songs you love that are painful to listen to

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
(bitter sweet related)this robert wyatt cover of chic takes me to sadtown

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It certainly gives me pause when I hear an Elliott Smith song, considering I imagine a knife sticking out of the man's chest whenever my lady plays one. Between herself and I, we have nearly everything - b-sides, bootlegs, and otherwise - that the man recorded.

I haven't given Nirvana's Unplugged In New York a play for about - god - 6 or 7 years now. Whenever Q101 would play "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" after it was released, especially late at night when it was quiet, it was hard to stop thinking: "Jesus - this man blew his own head off with a shotgun." It's such a stunning (and respectful) song in its own right that the necessary association is really strong.

I suppose that I don't really have many personal (situational) associations with songs. I don't internalize like I used to, and I don't have a trail of exes and "couple songs" to which I can tie any negativity.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Beach Boys "Forever"

• That unreleased Kanye song that should've been titled "Apologize." (I actually think it was titled incorrectly on the white label.)

• grateful dead - ripple, because my uncle started crying while he was playing it with my dad's old friend at my dad's memorial.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Bill Withers' 'Hope She'll Be Happier With Him' gives me the chills and the blues.

• Bill Withers' 'Hope She'll Be Happier With Him' gives me the chills and the blues.

Yes, tough song. Grandma's Hands too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Alot of Billy Bragg songs, especially stuff from "Talking To The Taxman About Poetry".

• Alot of Billy Bragg songs, especially stuff from "Talking To The Taxman About Poetry".

At My Window Sad and Lonely by Billy Bragg & Wilco, really more of a Wilco song but this one gets me choked up as does One by One from the same record.

• (bitter sweet related)

this robert wyatt cover of chic takes me to sadtown

I love his version of this song so much. incidentally, a large part of the Rock Bottom LP gets to me as well.

• jeff buckley - lover, you should've come over.

• Nick Drake - Black Eyed Dog

It sounds like a musical suicide note...

• George Jones "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

That is one helluva sad song, but so beautiful.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    "I Miss You" - Melvin & the Blue Notes

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    (bitter sweet related)

I love his version of this song so much. incidentally, a large part of the Rock Bottom LP gets to me as well.

I started a thread a while back about how this album takes me to a dark place, and it didn't yield more than a few WTFs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If anyone feels like they need to cry someday, these 2 should get you there:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    George Jones "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

That is one helluva sad song, but so beautiful.

I saw Tom Jones pretty much wrestle the song to the ground, strangle it, and oversing the hell out of it, and it was STILL beautiful!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Frank Sinatra version of "Why Try To Change Me Now" - the
    last time he says "... don't you remember, I was always your clown"
    is sung with such heartbreak that I find it almost unlistenable.

• I Know I have posted this before but god damn this song is sad.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    There's some Laura Lee schitt that gets me a little emo.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Someday We'll All Be Free - Aretha Franklin

When this comes, it reminds me of the end of Malcom X... Get's me everytime

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    air - realize

• "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"
    i really like leadbellys version!

Mckinley Mitchell - the town i live in
    velvet underground - who loves the sun
    miles davis- little church
    brenton wood - gimme little sign

• I Know I have posted this before but god damn this song is sad.

Who is this, Marva Whitney?

• "Sadie" by the Spinners

(a mother's love is something you don't question, and it's sad to think that "Sadie" passed away...great song, but a little too emotionally draining for me...gets me straight in the awwww)

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". It's kind of a double whammy, as it came out around the time my Dad died, and also because of Cash's fragile health when it was made.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "Where Did You Sleep Last Night"
    i really like leadbellys version!

Well, of course.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I Know I have posted this before but god damn this song is sad.

Who is this, Marva Whitney?

Yes. "Your Love Was Good For Me."

I believe that this was from the "Playboy After Dark" show.

• there arent many songs that i love whose content is painful to listen to. 2 come to mind.

1. tb sheets. this song hurts.

2. the final recordings of billie holiday. ok, im not the biggest billie holiday fan. i dont mind her, but i am not a fan. so this one time i tried to force myself to appreciate ladyday. i got a couple greatest hits type cd's and then i found the "final recordings of billie holiday" on vinyl. i gotta say this record is thee example of songs that i love that are painful to listen to. this is the only record i ever willingly threw in the garbage. it is one of the most heartbreaking things to hear billie holiday in this state. it hurts to even think about it. anyways, thats all.

• (bitter sweet related)

Thanks for this - beautiful & sad, I love/hate it.

This is a song I wrote and a friend recorded (WARNING: it's total rubbish) but it takes me back into the morning I wrote it, which was after spending the night in a bed with my partner who I lived with, who had been out all night having a threesome with a couple I had know for 8 years.