Here, My Dear Finally Gets The Deluxe Treatment

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
RELEASE DATE: December 7 2007HERE, MY DEAR: EXPANDED EDITIONhttp://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=4362928E-29F4-4B01-9D68-2DC48EC4E84FOpening the sketchbooks of a Marvin masterpieceWhat a creative hot streak Marvin Gaye was on in the 1970s: classic albums What???s Going On, Trouble Man, Let???s Get It On and I Want You; two great live albums; and, when he seemed to be losing commercial steam, up popped ???Got To Give It Up,??? a no. 1 smash.Often missing from that list is the record that came towards the end of the decade: Here, My Dear, released in December 1978, a wrenching yet beautifully rendered chronicle of the end of his first marriage. With mixed reviews and no hit singles, the album was not a big seller.Yet in the decades since Here, My Dear has become recognized as a masterpiece of romantic anguish. It???s also one of Marvin???s most influential recordings. Hear it in today???s young soul singers and in hip-hop's confessional raps. Listen to the many producers who obsess over every note. See it on the Rolling Stone and Mojo lists of Top Albums of All Time.To honor this great work on the eve of its 30th anniversary, Hip-OSelect.com announces a 2-CD expanded edition of the album. Included in Here, My Dear: Expanded Edition is a newly remastered version of the original album, plus, on the second disc???cleverly titled Hear, My Dear???all of the LP???s tracks newly mixed in old-school style (no overdubs) by select artists and producers. Marvin fans from Salaam Remi (Amy Winehouse, Nas), to Prince Paul (De La Soul), from Easy Mo Bee (Tupac, Alicia Keys) to Ahmir ????uestlove??? Thompson & James Posyer (The Roots, Jill Scott) dug deep into the tracks, delivering previously unreleased alternate versions that are new visions of the songs. (See track list.)Hear demo vocals and alternate instrumentation. Spoken word passages left off the LP. Longer mixes with sick breaks from the original multi-track master tapes.That???s not all, as a bonus track rounds out each disc: ???Ain???t It Funny (How Things Turn Around),??? a posthumously released track now in undubbed form for the first time, a mix produced by P-Funk???s Bootsy Collins; and the rare, original 12-inch instrumental version of ???A Funky Space Reincarnation.???This extraordinary collection is housed in a deluxe digi-pak that features a reproduction of the original album cover art, scans of master tape boxes and memorabilia from around the world. Further complementing the set is a richly textured 28-page booklet, packed with full lyrics, an essay by Gaye biographer David Ritz, and two sidebar essays detailing the creation of the controversial cover art and the making of this edition. In true Hip-oSelect.com style, also included are comprehensive recording and musician annotations for the first time.Hear Here, My Dear all over again???or discover a classic for the first time.Disc 1: Original LP1. Here, My Dear2. I Met a Little Girl3. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You4. Anger5. Is That Enough6. Everybody Needs Love7. Time To Get It Together8. Sparrow9. Anna's Song10. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Instrumental)11. A Funky Space Reincarnation12. You Can Leave, But It's Going To Cost You13. Falling in Love Again14. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Reprise)15. Extra: Ain???t It Funny (How Things Turn Around) alternate mix by Bootsy CollinsDisc 2: Hear, My Dear: Sessions 1976-781. Here, My Dear alternate mix by Mocean Worker2. I Met a Little Girl alternate version mixed by Easy Mo Bee3. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You alternate version mixed by Leon Ware & Ge4. Anger alternate extended mix by Marcus Miller5. Is That Enough? (Instrumental) alternate version mixed by Montez Payton6. Everybody Needs Love alternate version mixed by Prince Paul7. Time To Get It Together alternate extended mix by DJ Smash8. Sparrow alternate version mixed by The Randy Watson Experience (Ahmir ????uestlove??? Thompson & Jame9. Anna???s Song (Instrumental) alternate version mixed by John Rhone10. A Funky Space Reincarnation alternate extended mix by John Morales+Paul Simpson11. You Can Leave, But It's Going To Cost You alternate extended mix by John Rhone12. Falling in Love Again alternate version mixed by Salaam Remi13. Original 12-inch: A Funky Space Reincarnation (Instrumental)

Comments

• I wonder if anybody at Motown held on to the Here, My Dear TV commercial?

