Weekend Finds

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
SUPheres the dumb shit i got at da antique store today:IMG src=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/k/knight_boob_boobiekni_101b.jpg>IMG src=http://www.pixelpunk.ch/unsortierte%20LP%20covers/SCRA---Ship-Album.jpg>IMG src=http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/580/587058.jpg>and SEALED:IMG src=http://www.starzik.com/album_thumb.php?ID=8545&H=183&W=183>opened it and played it, CLEANEST record ive ever heard...which seems like a given but ive opened so many original records on other labels that sounded VG+ at best...

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    REAL WORLD FINDS:

PURE FIRE.. DARCY,.. WOULD YOU EVER COME BACK AND DANCE WITH ME???

nice one.. but i prefer the "roots" lp..

quite nice as well.. marvin hannibal peterson on MPS.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Please record Boobie Knight and post it. Thanks! -Chad

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Garage Sale finds this morning. $2/record. Who charges that at Garage sales? I'm ok with it though. Too bad these aren't in nicer shape. The vinyl is pretty clean. Dude says he had just sold off a bunch of East LA punk. Pissed I missed.

Oh, and I'm going back for this...

• Few grabs:

Rolando Alphonso - King Sax (studio 1) Anybody know anything about this one? I dont know reggae..

Townes Van Zandt - Delta Momma Blues (tomato)
    Townes Van Zandt - Live And Obscure (sugar hill)

• Garage Sale finds this morning. $2/record. Who charges that at Garage sales? I'm ok with it though. Too bad these aren't in nicer shape. The vinyl is pretty clean. Dude says he had just sold off a bunch of East LA punk. Pissed I missed.

i remember i had found that mustapha record, and i had just heard about mulatu of ethiopia so i got the names mixed up and thought i had just scored the mulatu of ethiopia. i was calling up my friends telling them i had found mulatu! then i actually listened to the record!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I actually don't know what it is. I picked it up because it had the right words on it. Is it terrible?

I went back for the Cal Tjader. He wanted $7 for that one. Sheesh. His dad brought it back from the war. It's got green vinyl though, not red. This was my first major latin score in the real world. I'm excited to get done with my two jobs today so I can go listen.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

That Santana/Coltrane is nuts, i picked it up at the Utrecht fair. Played it last night and my 2 1/2 year old son fuckin hated it,started jumping up and down screaming No!, Wifey said it was hippy crap and the 2 month old started crying... I need to listen again.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Please record Boobie Knight and post it. Thanks! -Chad

ill try to when i get home...not sure if youve heard the whole thing but its extremely underwhelming in my opinion....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I went back for the Cal Tjader. He wanted $7 for that one. Sheesh.

Damn, dude - first you griped because you had to pay $2 each for
    a bunch of great Latin joints, now you get irked because he wanted
    $7 for a record that you only came back for because you found a $100
    popsike listing? What part of the game is that? You shoulda been copping
    the Tjader on the first time through, anyway, at least before you dropped
    $2 on Grover Washington Live at the Bijou ...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    You shoulda been copping

seriously.
    wtf?

• You shoulda been copping

seriously.
    wtf?

ha! why would pass on any 60s Tjader and pick up a groover warshington instead? Tjader gots that vibe heat son!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

I went back for the Cal Tjader. He wanted $7 for that one. Sheesh.

Damn, dude - first you griped because you had to pay $2 each for
    a bunch of great Latin joints, now you get irked because he wanted
    $7 for a record that you only came back for because you found a $100
    popsike listing? What part of the game is that? You shoulda been copping

Sorry, I should of inserted sarcasm emoticons when talking about prices. I knew I was coming up on stuff. And as for the Cal Tjader, he told me about it, but couldn't find it when I was there and said to come back later, which I did, and got some other records. I'm actually totally amazed to find this kind of Latin at a garage sale. And very happy about it. I would have paid more for it regardless of worth. The jackets are in pretty poor shape, so I knew I wasn't going to make tons of money on this one. I'm just really glad to have beefed up my Latin collection. That's what brought me to Soul Strut in the first place, was to learn more about Latin.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    good weekend. bargain bins and a house buy.

courtial is a triple. holler.

• wow does this record suck:

this one's actually pretty good:

• some stuff ive got in trade and a few german bits bought off ebay.de

the KATI KOVACS is the best album ive got by her -- loads of killer tracks on this one... the HALLO has some good shit and some mediocre stuff.
    really enjoying the Dr JOHN - i listened to it about 5 times in a row when i got it.

the TIGER B. SMITH is quite fun.

the 7's are:
    THE HOLLIES - "hey willy" (everyone knows how great this is)
    SHOCKING BLUE - "send me a postcard" (finally!!)
    HOT SOUP - "gettin in my way again" (receommended to me in a trade - id never heard of it but its pretty great garargey, pschy rock with tuff drums)

• OHMYGOD.

