what's the worst record you got in the last month?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Okay I take alot of chances (no portable) and every so often I buy a dud or two on ebay. Worst 2 lp's I bought in the past month- same group, 2 different albums- Ambiance 2 fusion and Ambiance "coulors in space". Wack ass corny shit from 1985 and 1986. Bullshit jazz with synthesizers. Beware of this shit. Don't let ebay listings fool you. I coulda sworn a while back somebody on here said these albums were great spiritual jazz. Nope. I will say though that the only redeeming thing is that theres a few sample worthy moments. Thats bout it though. What turds have you wasted money on recently?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    James Brown-Soul on Top. what a big turd of an album

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I bought a 45 last night by a group called Sugar Bears. It was on a label (Big Tree) where it could have been anything from reggae to psych to disco...instead it was some really godawful bubblegum pop, like the most soul-less sound imaginable. I hadn't expected much, it was out of a quarter bin of 45's, but I checked on eBay to see if it had any value. It doesn't, but the songs were orginally released on a cardboard cut-out record on the back of a cereal box:

I mean, I just thought they were a crappy pop group, I was not expecting it to supposed to be the "Sugar Bear" of cereal fame and pseudo-bing-crosby TV ads! And Honey Bear, the female half shown in the cartoon, is Kim Carnes, the chick who had one of those one-and-done Grammies in the early 80's with "Bette Davis Eyes." Ugh.

God, this record sucks.

Buy the whole album ASAP:

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I used to love thost Sugar Bear commercials. He'd always end his dialogues with the nonsequitous (I don't care if that isn't a word), "How would you like a vitamin packed punch?" Then he would proceed to do anything but punch someone.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    God, this record sucks.

Buy the whole album ASAP:

Sugar Bears on eBay

Cover looks pretty nice.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Readers beware:

This is the kind of thread that will mess with you in the future. I've purchased at least a few records on a whim that I thought people praised (w/o a portable at the time), got them home and realized they were complete dookie platters.

Just make sure you get your mind right.

Carry on!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Just make sure you get your mind right.

Carry on!

and don't buy records while your stoned, i have listend to many a record while high in the store only to get home and realise i was trippin and the great record turns out to be total bullshit

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Huh? That's a dope one dude. James Brown goes big band. Good listener and there's a couple of good funky cuts.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Roy Ayers - He's Coming

Huh? That's a dope one dude. James Brown goes big band. Good listener and there's a couple of good funky cuts.

Cozine. Took me a couple listens to really get into, but there's one cut (on the B side I think?) that is THICK funky - orchestration and all. I'm not at the crib to give the exact title, but you should give it another chance, P.

Roy Ayers - He's Coming

I am going to ignore this post.

Everyone else should too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Cozine. Took me a couple listens to really get into, but there's one cut (on the B side I think?) that is THICK funky

and even when he's not "funky" (yeah, like you can get that fatback feel with the louis bellson band!), theres some choice cuts on here. i actually prefer the marathon remake here of "man's world" to the hit version. for once, oliver nelson's arrangements actually add to the song, rather than get in the way (like on those jimmy smith lps on verve).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Readers beware:

This is the kind of thread that will mess with you in the future. I've purchased at least a few records on a whim that I thought people praised (w/o a portable at the time), got them home and realized they were complete dookie platters.

disagree. so somebody recommended a record that you thought was a turd? that person probably had different tastes than you, so who's to say?

p.s. "you are the one" by the sugar bears is really good bubblegum, if you swing that way

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I can't rember the name..It's a female folk artist from the 70's.. it was a quarter at the thrift...It's got a drawing on of some little characters playing guitar on the cover and a lot of songs about lesbians...I'll attempt to post a pic tonight

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Roy Ayers - He's Coming

Co-sign.

For me it's

Beatles: White Album
    Coltrane: Love Supreme
    and the ultra-whack Alice Clark record on Mainstream. What a waste of time. Anyone have any doubles of early Living Colour. and I'm out.

Readers beware:

disagree. so somebody recommended a record that you thought was a turd? that person probably had different tastes than you, so who's to say?

p.s. "you are the one" by the sugar bears is really good bubblegum, if you swing that way

Misunderstood. Somebody said a record was garbage and I got it thinking he said it was dope. I'm making reference to the fact that in the process of putting up pictures of records in Weekend Finds threads and others like this one, it's easy to remember the cover and not the details of what the poster said about it.

I'm therefore recommending that people file records pictured/listed in this thread under "listen before buy or don't buy at all" depending on taste - of course.

• Roy Ayers - He's Coming

Co-sign.

For me it's

Beatles: White Album
    Coltrane: Love Supreme
    and the ultra-whack Alice Clark record on Mainstream. What a waste of time. Anyone have any doubles of early Living Colour. and I'm out.

How in the hell can A Love Supreme be on any kind of worst list! That session is beyond monumental, not only in jazz, but all music in general. Someone back me up quick so I don't think I woke up in bizzaro world.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

You like that Love Supreme Garbagio. You probably also dig Sara Vaughn and Eric Dolphy. EGHHH It's all about the Boots Randolph son. You need that Yakety Sax record. Now that's Jazz. Homey.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Out of your fucking mind.

J.B. with Oliver Nelson arrangements =

Have you listened to "September Song" or "That's My Desire" yet?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah, Vitamin said "Yakety Sax."

• You like that Love Supreme Garbagio. You probably also dig Sara Vaughn and Eric Dolphy. EGHHH It's all about the Boots Randolph son. You need that Yakety Sax record. Now that's Jazz. Homey.

Straight up agitator. I've passed gas thats sounded better than any Boots Randolph run. Now I know you're just fucking around.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If you haven't already yawl should check out that SOUL ON TOP cd that came out recently... some songs are extended and there's a couple bonus cuts...

Cozine. Took me a couple listens to really get into, but there's one cut (on the B side I think?) that is THICK funky - orchestration and all. I'm not at the crib to give the exact title, but you should give it another chance, P.

"The Man In The Glass"

By the way, if you still aren't into it, hollier at me - my copy is HIT!

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

Their earlier ones are good but this....fusion lite with a couple of passable moments. Avoid.