• and the rare, original 12-inch instrumental version of ???A Funky Space Reincarnation.???

that's not really rare is it? I think i paid $2 for that record.

• the second disc???cleverly titled Hear, My Dear???

very clever.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    yes to all of the above - the commercial is a trip, the 12" is far from rare and the "clever" "Here, My Dear" is anything but. I had high hopes for this project, but it's not looking too good after reading that. I don't want anybody fuckin with that record. I don't need a Prince Paul remix of Here My Dear I just want alternate takes and unreleased material.
    This kind of pisses me off.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    and the rare, original 12-inch instrumental version of ???A Funky Space Reincarnation.???

"Rare" = not on CD. I guess.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    yes to all of the above - the commercial is a trip, the 12" is far from rare and the "clever" "Here, My Dear" is anything but. I had high hopes for this project, but it's not looking too good after reading that. I don't want anybody fuckin with that record. I don't need a Prince Paul remix of Here My Dear I just want alternate takes and unreleased material.
    This kind of pisses me off.

I couldn't agree more...

This is my favorite Marvin record, and in my opinion easily comparable to What's Goin On. One that just forces the listener to tune in and owns you while you have it on. I am never usually a fan of the remix project, and this one seems like it will only fare slightly better than most. I would have to think that if Hip-O-Select is releasing it, as they are a very credible company, that there must not be much in the way of unreleased material from that session. This is really too bad, as I have been hoping to see this get the archive treatment for a long time now. I'll still want to hear this.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Would Anna Gordy or her estate receive monies from the sale of this revised album? Or was the a one-time deal when the og was released?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    cosign with day

btw how does mocean worker get to touch this stuff...he must be someone's nephew right?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This reminds me of the botched job that was I>Illmatic: 10th Anniversary Platinum Edition/I>.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1. Here, My Dear alternate mix by Mocean Worker
    2. I Met a Little Girl alternate version mixed by Easy Mo Bee
    4. Anger alternate extended mix by Marcus Miller
    5. Is That Enough? (Instrumental) alternate version mixed by Montez Payton
    6. Everybody Needs Love alternate version mixed by Prince Paul
    7. Time To Get It Together alternate extended mix by DJ Smash
    8. Sparrow alternate version mixed by The Randy Watson Experience (Ahmir ????uestlove??? Thompson & Jame
    9. Anna???s Song (Instrumental) alternate version mixed by John Rhone
    10. A Funky Space Reincarnation alternate extended mix by John Morales+Paul Simpson
    11. You Can Leave, But It's Going To Cost You alternate extended mix by John Rhone
    12. Falling in Love Again alternate version mixed by Salaam Remi

This isnt Deluxe IMO. Its some re-release w/ a REMIX project attached. FUCK That. Sell that shit separately.
    Motown already dropped an official CD a while ago w/ liner notes from that Gaye biographer.

How could they have dropped the ball w/ this shit. Compared this to the In Our Lifetime? Project that was mostly outakes and unrelaesed stuff/versions. WTF.

And theyre still gonna get my money which is the real fault.

See it on the Rolling Stone and Mojo lists of Top Albums of All Time.

Havent these dudes been stuck on What's Goin On for the the last 30+ years.

And when did Here My Dear emerge as the tasters choice?
    Dudes were not playin this OUT in the 90's as i recall.

there must not be much in the way of unreleased material from that session.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cosign on much of the above - that second disc looks surprisingly terrible for Hip-O. I'm pretty surprised but I think it's possible that there wasn't much excess from the original sessions to create a second disc.

As for the "redemption" of the album that Batmon was talking about...I don't think it's about playing the LP out...I think people have long liked this album b/c of the insane pathos behind it. It's just a crazy project, you know?

