Off the Charts: The Song-Poem Story

djstefdjstef 534 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Any of you see this yet? I just got my hands on the DVD which I can't wait to watch tonight. Check out the clip:http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/offthecharts/OFF THE CHARTS: The Song-Poem Story is a fascinating, at times unsettling, documentary that exposes the strange underworld of the song-poem industry. In this little known subculture, "ordinary people" respond to come-on ads on the back pages of magazines, mailing in their heartfelt but often bizarre poems to "music industry" companies that, for a fee, turn those poems into real recordings. OFF THE CHARTS explores a truly unique, never-before-seen slice of Gothic Americana through interviews with several song-poem writers, the jaded producers and musicians who set their words to music, and a few of the growing number of zealous song-poem connoisseurs.Enjoy a few selections:"Jimmy Carter Says Yes!""Human Breakdown of Absurdity" "Hippy Happy Land"

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I wish I still had an mp3 of "A Blind Man's Penis." That was the best song-poem ever.

• The father of jazz saxophonist Ellery Eskelin was a big guy in the song poem business. His name was Rodd Keith. I think Irwin Chusid did a big article about him at some point (maybe in his outsider music book).

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I wish I still had an mp3 of "A Blind Man's Penis." That was the best song-poem ever.

OK, I found an mp3: John Turbee - Peace & Love (A Blind Man's Penis)

• awallawall 673 Posts
    i was intending on posing about this movie when I saw it a few months ago but i never got around to it.

it's seriously the best documentary i've ever seen. it's hilariously funny, heartwarming, disturbing, and fascinating all at the same time. long before I saw the actual movie I had the best of CD collection, so seeing the people behind the songs really blew me away ("jimmy carter says yes" in particular). everyone involved is NUTS: the songwriters, the lyric writers, the collectors. Kaglar needs his own TV show.

anyone interested in record collecting (i.e. everyone on this site) has to see this movie. especially if you're into weird private press type shit.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Awesome doc. I've found some song poem LP's recently (got traders) and they are truly awful and wonderful at the same time.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Kung Fu Bicycles!

Jimmy Carter Says Yes

Convertibles and Headbands

Astronauts

so many more...

Rod Keith's melotron playing was the bee's knees.