weekend findz...searching for heat in the cold

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
This time of year it's rough looking for some records at your usual spots. My man who hooked me with some fine reggae records said he had some more for me this week. We've all been there before. Drive some distance early in the morning to find they didn't show up and/or they didn't have the records they promised. Well my man showed up and he had records. Did I mention it was frickin cold? Well here's my scores...some hot reggae music for january... here's some young jackie mittoo shit got some 45's toomeditations - house of parliament/dub (black ark)trinity - top ranking/version (errol)brigadier jerry - wicked situation/mix up mix up (ises int.)congos - fisher man/dub (upsetters)welton irie lambs bread int./lego the herb man dub (south east) x2jah fish - bad boy skank/version (blood music)dillinger - stumbling block/page one (black & white)barbara jones - why did you leave me (gg)mighty maytones - i see the light (gg)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

like 4 of my favorite reggae albums ever in that stash.

well done.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Wow.

The Congoes is such a brilliant record, i worked in a record store when it was rereleased, we played that thing non-stop every day.

great record, great memory, great score.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    which 4?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    damn... nice scores.

which 4?

Well, I own the Bobby Babylon and Wailing Souls and
    play the hell out of them, and have CD's of the Congos
    and the first Soul Bros and they are fantastic, too.

i didn't know much about the soul bros. Than I saw jackie Mittoo...nuff said. Thoses records were mine...

• Just had a nice Goodwill score plus a few things I picked up in the Bay when I was back there visiting fam for the holiday. Mostly .50 to $1. Nothing over $10.

I see PrimeCuts got volume 2 of the Treasure Isle comp. This one is real nice too. Orq. Narvaez is some gritty salsa. Sobrinos del Juez was an interesting find- not as hot as "Harina de Maiz", but does this fetch any loot?

hip hop & disco stuff. Instrumental version of Kollage, and a coverless "Words From The Genius". Konk is cool no-wave disco punk ala Pigbag.

bollywood, chinese pop, cumbias & soul

Andi then there was this weird 12". ungoogleable. anyone know what's up? Italo disco funky bizarro is my best description. Funky drums is just a bass player and drummer sitting in a disco groove for like 5 mins straight.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Sobrinos del Juez was an interesting find- not as hot as "Harina de Maiz", but does this fetch any loot?

not really...
    but i do like the cover of Antonio Carlos y Jocafi on that one.

Sobrinos Del Juez were and are a big deal as far as the Cuban music scene down in Miami. Carlos Oliva is not only well known and respected down in Miami, but among the nicest of people i've had the pleasure of meeting. He is still making lots of music...

Peace!

• not really...
    but i do like the cover of Antonio Carlos y Jocafi on that one.

Sobrinos Del Juez were and are a big deal as far as the Cuban music scene down in Miami. Carlos Oliva is not only well known and respected down in Miami, but among the nicest of people i've had the pleasure of meeting. He is still making lots of music...

Peace!

Shoulda known you'd have the connect. "Glorioso San Antonio" is my pick on there as well. Could do without the background synth, but otherwise it's fire.

hope you had a good last coupla weeks homie- mix soon?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

^^ ok i picked up gypsy boots because it was on Sidewalk, i had no idea it was a
    comedy(??) album. Im still not sure what the hell it is. the malcom x is neat
    because its on all platinum.

^^ the ali baba thing is Italian hip-hop/house? from 1987. its ok. i have no idea
    what the deal is. ventures looks amazing with clear vinyl and NASA association, but
    ive learned its bad dance mixes with cheese vocals. that walter wanderly is
    excellent as is the chambers brothers, both of which i had no idea existed.

^^ the herb larson sounds like good sample fodder, suprising as its on Command and
    features a big goofy sax player. Catch is doing me right, good late 60s(?) stuff.

^^ very happy with the Birtha and the House of Leather, and stoked on these (raer)
    early Django 10"s on Angel. Havent heard Dada yet, but im assuming it will be interesting.

^^ an unlikely pair of unplayed white label promos.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Only 3 LPs for me this weekend, not even worth the effort to photograph.
    the new Budos Band
    Peddlers - Suite London
    Stevie Wonder - Uptight

• sheeeeeeeeeeiiit....suite london is sick!!!
    and that napoleon xiv got some on it

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i picked up gypsy boots because it was on Sidewalk, i had no idea it was a
    comedy(??) album. Im still not sure what the hell it is.

Funny, the single I have of his on Sidewalk could pass for straight music, but I should have figured the album would be "unpredictable," as that title sez. I have a videotape of a cable access talk show he guested on fairly recently, and evidently he's still freaking out in the streets of L.A., just like when he made the record forty-odd years ago.

Sounds like it's not so much "comedy" as "novelty" (two different things), just like that Napoleon XIV album you got.

^^ the herb larson sounds like good sample fodder, suprising as its on Command and
    features a big goofy sax player.