Hammer, I NEED that Bengals 45. #1 on wantlist with a Ken Anderson bullet.

GREAT find.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey Shitzr[/b],

Please to tell what that Matt The Cat lp sounds like!

• actually not only weekend finds, but the highlights of some records I got within the last week - definitely my best week in 2007

US Stuff:

Ricardo Marrero is

EURO stuff:

• Good to see danish singer Gitte H??nning getting some love on the Strut. I have always hoped to find that record in the field but never succeeded. Whats that track called - something with "hell", right?

Whats the rest of the lp like?

Peace,

Dress

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

That Santana/Coltrane is nuts, i picked it up at the Utrecht fair. Played it last night and my 2 1/2 year old son fuckin hated it,started jumping up and down screaming No!, Wifey said it was hippy crap and the 2 month old started crying... I need to listen again.

huh, I have it and remember thinking after one or two spins it was a little too innocuous sounding. Mental note made to go back to that one tonight.

• Good to see danish singer Gitte H??nning getting some love on the Strut. I have always hoped to find that record in the field but never succeeded. Whats that track called - something with "hell", right?

Peace,

Dress

It's really a great LP - you're referring to "Go to hell" - there are some great other tunes as "marriage is for old folks" or "my kind of world".
    I think it's her only jazz lp, but there are various german pressings with different titles and labels - all of them are not so easy to find and very indemand in Japan.

a possible description: European Female vocal jazz arranged by Francy Boland with top european 60s jazz musicians

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

Can never seem to lay anything out on the floor w/o becoming this guy.

Peace,

Dress

It's really a great LP - you're referring to "Go to hell" - there are some great other tunes as "marriage is for old folks" or "my kind of world".
    I think it's her only jazz lp, but there are various german pressings with different titles and labels - all of them are not so easy to find and very indemand in Japan.

a possible description: European Female vocal jazz arranged by Francy Boland with top european 60s jazz musicians

Really, I like this stuff. The Clarke/Boland big band brought the best jazz musicians in Europe at the moment together, and what a beautiful sound they had!

• Nothing real fancy, but worth the $3.71 I spent at Value World
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So far I really like the Timmy Thomas and the Music Explosion, The Gallery wasn't too bad. Earth Quake and Silver Metre are The rest I haven't listened to yet.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Timmy Thomas & Music Explosion are prob the pick of the bunch, the Billy Paul & American Breed are ok too. The rest you will probably find a little

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my man at double d in atown had a half off sale on all punk/indie stuff that had been sitting around for a while. this is what i picked up from there--

later on that evening i went through a part of found like 6 crates of records on the side of the street ready for the trashman. all 12"s from the late 70s to the mid 80s--i loaded up my car and took them to my storage unit and rummaged through them. it was a very cold evening to dig through them there--my hands felt like they were going to fall off--but--

found loads of stuff including...

12"s were in excellent minty shape. the edges of the covers and the labels had some residue from what looked to be a fire. no warping or anything. so if they look dirty--that is why. a little smoke-smell. but excellent asides from that.

there is a ton of other stuff too from that score too-- such as: beastie boys -- cookie puss 12" on rat cage, loads of profile promos--disco four, fresh 3 mcs, pumpkin, etc, 2 copies of serena's 'get your body up' on wilcur, le club, the key, some italo , hi-nrg, electro, some moder soul/boogie, just a ton of stuff that can easily get me 10-50 dollars each.

flea market/thrift finds --

and...

original swedish pressings from the hep stars. swedish beat/pop which featured benny who later went on to form abba!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

SHOCKING BLUE - "send me a postcard" (finally!!)

what does send me a poastcard sound like? i have the lonesome road 45 with acka ragh on the flip

• SHOCKING BLUE - "send me a postcard" (finally!!)

what does send me a poastcard sound like? i have the lonesome road 45 with acka ragh on the flip

its a ridiculous fuzz guitar/massive drums garage dancefloor killer!!! insanely cathcy too boot...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

original swedish pressings from the hep stars. swedish beat/pop which featured benny who later went on to form abba!

And Svenne Hedlund who later formed the terrible pop duo Svenne & Lotta (the swedish equivalent of Captain & Tenille?) with his soon-to-be wifey.

I see those Hep Stars 45s around a lot at fleas, but I never pick them up. Never really could get into that stuff. Maybe I'm sleeping.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    found dis in the euro bins.

but dont tell nobody