Planet Earth (HDTV-R)

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody been watching this series? Double on the HDTV. Some pretty unbelievable footage of just about every possible inch of the earth a camera could get to. Mesmorizing and fascinating all at once. Great show.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Anybody been watching this series?

Double on the HDTV. Some pretty unbelievable footage of just about every possible inch of the earth a camera could get to. Mesmorizing and fascinating all at once. Great show.

Never heard of it until my dad got this mostrosity of a HD-TV.

He sits there and drink coffee while this is on in the background. Very cool. Only seen a few that are on-demand.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Anybody been watching this series?

Double on the HDTV. Some pretty unbelievable footage of just about every possible inch of the earth a camera could get to. Mesmorizing and fascinating all at once. Great show.

Never heard of it until my dad got this mostrosity of a HD-TV.

He sits there and drink coffee while this is on in the background. Very cool. Only seen a few that are on-demand.

I was going to pick up the DVD Box-set for my pops. I've only seen small portions, but it's all been very face-melting.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    what a rad show. my friend works for a program that was nominated for a cinematography emmy against pe. good fuggin luck.

• wow, yeah, good luck beating this stuff out on cinematography! they have this split second shot of a great white shark jumping out of the water to devour a seal and they shot it with this special camera made to examine car crashes and they slowed it down like 50x or some shit, just looks completely incredible. anybody with access to a fancy TV should peep this shit. Even if you don't have the fancy TV, still some amazing cinematography going on in these shows. The HD just brings it to a whole new level.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Probabaly the single greatest thing i've seen on television, ever. Its beautiful. I think it really reminds you how fuckin blessed we are and what an incredible world we live in. It also reminds you that there is still so much out there that is undisturbed and worth saving. Its not to late to try to repair all the damage we've done to the planet, nahmizzle?

I have the series on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately the one available on bluray/dvd is the british series with attenborough narrating - the american version with homegirl from alien was much stronger in my eyes - edited better and with more more exciting music, etc.

Whenever I have people over for the first time i fire up the HD and Bluray with Planet Earth playing and pretend I was watching it before they showed up.

• I have the series on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately the one available on bluray/dvd is the british series with attenborough narrating - the american version with homegirl from alien was much stronger in my eyes - edited better and with more more exciting music, etc.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Attenbourough's naration is so much stronger. And the dramatic music in the American version was kind of cheesy.

Did anyone peep "Blue Planet?" It is basically Planet Earth for the oceans. It was released in the states shortly after Planet Earth (and I believe was made by the same team) but got way less hype. Maybe not quite as impressive as Planet Earth, but still definitely worth checking out. Beautiful.

• I think there was a thread on here at one point about some of the more bizarre creatures featured on Blue Planet. There's some weird lifeforms underwater. It's mind-boggling to me that only like 5% of the world's ocean floors have actually been explored. Makes you wonder what else is lurking down there.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I have the series on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately the one available on bluray/dvd is the british series with attenborough narrating - the american version with homegirl from alien was much stronger in my eyes - edited better and with more more exciting music, etc.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Attenbourough's naration is so much stronger. And the dramatic music in the American version was kind of cheesy.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Attenbourough is a folk'in god

• Options
    I'm all about the Planet Earth docs, Blue Planet too. My sister is getting me the hddvd's for Christmas. There are some other random documentaries you should keep an eye out for if you really want to take advantage of HD; "Winged Migration" and "Microcosmos" are two that I saw this summer/fall that I keep saved on the DVR.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Im not Hatting on Monsieur Attenbourough - But i disagree about the music and editing. I especially thought the intro sequence for the american version was FACEFUCKMINDMELTPANTSHITTING.