"Big goofy" is right - you didn't tell 'em about that horrendous B&W gatefold pic of potbellied Herb, pictured in a reclining position! He obviously did it as a goof, but DAAAAMN, is that ever an unpleasant sight...that photo is out of focus for a reason!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    a couple Numero-related mailbox finds:

(thanks m****o***!)

uhhh WTF I thought The Quantrells were ladies!? I'm confused...

and some real world findz (except the Joe Henderson box, which was $36 from Dusty Groove! Thanks to g****** for the head's up!)

my heart skipped a beat when I saw the last one, but alas, it's not the "rear"...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    sheeeeeeeeeeiiit....suite london is sick!!!
    yeah I know, I'm not complaining about the quality, just the quantity, took me 3 hours & virtually the whole store to find those 3 LPs. I'd been waiting for a cheap/clean Suite London for a while now so it's all good.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    which 4?

Well, I own the Bobby Babylon and Wailing Souls and
    play the hell out of them, and have CD's of the Congos
    and the first Soul Bros and they are fantastic, too.

Super in the Wailing Souls record (their 1st). Check the extended versions of some of the songs. Really awesome dubbing for its time. Also lovethe version of Chicken and Booze on Carib Soul.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Nice scores Prime Cuts!
    Are the Studio One's all originals?
    I love that Tenor Saw lp, pure heatery.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    haven't been digging much the past couple weeks but picked up a few cheapies yesterday

Yo I bought some records.

Rockabilly legend with a Whiskey-a-Go-Go set, beating
    Johnny Rivers at his own game - a few great tracks on here.

Gorgeous OG. First copy I've owned of this album. Word.

Raer ... scored for cheap and is in great shape.

a couple cheap rawk joints:

Both totally shred.

These were late Christmas gifts from a very dear friend:

A few dollarbin jazz joints:

Clea Bradford has a jazzy version of the Johnny Sayles hit
    "My Love's a Monster" and a totally killer take on "Summertime"

45's:

This single is like 75% drumbreaks

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    dollar bin miracles

weinberg method is weird in a good way.
    that hair record is by far the illest i've ever picked up. fuzz for dayz.
    impeccable is some live hard rock shit. air guitar solos for dayz.
    eddie.

Nice scores Prime Cuts!

they all seem to be except the burning spear is the red & yellow label

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Nice scores Prime Cuts!

they all seem to be except the burning spear is the red & yellow label

That's aresome!
    Nothing wrong with those red and yellow label
    numbers, I've got a bunch of them and they tend to be a bit
    more reliable that the Jamaican 1st pressings.

• Dyna-Might "borracho"
    minted up on IU Soul Revue "tell me 'bout it"
    Avalance '77 breaks!
    Joe Bataan "latin strut"
    Jesters III "funky country" (country funk at it's best!)

Yes, that's a Tiffany Shade LP
    PowerGlide is a sealed AOR rarity!

Got a Mint Doris Duke on Canyon for a good price!

Odd Ball private presses,
    and the Other Side breaks.

Opus 3 is a cool Guatemalan record.
    Black Market is sealed!

Common 45s for cheap.

Beautiful Lloyd's portable...almost pocket size!

• Clea Bradford has a jazzy version of the Johnny Sayles hit
    "My Love's a Monster" and a totally killer take on "Summertime"

I'm pretty sure that the Clea Bradford and Johnny Sayles are two different songs with the same title.

I'm pretty sure that the Clea Bradford and Johnny Sayles are two different songs with the same title.

Huh, I'll have to dig out the Sayles 45 and compare ...
    ... I think with them being from the same city and time
    period, I just assumed ... but looking at the Bradford
    LP now, I see that the writing credit is to her and and
    Richard Evans, so you are probably right ...

• Yusef lateef - "jazz mood," lasha/simmons "firebirds" on contemporary, gary wilson "another galaxy" for $8 (!), frank perry "deep peace" (newage common), jazz ramwong (US/pacific press), lube for my VPI (ahem), Sacred Dances Of the Wahshi Dervishes, some OG late 70s revolutionaries/king tubby/sly & robby LPs.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Recent buys:

• Recent buys:

Damn this is good, I've been repeatedly bumping it all day!

• Raer ... scored for cheap and is in great shape.

amazing! you FUCKER!
    why there arent a bazillion posts of melting faces after this is unfathomable...probably the coolest and raerest record posted on this board in a long while...fuck a boscoe.

• I'm pretty sure that the Clea Bradford and Johnny Sayles are two different songs with the same title.

Huh, I'll have to dig out the Sayles 45 and compare ...
    ... I think with them being from the same city and time
    period, I just assumed ... but looking at the Bradford
    LP now, I see that the writing credit is to her and and
    Richard Evans, so you are probably right ...

yes, different songs...but both top shelf!