This has gotta be a fake letter right? (ebay r)

kwalitykwality 620 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
So I opened my inbox this morning to find this -Dear eBay Member, This is your official notification from eBay. Your online has expired. If you want to continue using our service you have to renew your online.If not, your online will be limited and deletedTo continue click here and complete the renew form with your current information. Thank you,Scott R. Shipman, CIPP Senior Counsel, Global Privacy Practices eBay Inc.Given that it says my 'online' has expired, it's pretty safe to assume it's a fake right? It has a link but I'm wary of following it. Anyone else got something similar? I'm annoyed 'cause I was just starting to enjoy using it again.

Comments

• it's fake.

It says "dear ebay member." That's like saying "dear human with a computer." It's obviously not directed at you personally and it's spam.

• Your online has expired

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    it's fake.

It says "dear ebay member." That's like saying "dear human with a computer." It's obviously not directed at you personally and it's spam.

Really? I don't know. I'd hate for his online to be limited and deleted just because he didn't fill out his renew form.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Your online has expired

first one with a gremlin wins!

• you can also tell they are fake if they ask you to click a link and then the link ends up being something totally random.

If they ever ask you to sign in it will always be https: too. the s is very important.

sad thing is that some people who joined ebay to get their grandson billy an old baseball card will end up falling for this.

"oh no, my online has expired."

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

---------------

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Dammit sheep, I was just about to make it my location! I think I'll just add it to my vernacular and delete the letter.

I'll blame SS if my online gets expired though!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Your online has expired

That's like an unintentional "you dropped your pocket."