Debut LP's That Weren't All That Impressive

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
For all the golden greats who didn't get it right the first time!WarPresenting Isaac HayesBrown Sugar - D'AngeloAll By Myself - Eddie KendricksBlack HeatHeart & Soul - Lorraine EllisonRaspberriesStrangers - Merle HaggardADD ON!

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    For all the golden greats who didn't get it right the first time!

War
    Presenting Isaac Hayes
    Brown Sugar - D'Angelo
    All By Myself - Eddie Kendricks
    Black Heat
    Heart & Soul - Lorraine Ellison
    Raspberries
    Strangers - Merle Haggard

ADD ON!

Though I'm probably in the minority here, I actually enjoyed D'Angelo's first album more than Voodoo.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Human Beinz first LP is pretty forgettable,
    with a couple of cool tracks, but their second
    one, Evolutions, is fantastic.
    Also in garage, I'm tempted to say the Music Machine,
    as the first LP has a bunch of awful covers as filler,
    while the second LP is all originals, all killer -
    but the first one does have enough quality to make
    it worth owning, no doubt.

By the way, I like that Eddie Kendricks record alot.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For all the golden greats who didn't get it right the first time!

War
    Presenting Isaac Hayes
    Brown Sugar - D'Angelo
    Black Heat
    Raspberries

ADD ON!

Though I'm probably in the minority here, I actually enjoyed D'Angelo's first album more than Voodoo.

"Voodoo" might have been the better album, but I enjoyed "Brown Sugar," period.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Brown Sugar had the better remixes, no question.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Dare I say the Beatles, Please Please Me?

I guess a true matter of opinion, and there was no way of knowing what was to come, even if it was a so called masterpiece of the time... in hindsight, later works proved to be more memorable and musically grown. I guess it depends on how much a group evolved and how long they were around too. That could be said about a lot of pop groups that went psychedelic, and I suppose real funky soul lovers could say the same about a lot of Jazz, Soul and R&B dudes. Curtis maybe, miles perhaps? I guess Im saying it is hard imagine a first impression if you weren't there from the git. Or maybe I am over thinking it. But growth and timelessness seems to make the beginning sometimes seem less punchy and kind of stale.....at least in the big picture.

• Dare I say the Beatles, Please Please Me?

I guess a true matter of opinion, and there was no way of knowing what was to come, even if it was a so called masterpiece of the time... in hindsight, later works proved to be more memorable and musically grown. I guess it depends on how much a group evolved and how long they were around too. That could be said about a lot of pop groups that went psychedelic, and I suppose real funky soul lovers could say the same about a lot of Jazz, Soul and R&B dudes. Curtis maybe, miles perhaps? I guess Im saying it is hard imagine a first impression if you weren't there from the git. Or maybe I am over thinking it. But growth and timelessness seems to make the beginning sometimes seem less punchy and kind of stale.....at least in the big picture.

But then again, there are some acts who seemingly shot their wad on album #1, or took a hard turn in another direction.

I'm sure many will disagree, but both the Mothers of Invention's and Neko Case's debut albums were better than anything (I've heard) that came later.

• Though I'm probably in the minority here, I actually enjoyed D'Angelo's first album more than Voodoo.

I guess. Remixes, shemixes - never made much of a difference to me.

I guess my bias is probably due to the fact that I am not a fan of contemporary R&B, and Voodoo sounded like D'Angelo was trying to get as far from that as possible. Brown Sugar, on the other hand, sounded just like all those other Smoove B love-man types that were out back then (or right now??), and I couldn't see why people thought he was so damn special. The only reason he was on my radar at all was because I was working at a record store when that came out, and my coworkers played that CD day in and day out.

I guess my bias is probably due to the fact that I am not a fan of contemporary R&B, and Voodoo sounded like D'Angelo was trying to get as far from that as possible. Brown Sugar, on the other hand, sounded just like all those other Smoove B love-man types that were out back then (or right now??), and I couldn't see why people thought he was so damn special. The only reason he was on my radar at all was because I was working at a record store when that came out, and my coworkers played that CD day in and day out.
    What?!
    I love a good remix, you are sleeping if you aren't checkin' for remixes.

• Though I'm probably in the minority here, I actually enjoyed D'Angelo's first album more than Voodoo.

What?!
    I love a good remix, you are sleeping if you aren't checkin' for remixes.

Hey, moderator, where's that "I Ain't Into That" emoticon? (((grin)))

Well, as I said up there, I am not a fan of modern R&B (from the disco era onwards), so remixes never really existed in my world.

Heh, heh - later for this remix shit, I prefer the days when it was just "Part One" and "Part Two," or the short 45 version vs. the long LP version, not "Chuck's Mocha Latte Coolout Club Remix."

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Not to make this a D'Angelo thread but,

People like Voodoo more than Brown Sugar??

To my ears, Voodoo is way too jammy, and while I got love for Premo, Red and Meth, I dont really need to hear them on a D'Angelo album imo.

Also, I'll add 2pac to the list....

I refuse to quote that mess above ^^^^^^^^

Hip Hop remixes?
    Hello?!

