IT IS BOWIE NOT BOWIE YOU NONCE

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
You know what i hate? dickheads that pronounce Bowie wrong.It is pronounced 'Bowie' not 'Bowie'.David. Bowie.How hard is that?Resume.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It is pronounced 'Bowie' not 'Bowie'.

I hope you're kidding, because on this computer both Bowies look the same to me.

• He's referring to douchebags who pronounced "Bowie" to sound like the name of the knife (Boo-eeee). That shit gets on my nerves too, dude.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

"Hello Brett.. I'm 1980 David Boo-wee from the Ashes to Ashes Video"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    He's referring to douchebags who pronounced "Bowie" to sound like the name of the knife (Boo-eeee). That shit gets on my nerves too, dude.

Well, he could at least spell it out so we know what he's talkin' 'bout, here...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    So, phonetically, our choices (within reason) are:

1) Boo - eee (established here as )

Is this the bloke with the knife too?

2) Bow (rhyming with "Now") - eee (like the chicks would say in "Captain Caveman")

3) Bow (rhyming with "Tow") - eee

I ride firm for 2.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    with you on number two

but how did a bang on his head as a child make one eye change colour?
    How the fkkk does that work?!!?

Like if I get a kick in the balls one of 'em could turn green?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    with you on number two

"Bo" rhymes with "go."

• Bowie,as in doughy.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    He's referring to douchebags who pronounced "Bowie" to sound like the name of the knife (Boo-eeee). That shit gets on my nerves too, dude.

"...in 1966 he chose "Bowie" for his stage name, after the Alamo hero Jim Bowie and his famous Bowie knife."

with you on number two

"Bo" rhymes with "go."

As does Tow. Shall I put you down for 3)?

"...in 1966 he chose "Bowie" for his stage name, after the Alamo hero Jim Bowie and his famous Bowie knife."

Yeah, but in the UK we call him Jim Bowie, not Booo-eee.

with you on number two

"Bo" rhymes with "go."

As does Tow. Shall I put you down for 3)?

• with you on number two

"Bo" rhymes with "go."

you meant, "goo" as in

with you on number two

"Bo" rhymes with "go."

you meant, "goo" as in

Not that my personal experience is the final arbiter of such things, but I have never heard anyone pronounce it other than "Bo" rhyming with "snow." Western hemisphere bias in effect?

Yeah, but in the UK we call him Jim Bowie, not Booo-eee.

Correct. Otherwise his son's name would have been pronounced Zoe instead of Zow-wee!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm with doughy Bowie - we need a clip of him saying his own damn name and then it'll be settled.

Now we know why he created Ziggy Stardust.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I'm with doughy Bowie - we need a clip of him saying his own damn name and then it'll be settled.

I don't know. the "rhymes with doughy" way is how Kurt Loder from MTV News said it, so dammit, that's how I say it.

• How to say: Bowie

* Posted Monday, 8 January 2007 at 16:02 UK time

A weekly guide to the words and names in the news from Eva Liina Asu-Garcia of the BBC Pronunciation Unit.

This week is the 60th birthday of David Bowie who was born David Robert Jones in Brixton, London, on 8 Jan 1947. Although his name is often pronounced as BOW-ee (-ow as in now) the pronunciation that he uses and we recommend is BOH-ee (-oh as in no). He is married to the Somali-born supermodel Iman (pronounced ee-MAN).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/2007/01/how_to_say_bowie.shtml

Curses.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    what the f. first we have a thread where someone mentions a NEW SUPERSECRET URBAN LEGEND about playing dark side of the moon and watching the wizard of oz, and now we have a thread where half the people dont know how to say david bowie's name. what has happened to this board

I always called his bird "Im-aaan" too...

Fuck it. If he comes round my gaff, that's what he gets.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    but what about the damned eye colour change thing?

or is that too taboo on these pages?

maybe I need a fetish chatroom

And she's called "Eva Liina Asu-Garcia"... telling a northerner that he can't talk proper. Her opinion has as much weight with me as Callista Flockhart's shadow.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    5 star thread...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

"Hello Brett.. I'm 1980 David Boo-wee from the Ashes to Ashes Video"

That's pretty freaky Bowie

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I have never heard anyone pronounce it other than "Bo" rhyming with "snow."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like the words ponce and pfaff to describe things.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    what the f. first we have a thread where someone mentions a NEW SUPERSECRET URBAN LEGEND about playing dark side of the moon and watching the wizard of oz, and now we have a thread where half the people dont know how to say david bowie's name. what has happened to this board
    Hippies are falling off younger than ww2 vets, theyre sixty now. Its the liver enzymes. Kids, don't do drugs. Or when you do find someone who knows how to roll and can hook you up with the secret hallucinegenic legends of the vhs.