What was your favorite cassette brand to record to

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
The early 80's Gray TDK's chrome, lot's of classics recorded on them joints!! Carl Carlton, Cameo, Bar-Kays, Oneway, Lakeside, Magic's wand!!!! All recorded off the radio!How bout you? Hahahaha Matter of fact UndertheRadar's brother and My Brother got nabbed at Walker Scott for boosting them joints!

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    GREY TAPES

• How bout you? Hahahaha Matter of fact UndertheRadar's brother and My Brother got nabbed at Walker Scott for boosting them joints!

I totally forgot about that, what about the Playboys??????

I like to use the Maxell XL II or the TDK SA90's.
    Word.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    plaese to report to Unattainable Shorties Appreciation thread, stat.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Was? Was? I still use Maxell brand.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Old SKOOOOOOOOL.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    ampex 456

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Maxell XLII-S 100 minutes. Those were really nice and long. They weren't stretched out too much to break like the 110s. Also the TDK metal type ones are the shit as well. Recently found an overly sick TDK PRO Professional Multitrack Studio Master that runs only 20 minutes, 10 on each side and is super clear. But if I ain't got my 100 minute ones which aren't made anymore I settle for the 90s.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Old SKOOOOOOOOL.

Word. That's the shit right there. BASF and TDK. And a lot of cheap noname brands from the supermarket. Some of those cheapos were so low quality you really had to feed the tape some serious input levels just to get a bearable signal-to-noise ratio. And they still sounded like a subway tunnel.

Good quality cassette tapes still got a unique sound. I used to really like to boost the signal just short of distortion to get that tape compression going (not with metal tapes though). Lovely sound.

Still got a tapedeck in the setup for certain situations. Very necessary.

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts
    Maxell XLII-S 100 minutes.

I'm with you one the XLII-S. I used to rock the gold ones.

before I could afford Maxell it was....

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i was all about the XL-II's ... man my fostex 4 track would just eat them shits for breakfast on hispeed... but the sound twas real crispy.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I remember there was always that big thing about never put cassette tapes on top of your speakers or your telly.

Did anyone ever manage to erase a cassette tape by accident or purposely by doing this or was it just a load of old bullshit?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Old SKOOOOOOOOL.

since my real name is Bas, I rocked BASF tapes.
    It even was my nickname for a while.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    maxell grey tape.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    The very heavy grey maxells. Dont recall the model type but I had every single 89.9 stretch and bobbito recorded on these. Movers lost shoebox full of these back in 99 or so and was devestated for over a year. placed ads out for anyone who had these recorded on tape who could make doubles for me. yeah but anyhow those were the ones I used

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    TDK's and some crazy brand that was supposed to record CDs at a higher level (had something to do with the tape), but i can't remember waht the fuck the name of it is. i remember dubbing some fishbone on that shit.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I like to use the Maxell XL II or the TDK SA90's.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Maxell XL II's was my standard.

Some of my first mixes were done with this version:

I also liked TDK, BASF (when I could find them). I also liked the TEAC ones that used to look like mini reel-to-reel tape.

They even had open cassettes, which I had never heard of:

I wish I could say I had all of these tapes on file, but I did a Google search and found an image folder without an index file inside so, raid we shall:
    http://c-90.nm.ru/cassettes/

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

As I'm looking at this page, I'm reminded of ordering cassette catalogs, or seeing them in catalogs for Panasonic, JVC, Technics, or Sony (technically all one and the same), and always seeing blanks that were C-10, C-15, or C-20. I used to think "wow, I could record my 45's on there" and to this day, I wished I had the knowledge to have put a trademark on the word "cassingle". I still have an old "Book Of Nothing" where I drew diagrams and listings of all the 45's that could be released as cassettes. And what happened? Yeah, cassettes become the format of choice for a good ten years.

Or when TDK came out with the first 180 cassettes. I had to buy those immediately. Sounded like crap when I recorded music, only to find out it was more ideal for voice recordings. The one thing that sucked about 180 minute tapes was when you had to FF or rewind, and it would slow down the machine to the point where the tape would eventually snap or not move.

I'm also looking at these Sony CD-it's, which I'm sure a lot of us bought as well. To be able to put a full CD on a cassette without much blank space on the end of each side... WOW!!! And yet I recently discovered that CD-recorders had been in existence since 1985, but most people didn't have $6700 to buy them.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Maxell's were the joint. the one's with the heavy case. unfadable back then