• Hip Hop remixes?
    Hello?!

Hip-hop? Goodbye...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Most of my favourite "indie rock" (whatever) bands were also late bloomers, their best work IMO took them awhile. See: Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Brown Sugar is weak as a whole but he had singles that carried the album into the stratosphere.

my vote...

Alicia Keys first joint isnt that impressive as a whole.

• Most of my favourite "indie rock" (whatever) bands were also late bloomers, their best work IMO took them awhile. See: Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine.

I'm not saying it was bad, but that first Replacements LP (Sorry, Ma...) coulda been any random, undistinguished hardcore band...

• For all the golden greats who didn't get it right the first time!

War
    Presenting Isaac Hayes
    Brown Sugar - D'Angelo
    Black Heat
    Raspberries

ADD ON!

if you had a girl ,you would enjoy brown sugar on Loop

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Most of my favourite "indie rock" (whatever) bands were also late bloomers, their best work IMO took them awhile. See: Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, My Bloody Valentine.

I'm not saying it was bad, but that first Replacements LP (Sorry, Ma...) coulda been any random, undistinguished hardcore band...

I have to disagree - I think it stands out with their own
    unique style, the sort of childish irreverence that marked
    most of their early releases ... which makes sense since they
    were like 15 years old ...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was thinking the Beatles too. That first VJ LP.

Little Feat

I can't think of many soul acts I put on this list. There was a time I would say Aretha Franklin but I like her early stuff more and more every day. If this keeps up Atlantic hits will be below Columbia hits for me.

I'm betting there are scores of jazz artists who would fit nicely in this thread, but I'm not sure what their first lps were. I know that Miles, Adderley, Brubeck, Joe Pass, Grant Green... best stuff was not their first.

• I didn't really like Radiohead's Pablo Honey all that much.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Even though I love Stevie his early stuff is a mixed bag.

- spidey

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    not "Chuck's Mocha Latte Coolout Club Remix."

• Common??s first joint. Maybe I was biased since I bought it after fiending out on his second joint.

same with the first organized.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Even though I love Stevie his early stuff is a mixed bag.

- spidey

I don't think this was his first release, there was an album with a studio version of fingertips that (maybe) pre-dates this. and yeah that album sucks.

But that live one is nice to me.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

same with the first organized.

yikes

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    mobb deep
    fugees

some might say:
    southernplayalistic

but not me

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I know you care about different versions of songs pickwick- just because you are loud and proud with your bias against rapp/twelve-inches/etc don't let that cloud your opinion too much... there was a number of classic singles off Brown Sugar and the remixes played a part in that

I thought Voodoo was the absolute shit when it dropped, but in retrospect its stoned, sterile vibe (blame Questlove) is kinda snoozy overall... while it has its standouts, the first alb definitely has more memorable tracks IMO (and doesn't sound like much else of its era either - you do know Smooth B was a rapper, right?)

• I thought Voodoo was the absolute shit when it dropped, but in retrospect its stoned, sterile vibe (blame Questlove) is kinda snoozy overall...

I guess I liked Voodoo because it reminded me, in spirit, of Edwin Birdsong or Shuggie Otis or some other experimental soul guy from the seventies. I'd throw Sly's Riot LP in there too. I'll admit to liking Dudley Perkins for similar reasons.

(and doesn't sound like much else of its era either - you do know Smooth B was a rapper, right?)

You do know I was talking about SMOOVE B, right? > Google him. (He's on Wikipedia, as well.)

Smoove B is this fictional columnist in the Onion whose articles are always sweet-talking some lady he's trying to get into bed with. And his sentences all read like a Keith Sweat lyric or something.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I thought Voodoo was the absolute shit when it dropped, but in retrospect its stoned, sterile vibe (blame Questlove) is kinda snoozy overall...

I guess I liked Voodoo because it reminded me, in spirit, of Edwin Birdsong or Shuggie Otis or some other experimental soul guy from the seventies. I'd throw Sly's Riot LP in there too. I'll admit to liking Dudley Perkins for similar reasons.

If Voodoo had come out as originally intended I might feel a little differently about it - I heard a demo tape while it was still under construction that opened with an excerpt from a Hendrix show and contained an in-progress cover of Fela's "Water No Get Enemy" (which was apparently aborted cuz Lauryn Hill was supposed to contribute a verse and had never heard of him! he did a little rap on the tape where he was instructing Lauryn to put her verse down)

That song where they rip off Kool & the Gang's "Sea of Tranquility" is great though

• If Voodoo had come out as originally intended I might feel a little differently about it - I heard a demo tape while it was still under construction that opened with an excerpt from a Hendrix show and contained an in-progress cover of Fela's "Water No Get Enemy" (which was apparently aborted cuz Lauryn Hill was supposed to contribute a verse and had never heard of him!

??? They were basically contemporaries !

Wait a minute - she had never heard of D'Angelo (which I don't believe) or she hadn't heard of Fela?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    On that Fela cover/benefit album, D'Angelo ended up doing "No Water No Enemy," not with Lauryn but... Macy Gray. Still, it's not that bad.