Mixer help please- DJ input appreciated

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
OK so I learned to mix and scratch on this:

I love the mixer above except for it is nearly impossible to learn modern scratches with that crossfader. I wanted to learn the scratches I was hearing everywhere so I needed that adjustable fader and I went and bought this:

Now I guess I am picky or something but I instantly hated the Vestax 07-PRO's faders and curves from day one. In fact I pretty much think it's a crappy mixer all around and if it wasn't for that adjustable fader, I would have probably ditched it a long time ago. My main gripe is that all the action (fade or volume) seems to occur within 1/4 inch on the slider regardless of the adjustents etc.. See illustration:

So now my most recent dilema is that the 07 pro now seems to suddenly be almost entirely dead in the left channel output regardless of which jacks I use (RCA or 1/4). So now I think maybe It's time for me to get a NEW mixer and I'm curious what kind I should get to best suit my desires..

I don't do too much volume fader tricks so I would prefer a smooth volume curve like that of my old Numark. As for the crossfader I would like an adjustable fader that is actaully accurate with the ability to go from equal X-fade to extreme opposite (for flares etc..).

Also has anyone else had channel problems with their VESTAX mixers? I have heard it's fairly common and wondering how much it's gonna cost me to fix this. And also does anyone know if they make different faders with better (longer) curves that perhaps i could use instead?

All help & input is appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I fixed my images, sorry about that.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It's all about the Rane.

Hey thanks but which one?
    Rane makes quite a few. Any specific suggestions?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

TTM56i is pretty much the mixer of choice around these parts. I own an older TTM54 and love it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    algarth - i hear you on those curves.. the vestax at this club i used to do a regular at had a crossfader that no matter how you set it would pretty much only do anything right at the last second.. impossible to do any mixing other than quick cuts using the crossfader at all... had to do everything with the volume faders.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

TTM56i is pretty much the mixer of choice around these parts. I own an older TTM54 and love it.

true indeed. Have had the 54 for some time. Other than the cleaning once every other month or so with Cailube. its on point. Though I would love to get my hands on a rotary mixer. So maybe thats the next topic. Best rotary mixer (rane, vestax, urei, etc)

Word!

Thanks guys.
    Looks like i'm leaning toward the RANE 56 so far.

It seems awesome and my boy can hook it uo for $530 new.

-AL

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    When Vestax came out with the 07, they accidentally put crossfaders in all of the lines. I guess they are identical and interchangeable. Vestax was sending people line fader replacements free of charge. this is great, because it left you with two free optical crossfaders, and those things are expensive. Call Vestax.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Word!

Thanks guys.
    Looks like i'm leaning toward the RANE 56 so far.

It seems awesome and my boy can hook it uo for $530 new.

-AL

Damn, that is a DEAL. Plaese let Odub know (he's in the market for a 56).

I just bought a Pioneer DJM-707 on Ebay (buy it now) for $269, shipping included. That's also a very, very dope mixer and seems pretty unbeatable for the money. The fader is fully adjustable, too, down to the tension settings.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

This seems right. My friend has one and it is really annoying using it. He has a Numark that is there top of the line model I think as well which is nice. Has effects and very good. I got to search for the picture.

Well I just got the Rane 56 and I like it a lot so far although I might be having buyers remorse after seeing that Pioneer 707 that seems to be the exact same thing as the Rane only about half the price. Rad.

Let me know how it works. I can still return this Rane if I want.

Thanks,
    Al

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Yo if you don't like it let me know. I'm down to buy one for that price. I will pay for shipping or pickup if in Cali. Let me know yo.

Sorry but if I sell anything it will be my Vestax 07-pro.
    It is fully functional and in great condition! It turned out that the channel problem was with BOTH of my stylus's if you can imagine the odds of that.

Anyway vestax 07-pro will be around $350

-Thanks,
    AL