Sports Associted With Race

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I was walking down the street yesterday with my headphones on when I saw a black dude in his mid 20s looking around and randomly talking at people who were around him. He glanced at me and said something I didn't catch, after which I turned down my music to see what he was saying to other people. Then a black dude with dreads on a skateboard rolled down the street and the guy who was walking near me leaned over to a younger kid (who was minding his own business) and said, "See that guy there, that ain't no black dude...brothas don't skateboard - that's a white dude!"

I'm right there beside them thinking, *What the fuck?? It's the most beautiful day of the YEAR outside right now, I just got out of the crib after being inside ALL day and this dude is just out here straight hating on people!!* What made it worse is that he was purposefully telling an impressionable young person that if you mess with skateboards, you don't belong to your own culture.

Anyway, now I'm watching professional arm wrestling and wondering what it would be like if a few brothas were peppered in the competition... Log rolling, even...that's my shit!

All of this has me thinking about how some people view certain cultures in relation to sports.

What are some of the preconceptions about sports and race that you've heard or experienced?

Comments

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    spell check

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    this just in...

Chris Andersen is still attempting his "catch and dunk"

• Then a black dude with dreads on a skateboard rolled down the street and the guy who was walking near me leaned over to a younger kid (who was minding his own business) and said, "See that guy there, that ain't no black dude...brothas don't skateboard - that's a white dude!"

Damn, was it Bukue One?

Plaese to also see this week's thread on "are there any good white b-ballers?"

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Send that hommie to LA aka the land of thugged out dudes on skateboard...

but in all seriousness, fuck him and the horse he rode in. I could go on about this for days really but I won't. I think it's so screwy to get into the habit of seeing anything be it sports, music, clothing etc through color coded glasses. So WHAT is black? Basketball? Guns? Weed? Fried Chicken?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

When I was growing up in ATL, I knew lots of black dudes that skated... Andre 3000 used to skate, in fact.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    was he hanging out with "wingdings named buffy and brad?"

the black dude on the skateboard posed a threat to the other dude(s)...therefore as usual "we" had to dismiss skateboard dude from the culture/race...because God forbid one of us actually decides to do something different and not follow the other robots on/at the basketball court,corner,white t-shirt shop and recording studio

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He might rethink his bullshit if he ever saw Bastien Salabanzi and Darrell Stanton.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    lacrosse ----> Onondaga lumberjacks, baffin islands residents

was he hanging out with "wingdings named buffy and brad?"

No, I don't think so--this was back when he was still, you know, black.

I am just joking, y'all.

Edit: miscommunication--I thought Shig was responding to my post about Andre 3000.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

When I was growing up in ATL, I knew lots of black dudes that skated... Andre 3000 used to skate, in fact.

i cant imagine skatin in atl. i dont really see people on bikes out there either. sooo fucking hot and spread out. you have to have a whip out there.. WITH A/C

i cant imagine skatin in atl. i dont really see people on bikes out there either. sooo fucking hot and spread out. you have to have a whip out there.. WITH A/C

Well, man, you're not skating in order to get from point A to point B. Atlanta's got lots of architecture that's good to skate, and the downtowen business district is absolutely dead after dark. That's where everybody I knew used to ride. Suntrust Plaza and places like that.

the black dude on the skateboard posed a threat to the other dude(s)...therefore as usual "we" had to dismiss skateboard dude from the culture/race...because God forbid one of us actually decides to do something different and not follow the other robots on the basketball court,corner,white t-shirt shop and recording studio

and why dudes always yellin out the window of their "scrapers" talkin bout "oh, yeah mang, im 'bout to go to the studio right now!" BROADcastin hella loud. shaddup!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    One of my homies is working on a documentary on a guy that looks like Mike Tyson (in terms of build & skin tone) who's a professional Ping-Pong player. At one point he pulls off his shirt - across the table from a skinny poindexer fellow - growling as he *dinks* the ball with his little paddle for the win.

As soon as I find it, I will post.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    growling as he *dinks* [b/b]the ball

watch it there buddy.

the black dude on the skateboard posed a threat to the other dude(s)...therefore as usual "we" had to dismiss skateboard dude from the culture/race...because God forbid one of us actually decides to do something different and not follow the other robots on the basketball court,corner,white t-shirt shop and recording studio

and why dudes always yellin out the window of their "scrapers" talkin bout "oh, yeah mang, im 'bout to go to the studio right now!" BROADcastin hella loud. shaddup!

my favorite is the dude on the "chirp" phone.... BEEP...BEEP.. "YEAH DOG!!!!ME AND MY NIGGA BULLET BOUT TO HIT THE STUDIO AND LAY SOME TRACKS DOWN" ... BEEP BEEP

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Because we all know Andre 3000 is the definition of black stereotype!

BTW... what about that ugly ass fool from Kids?

hahaha...the ignorance and perpetration is ubiquitous

growling as he *dinks* [/b]the ball

watch it there buddy.

Also defined as: 'A soft hit ball, usually either a "dink serve" or a "dink spike".'

Felt, though. Apologies...

You mean Harold 'shake that d***' Hunter??

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

You mean 'shake that d***' Harold??

Ha, that would be him. A girl I know licked the inside of his mouth one time. Yuck.

• Send that hommie to LA aka the land of thugged out dudes on skateboard...

Well, man, you're not skating in order to get from point A to point B. Atlanta's got lots of architecture that's good to skate, and the downtowen business district is absolutely dead after dark. That's where everybody I knew used to ride. Suntrust Plaza and places like that.

Faux checks the diary he kept during his green-mohawk-and-nose-ring phase for the exact locations of said skatable edifices.

Grin-DING!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Harold Hunter - not that good.

Right, more reckless charisma than skills.

But, nobody could see my man Clyde Singleton.

See what happens, Aprin? Doesn't look like the chicken stereotype is going anywhere!

Right, more reckless charisma than skills.

But, nobody could see my man Clyde Singleton.

See what happens, Aprin? Doesn't look like the chicken stereotype is going anywhere!

Did Clyde used to have a shoe? I think I may have had a pair long ago...

Faux checks the diary he kept during his green-mohawk-and-nose-ring phase for the exact locations of said skatable edifices.

Grin-DING!

Stop telling lies--I never had a mohawk.

please tell me that is not what i think it is in that helmet (nevermind the bug eyes and buckwheat jumpoff)...if so i would like to be 1st in line at the slap the shit outta Clyde tournament

I guess not, got keep SOMEONE comfortable with their views of the world

ed, you're seeing right...

wild eyed black dude with crazy hair and mouth agape (teeth exposed) posing infront of a bunch on chicken and biscuits and gravys..... my blackness has been defined. Thnak you.

Did Clyde used to have a shoe? I think I may have had a pair long ago...

Yep! I had a pair of the black ones with the gum sole. Those were my classic jumoffs.