check he didnt answer the phone. i called again and still no answer. i went by the house and nobody answered the door. went by a month later and his wife answered said he wasn't home, i told her that i was trying to hand off the model and get paid for my work and to let him know. never got a call. went back again and no answer. i knew where the new house was being built and i could have gone there and harrassed him but at some point you have to cut your losses, the time you spend chasing the money costs you money too. learned my lesson, and learned never to treat anyone the way i was treated, so in a way i got paid too.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    learned my lesson, and learned never to treat anyone the way i was treated, so in a way i got paid too.

you are awesome

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i, too, HATE that shit, but what are you going to do?

Take legal action

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    probably cost him 2g's just to have a lawyer pick up the phone.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    i, too, HATE that shit, but what are you going to do?

Take legal action
    me: there's this record company over in England called "bbe" that owes me $1500
    lawyer: bbe?
    me: yeah, an acronym for "barely breaking even"
    lawyer: hahahahaha

• M1NYAM1NYA 18 Posts
    Mr. Starks,

Long time lurker on this forum, and big fan of the Stark Reality LP. I never post, but just wanted to throw my two cents in here and say you attitude is extremely refreshing in our current ligtigous society. Black Eyed Peas.... BBE...... shit.

Hopefully it will all work out in the end for you and yours. Again, thanks a ton for such a cool album.

"Jack has my compass, and I have his knife..."

Respectfully,

MINYA

• Monty,

They must have money as they sub-licensed a record from me recently and it all went to plan although they do now work with another company K7 in germany. They were having problems at that time so it may just have "slipped their mind" now they have some cash flow. If you want their contact details email me: [email]euan@motherfunk.org[/email] or check the phone number on the new "kings of funk" compilation. Does someone here have the cd? The contact info for artists to get their due royalties is in the sleeve notes.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Mr. Starks,

Long time lurker on this forum, and big fan of the Stark Reality LP. I never post, but just wanted to throw my two cents in here and say you attitude is extremely refreshing in our current ligtigous society. Black Eyed Peas.... BBE...... shit.

Hopefully it will all work out in the end for you and yours. Again, thanks a ton for such a cool album.

"Jack has my compass, and I have his knife..."

Respectfully,

MINYA

I dont know whats so refreshing about an O.G. artist not getting paid for his music.

SOMEBODY PAY MONTY!!!

p.s. that thing with bbe and the lawyer was hilarious.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    SOMEBODY PAY MONTY!!!
    yo - thanks, i just heard from Peter Adarkwah, "things are a little on the mend so we will aim
    to resolve this before the end of this year. again thanks for your patience."

cool?

so

check it out

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    what does that cover have anything to do with anything, much less funk?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Maybe you have to be British to understand it? Cause it sure makes no sense to me - at least, it looks more like a King Crimson album cover than a Funk comp...

• what does that cover have anything to do with anything, much less funk?

Maybe you have to be British to understand it? Cause it sure makes no sense to me - at least, it looks more like a King Crimson album cover than a Funk comp...

i like the bbe covers...

especially this one:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I don't think its just a "British thing."

Look at the details in those photos!!!

They are composed extremely well. Those photos have tons of stylized minutiae that reflect another era in fashion and atmosphere. They are busy but extraordinary, a rarity in our minimalist day and age.

ME GUSTA.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

dude....you want a bunch of fuckers with afro-wigs and leisure suits on or something? Geez..

those photographs rule. I remember Ayres posted a link to the dude who does those photos.

P.S. The DJ Premier and Mr. Thing BBE Comp was ass [/b]. Can these heavyweight producer dudes actually make a comp with some actual teeth? I'm sayin' though...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

You and every other artist on those labels, myself included.
    What's interesting is that his comp LPs are now in the Apple iTunes store, meaning people are buying our tracks.
    I for one only licensed my songs to DP so he doesn't own any part of them. Will I see money from this? Reason tells me no...

• Options

How did Drew Carey get in there?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dude....you want a bunch of fuckers with afro-wigs and leisure suits on or something? Geez..

ummm...no...I don't want "fuckers with afro-wigs." Maybe I'm being a little close-minded about it, I'll admit, but even though I appreciate the artistic quality of the covers, they just don't seem to fit on the front of funk compilations. Just my opinion. "Geez.."

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

How did Drew Carey get in there?

and why is he talking to Nate Bizzo? Is this a Burton after-party???!!??