As for the "redemption" of the album that Batmon was talking about...I don't think it's about playing the LP out...I think people have long liked this album b/c of the insane pathos behind it. It's just a crazy project, you know?

Yeah. The regular public still doesnt know about this album. Its seems only music heads really discuss its relevance. I used to play it during my DJ days and %99 of cats wouldnt know what the hell it was. And now its being remixed by popular DJs and is on top 10 lists? Maybe its simple time + exposure, but i still think its hasnt really been canonized by the public.
    And its Dark Horse status is what gives it its mystique, cause i can go into most Local Black Exp collections and this wouldnt be present.

• Cosign on much of the above - that second disc looks surprisingly terrible for Hip-O. I'm pretty surprised but I think it's possible that there wasn't much excess from the original sessions to create a second disc.

they could always put out an acapella version of key tracks...the acapella version of "I Want You" is pretty amazing. I'd take that over a remix, i really hope that those remixes don't suck.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I wonder if anybody at Motown held on to the Here, My Dear TV commercial?

Woah...there was a commercial filmed for Here, My Dear?!? Can anyone who's seen it offer a synopsis or, better yet, a youtube/dailymotion link to this ad?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    and the rare, original 12-inch instrumental version of ???A Funky Space Reincarnation.???

that doesnt make sense, i have paid $1 for very rare records before that doesnt mean they werent/arent rare.
    but i would have prefered to see this with higher caliber producers, there are a couple of good names on that list, but this was marvin, i have seen a pop artist get better remixes than that list

• I wonder if anybody at Motown held on to the Here, My Dear TV commercial?

Woah...there was a commercial filmed for Here, My Dear?!? Can anyone who's seen it offer a synopsis or, better yet, a youtube/dailymotion link to this ad?

As best as I remember it, it was a slightly animated version of the cover design (which actually wasn't as busy or tacky as that might sound), while the title track ("this song is for YOUUU") played on the soundtrack.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I wonder if anybody at Motown held on to the Here, My Dear TV commercial?

As best as I remember it, it was a slightly animated version of the cover design (which actually wasn't as busy or tacky as that might sound), while the title track ("this song is for YOUUU") played on the soundtrack.

Yep, with some guy narrating what the album is about. It's on one of those Marvin biography DVDs.

• cosign with day

btw how does mocean worker get to touch this stuff...he must be someone's nephew right?

Mocean Worker is Joel Dorn's son. So yeah, he's got connections if for no other reason that his dad was a big name in the music industry. That said, I actually like a lot of the Mocean Worker original stuff...the remixes, well, maybe not so much.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Cosign on much of the above - that second disc looks surprisingly terrible for Hip-O. I'm pretty surprised but I think it's possible that there wasn't much excess from the original sessions to create a second disc.

If that's the case, then I think it would be more honest to release the remix CD as its own entity. If you're going to release a Deluxe version of an album, I think think it should be full of outtakes/alternate versions/live cuts from the artists themselves, not remixes by other artists that have no input from the original creators. I've got the Deluxe versions of What's Goin On and Let's Get It On, those releases got it right.

• 6. Everybody Needs Love alternate version mixed by Prince Paul

i completely agree with all of the re-mix hate and i will not buy this re-release because of it- but i am curious to hear what paul does with this????

Im gonna bitch some more......

Disc 1: Original LP
    1. Here, My Dear
    2. I Met a Little Girl
    3. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You
    4. Anger
    5. Is That Enough
    6. Everybody Needs Love
    7. Time To Get It Together
    8. Sparrow
    9. Anna's Song
    10. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Instrumental)
    11. A Funky Space Reincarnation
    12. You Can Leave, But It's Going To Cost You
    13. Falling in Love Again
    14. When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Reprise)

15. Extra: Ain???t It Funny (How Things Turn Around) alternate mix by Bootsy Collins[/b]

Why the hell is is this attached to the OG batch. WTF.
    If it aint an outtake/official version put it on the Remix disc.