House Party Playlist

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I'm just an every now and then dj...typically I dj for parties maybe twice a year. Saturday we threw a birthday party for my wife at our house, and here's what I played (all vinyl):Paul Mauriat and His Orchestra ??? It's a Man's WorldDionne Warwicke ??? You're Gonna Need MeMonty Alexander ??? Love and HappinessAllen Toussaint ??? WorldwideWillie Hutch ??? I Choose YouJames Brown ??? Blind Man Can See ItThe Gaturs ??? Gator BaitMystic Moods ??? Midnight SnackThe Ramsey Lewis Trio ??? UhuruOcote Soul Sounds - Tamarindio (Thievery Corp Remix)Digable Planets ??? Dial 7 (Axioms of Creamy Spies)Mary J. Blige ??? You Bring Me JoyPatrice Rushen ??? Remind MeLoose Ends ??? Hangin' On a String (Contemplating)Prince ??? Black SweatFatback ??? Backstrokin'Vaughn Mason and Crew ??? Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll Pt. 2Raydio ??? For Those Who Like to GrooveSkyy ??? HighGoodie Mob ??? Soul FoodD'Angelo ??? Devil's PieEddie Palmieri ??? Condiciones Que ExistenLes Freres Dejean ??? HaitiOrchestre Septentrional ??? La Vie MusicienRoberto Ribeiro ??? Pernambuco o Leao do NorteMassive Gosine ??? ChrlooDiplo featuring Sandra Melody ??? Diplo RhythmVybz Kartel ??? So Me a SayThe Pack ??? VansMC Lyte ??? Lyte As a Rock (House Mix)Outkast ??? The Whole WorldLL Cool J ??? I'm That Type of GuySleepy Brown ??? Me, My Baby and My CadillacPrince ??? ControversyRoyalcash ??? RadioactivePrince ??? Let's WorkDebbie Deb ??? I'm SearchingLinval Thompson ??? Look How Me SexyGregory Isaacs ??? I Will Cool YouBob & Gene ??? I Can Be CoolTerry Huff and Special Delivery ??? I Destroyed Your Love Part 2Blue Magic ??? Just Don't Want to Be LonelyCamp Lo ??? Luchini (This Is It)Sunshine Anderson ??? Heard It All BeforeAmerie ??? 1 ThingSoho ??? Hot MusicStereo MC's ??? ConnectedSpoon ??? I Turn My Camera OnGeorge McCrae ??? I Get LiftedMichael Jackson ??? P.Y.T.Hashim ??? Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)Dynamix II ??? Just Give the DJ a BreakMeat Beat Manifesto ??? RepulsionThe Gruesome Twosome ??? Hallucination Generation (Joker's Revenge Edit)Kraftwerk ??? It's More Fun to ComputeSquarepusher ??? My Red Hot CarBerlin ??? The MetroJah Wobble ??? Blueberry Hill Horace Andy ??? Let's Live in LoveAugustus Pablo ??? East of the River NileSorry Bamba ??? PorryCan ??? Vitamin CMinistry ??? Everyday (Is Halloween)Marvin Gaye ??? Turn On Some MusicLeroy Hutson ??? Love the FeelingEddie Kendricks ??? Girl You Need a Change of MindJan Hammer Group ??? Don't You KnowGary Numan + Tubeway Army ??? Down in the ParkSiouxsie and the Banshees ??? Lunar CamelDub Poets Dub ??? Fork and HoeCelly Cel ??? It's Goin' Down (instrumental)Zapp ??? Computer LoveReady for the World ??? Love You DownDepeche Mode ??? Shake the DiseaseTerence Trent D'Arby ??? Sign Your NameWhatchy'all think?

Comments

• I wouldn't that think you'd play only ONE Texas artist and that that one artist would be Spoon.

(Nothin' but love for our old KTSB homie Britt, though!)

Can't believe you played Meat Beat Manifesto, but I ain't mad at that either.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I wouldn't that think you'd play only ONE Texas artist and that that one artist would be Spoon.

(Nothin' but love for our old KTSB homie Britt, though!)

Can't believe you played Meat Beat Manifesto, but I ain't mad at that either.

If it was my birthday party the playlist would be absolutely different...with rap being the focal point.

This was my wife's party, so I basically pulled what I know to be her favorite songs (thus Meat Beat and Gruesome Twosome for their throwback to club Basics effect, etc.)...plus there were plenty of kids in attendence as well, so it definitely became the kinder, gentler dj set.

I'm especially pleased at how well the Haitian kompa songs went over...

Oh yeah, Ocote Soul Sounds is also from Austin.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    soho - hot music

is the joint

• you need to round that playlist out with something REALLY awful at the end so everyone gets the fuck out and you can go to sleep.

The story goes that Martin Perna of Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra out of NYC was driving to Mexico in a car that ran on vegetable oil. The car broke down in Austin, he connected with Adrian Quesada of Grupo Fantasma, and blam...Ocote Souls Sounds was born. Martin apparently liked it down here so much that he now lives here.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Monty Alexander ??? Love and Happiness

Whatchy'all think?

i think i've been looking for this for about a decade or more....

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Aren't most of the band Antibalas dudes (besides Adrian Quesada)? It was put together by Martin Perna (founder of Antibalas) who's from Philly and, I assume, still spends most of his time in Brooklyn.

Edit ... just read your post. Yeah ... I read the same story about the veggie diesel mobile

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Raydio ??? For Those Who Like to Groove

soho - hot music

is the joint

My friend Gabe, who is a certified professional b-boy, told me no less than 5 minutes before I played "Hot Music" that he was tired from moving that day and had no plans to dance. Next thing I know, I play the song and there he is jumping and spinning all over the entry-way tile in our living room. Immediately the party kicked into its fiercest overdrive...with my mc/basketball/fellow-father friend Pop breaking out a bunch of his old b-boy moves (that none of us realized he had). And then my wife had everyone going crazy with the throwback tap-style routine she did. Oh yeah, and then there was my 2 year-old daughter and her 4 year-old cousin simultaneously hugging and spinning like a whirlwind to the beat. Seriously, that particular song never fails at setting things off.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Raydio ??? For Those Who Like to Groove

Yeah ... that's a favorite spin of mine. I spin a soul/funk weekly in CT that usually fades into boogie by the end of the night and this song is a staple.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Whatchy'all think?

I dig it

• Jan Hammer Group ??? Don't You Know

MiniMoog hot fire!!! One of my favs!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Looks like I would have danced a lot.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Good times.

Love the mental image of the two little ones getting down and windmilling...

good stuff.

And would you believe i saw another copy of Les Shleu Shleu today. (rinked)

• I guess I am the only disappointed that this thread had nothing to do with Kid n Play.

• My friend Gabe, who is a certified professional b-boy

Where does one go to receive such a certification?

• I guess I am the only disappointed that this thread had nothing to do with Kid n Play.

no you're not.

Kid n Play deserve an appreciation thread at some point, if for nothing else than their movies.

• All i know is that if I heard Dionne Warwick youre gonna need me at a house party id go ape shit. Thats the shiet rite thurr

• Jan Hammer Group ??? Don't You Know

MiniMoog hot fire!!! One of my favs!

Yeah, this one blows my mind too. Great choice, HC. Among other good choices obviously.

no you're not.

Kid n Play deserve an appreciation thread at some point, if for nothing else than their movies.

That party was hype.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The ecletic scope of this list reminds me very much of a typical get together at our house after a night out. Finishing it off with some D'Arby is just the icing on the cake.