Favorite Early Rap-A-Lot Joints

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
It's fresh to see people posting about hip-hop again on the boards.I've been going through stacks of radio station wax recently, purging a bunch of junk, but also keep coming up on dope early 90s promo 12-inches on Rap-A-Lot, which I rarely hear mentioned outside of Geto Boys / Scarface / Texas threads.Some favorites:O.G. Style - Catch 'Em Slippin (I wish there was an instrumental)Convicts - This is For the Convicts (how is the LP?)Odd Squad - I Can't See It (kinda goofy but good)

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Probably one of my favorites is Raheem's "5th Ward"

released apparently in '92.
    http://www.discogs.com/release/487867

• I always liked Seagram's record.

• It isn't that early but Big Mike's Playa Playa from 1994 was always a big fave.

• It isn't that early but Big Mike's Playa Playa from 1994 was always a big fave.

• The Convicts
    Big Mello
    Before nasty Lil Kim there was Choice
    Too Much Trouble aka Baby Geto Boys
    5th ward Boys
    5th ward juveniles

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The Convicts LP is essential. Excellent.

Here's another slept on one:

I know, the title...Its a good record, tho. Maybe someone can drop some knowlegde on this one? It really sounds different than other rap-a-lot releases from the same time.

• The Convicts LP is essential. Excellent.

Here's another slept on one:

I know, the title...Its a good record, tho. Maybe someone can drop some knowlegde on this one? It really sounds different than other rap-a-lot releases from the same time.

My favorite by far!
    I featured 2 tracks off this album on one of my cds. I wrote some words on it too:
    http://www.sloppywhite.com/getsome/03.htm

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Slap ole Big Mello's Da Feva on negative 8ball and get right.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Great record. Dev IV was an all-DJ rap crew. One of the guys from the group, Vicious Lee, used to post a lot on oldschoolhiphop.com, along with Ready Red from the Geto Boys. I haven't been there in awhile, but I'm sure they're both still on there occasionally.

on the convicts as well.